• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Forbidden Marvels' Daredevil: The Man Without Fear (Completed)

Forbidden Marvels

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Daredevil is an exceptional (but often overlooked) part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Taking a much darker tone than the likes of Captain America and Iron Man, the 11 hour Season 1 story was not as easy to grasp for the average blockbuster fan. Yet, the Emmy nominated show would come to be a beloved niche and would kick-start a whole lower-stakes side to the expanse universe known as the Defender's saga.

Sources Used
  • Marvel's Daredevil: The Complete First Season
  • Marvel's Daredevil: The Complete First Season Official Soundtrack
  • Marvel's Captain America: The Winter Soldier
InformationForbidden Marvels' Daredevil: The Man Without Fear
Fanedit GenreTV-to-Movie
Runtime149 minutes (2 Hours and 29 minutes)
Video23.9:1 / 1920x800 / h.264
Audio5.1f Surround / AAC English + German
SubtitlesEnglish
File Size27.7gb (1080p) / 4.8gb (720p) / 1.9gb (Tiny Encode)

Changes (Spoilers Ahead)
  • All shots cropped to 2.39:1 (1920x800)
  • Title graphic added the end of the intro scene.
  • Added Marvel Studios intro sourced from Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  • Opening Credit sequence recycled as Mid-Credit sequence.
  • Day scenes are all recolored to have a more natural look.
  • Every scene featured has dialogue trimmed in order to remove details from scenes not featured and/or save time.
  • Jack Murdock's "Get to work Matty" flashback replaced with Jack and Matt saying "It doesn't Matter How you Hit the Mat..."
  • Cut fade transition after action sequence.
    Dialogue trimmed in argument between Ben Urich and Ellison.
  • Plot details from episodes 3, 4, and 8 mostly covered in action montage.
  • Claire is no longer a named character in this edit, she appears once and has no play in the plot.
  • Russian's subtitles re-implemented for wide-screen (Font is close, but not identical to the original)
    Touch My Face scene trimmed.
  • Vladimir is no longer shot in the leg.
  • Leslie Shumway story cut.
  • Detective Blake does not survive the shooting in Episode 6.
  • Black Sky plot-line removed. Stick only appears in flashbacks and at the end.
  • All mentions of Daredevil assaulting Leland Owsley removed.
  • Bill Fisk's murder is only implicitly mentioned.
  • Training Scene from Episode 1 reworked into montage covering final plot-points before Act 3.
  • Fisk's arrest scene combined with Samaritan monologue.
  • Vanessa's involvement in Fisk's escape removed.
  • Avengers Tower added to the end of the Cut
  • Subtitles added to credit sequence in the likeness of the original in order to supplement the cropping process.
  • "The Man Without Fear" Appears at the end of the credits in sync with the heartbeats.
  • Mid-Credit Scene from the end of Episode 8.
This is the first fanedit in a larger project to cover every season of MCU related Marvel TV content with a physical release. My edits of Jessica Jones Season 1, Iron Fist Season 1, and a collaborative edit of Agent Carter Season 1 are all available for viewing as well.

Last edited:

stferguson78

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sounds like an exciting project, what is the focus of the story in terms of reducing the 11hour run time to 150 minutes? I ask as there must be a huge amount story removed. I’ve been a huge fan of the Daredevil series on Netflix, particularly the depictions of Murdock & Kingpin (& in later series Punisher & Bullseye), and would be really interested in seeing what you’ve come up with

revel911

Reaction score
Trophy Points
What is the base story? What story lines did you keep?

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Forbidden Marvels said:
The changes are too numerous considering the nature of the edit. Most notably, ever single shot in the entire film has been strategically cropped in order to develop a widescreen aspect ratio.

Do you intend to submit this to the academy for IFDB review? If so part of the process is to list out the cuts/changes.

Forbidden Marvels

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
stferguson78 said:
Sounds like an exciting project, what is the focus of the story in terms of reducing the 11hour run time to 150 minutes? I ask as there must be a huge amount story removed. I’ve been a huge fan of the Daredevil series on Netflix, particularly the depictions of Murdock & Kingpin (& in later series Punisher & Bullseye), and would be really interested in seeing what you’ve come up with
The focus of the story is essentially the main plot of Season 1, but absent of most of the filler like the Madame Gao and Nobu plotlines. It really zero's in on Matt Murdock's arc more so than the other characters. I really wanted to zone in on Murdock's struggle with religion and no-killing code. I followed Marvel's formula as close as possible without removing the darker parts of the story.

DigModiFicaTion said:
Forbidden Marvels said:
The changes are too numerous considering the nature of the edit. Most notably, ever single shot in the entire film has been strategically cropped in order to develop a widescreen aspect ratio.

Do you intend to submit this to the academy for IFDB review? If so part of the process is to list out the cuts/changes.

That is the intention, I can list them.

All shots cropped to 1920x800
Title graphic added the end of the intro scene
Added Widescreen Marvel Studios intro sourced from Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Human trafficking scene now cuts to Father Lantom scene from Episode 3 instead of the Opening Credits.
Father Lantom Scene recolored.
"He can have the view scene" recolored.
Dialogue trimmed when Nelson and Murdock meet Karen.
Stick's "Get Up" flashback replaces Jack Murdock's "Get to work Matty" flashback.
Cut horrible vanilla transition after action sequence.
Dialogue trimmed in argument between Ben Urich and Ellison.
"He's not a nut" scene recolored.
Dialogue trimmed in Union Allied scene.
Dialogue trimmed in Stick Training scene
Episodes 2 and 4 mostly covered in action montage using the song "Beautiful Crime" (Season 1 Trailer Song)
Claire unfortunately has been mostly removed.
Ms. Cardenas scene recolored and dialogue rearranged/trimmed.
Precinct scene recolored.
Landman and Zack scene recolored and dialouge trimmed.
Ms. Cardenas' house scene trimmed.
Kingpin dinner scene trimmed.
Russian's subtitles re-implemented for wide-screen (Font is close, but not identical to the original)
Touch My Face scene trimmed.
Vanessa watching the city on fire is reduced to a couple of seconds.
Vladimir is not shot in the leg and dialouge mentioning it have been removed.
Vladimir dialogue trimmed.
Hospital scene trimmed.
Leslie Shumway story cut.
Detective Blake does not survive the shooting in Episode 6.
Foggy and Karen at the hospital scene reduced to a couple of lines.
Daredevil meets Ben Urich scene dialouge trimmed and shots rearranged.
All mentions of Leland Owsley assaulted by the Devil of Hell's kitchen removed.
Fisk's speech trimmed.
Urich at Nelson and Murdock's scene trimmed and recolored.
Skips Daredevil searching for the junkie and jumps right to his interrogation.
Nobu fight dialouge trimmed.
Drunk Foggy and Karen dialogue trimmed.
Fisk beats Daredevil dialogue trimmed.
Ben Urich and Karen now find Fisk's mother while Matt and Foggy argue about vigilantism.
Marlene Vistain scene dialogue trimmed.
Foggy and Matt argument trimmed and is paced alongside Benefit scene.
Avocado's at law dialogue trimmed.
Wesley and Karen interrogation dialogue trimmed.
Path of the Righteous scene dialogue trimmed.
Training Scene from Episode 1 reworked to story montage leading into final act.
Fisk kills Ben dialogue trimmed.
Funeral scene dialogue trimmed.
Leland Owsley death scene dialogue trimmed.
Operatic scene combined with the Samaritan monologue.
Suit reveal trimmed for mentioning a cut scene.
Fisk and Vanessa's contingency removed.
Hell of a Sign scene dialogue trimmed.
Avengers Tower added to the end of the Cut
Opening Credits adjusted to widescreen and used as Closing Credits.
"The Man Without Fear" Appears at the end of the credits in sync with the heartbeats.
Post Credit Scene from the end of Episode 8.

stferguson78

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for clarifying, this is very ambitious but I’d love to see your work as the cut list has me intrigued. I’ve sent you a PM.

revel911

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am very interested. I just wanted to make sure that the cuts came out to a coherent movie vs just episodes cut down forced into movie length which is an issue that happens often for series to movie cuts.

Forbidden Marvels

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
revel911 said:
I am very interested. I just wanted to make sure that the cuts came out to a coherent movie vs just episodes cut down forced into movie length which is an issue that happens often for series to movie cuts.

The goal of the edit is to pass as a studio film

revel911

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The I will sign up as someone to give a workprint viewing if you need.

stferguson78

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Got an opportunity to watch this over the past few days and it was hugely impressive. I’m still not quite sure how a 13 episode TV show can be condensed into 2.5 hours and remain so coherent and enjoyable. I have PM’d the editor with some more specific feedback but the only significant issues I noticed were overpowering music making the narration difficult to hear during a montage and a transition with added text that took me out of the movie experience and reminded me I was watching a fan edit. There was also one issue with a key plot point reveal, but I am waiting to hear back from him as I may not have picked up on something. In summary, this is amazing work and it is clear how much time and effort has gone into it. With a few small tweaks it could be perfect. Well done.

Forbidden Marvels

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
revel911 said:
Sounds picky but the font for subtitle has an amateur look (couldn’t think of a nicer euphemism). Check here for movie fonts:

https://creativemarket.com/blog/movie-fonts

Are you referring to the subtitles used for the Russians? The goal was to replicate the subtitles from the original show, it's pretty close, but I couldn't find the original

revel911 said:
The I will sign up as someone to give a workprint viewing if you need.

That would be wonderful

revel911

Reaction score
Trophy Points
No the “Man Without Fear” second title. Which looks like if uses Garamond or Times Roman

Forbidden Marvels

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
revel911 said:
No the “Man Without Fear” second title. Which looks like if uses Garamond or Times Roman

It is Garamond, which is the font used for the intro credits. It's fair to say it looks amateurish. In retrospect, I could have added some shading on top

TinyBreadMouse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is so ambitious and promising. I'm very excited to see this.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thread moved to pending review.

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm a little hazy on the approval process, but I have watched this edit. Am I able to assist in the approval process of this edit?

Forbidden Marvels

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
For those who have followed this edit, a new version is available now with improved Video/Audio and revised plot details. As this edit is in the final steps before approval, I wanted to give the edit one last level of polish, and all current information has been updated on this thread's original post. Thanks for your support and stay tuned for the upcoming sequel!

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
For those who have followed this edit, a new version is available now with improved Video/Audio and revised plot details.
What are the revised plot details?

Also, is the fight in the garage/parking area in which Daredevil uses the darkness to his advantage included? I haven't watched your first edition all the way through, but I skipped through it to preview it and didn't see that scene.

Top Bottom