• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

For Your Eyes Only; 007 Cut; APPROVED

lapis molari

Better edits through feedback.
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
nostromo777 said:
Im going through the edit now. holy shit there is a ton of flash frames. i feel like adobe premiere has a psychotic break on my PC. something happened to cause this issue. so annoying. im going through edit by edit (hundreds) to fix them. :(

Did you save the render settings from v.3.1? Then you can compare those to the render settings from v.3.3 and figure out what changed. Hopefully that way you won't have to comb through every single transition.

nostromo777

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
no big deal.  im just taking this chance to go through the whole thing, and fix a few other things that bothered me.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
lapis molari said:
Hopefully that way you won't have to comb through every single transition.

No, do comb through every transition! ;)

Since @"nostromo777" made all the edits, he'll know exactly where they are and can check every one by watching through his final render to make sure flashframes are not present, before letting others see it. Quality control is part of good fanediting.

nostromo777

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
indeed.  It was all good before the last release.  I didnt expect my minor music edit to F*** up the whole thing.

lapis molari

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@"nostromo777" , I'm happy to hear your next update will have full surround again. Nice work!

One suggestion I have for the edit is to shorten the fade-to-blacks at the start and end of the film.

Your opening text is superb. Atypical but very good. The final fade shows just the title of the edit for a long time. I suggest fading the title together with the rest of the text and with that moving on to the next image faster.

From the final scene to the end credits, I suggest cutting most of the black fade. I made a test example, because that shows it better than a written description. I cut 2.25 seconds of silent black, then used a 4 second crossfade to connect the two pieces. Pw: fanedit.org

nostromo777

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
there was music in those two seconds, a light piano, playing the main theme.   I personally prefer it as is.

lapis molari

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
nostromo777 said:
there was music in those two seconds, a light piano, playing the main theme.   I personally prefer it as is.

Gotcha. In that case, may I offer the alternate suggestion to raise the volume of that piano? To make the final-scene music flow into the end-credit music at volumes that are closer to each other?

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Glad you're gonna fix this... it's easy to feel pissed off and downhearted by something like this.  This blending of frames happened to me on my first edit, so I know how you feel.  I then later made the error of releasing an edit before fully checking the final version... then I was told it had one flash frame in it.... I was so annoyed at myself... so now I always check the final release version all the way through before releasing it.

I look forward to watching the final version ;)

nostromo777

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ok, i went through it and fixed the flash frames, and put it  5.1.   dor some reason, the "BluRay h264" preset in adobe is only giving me a PCM audio option.  I did an MP4 file instead.  result is a 7.24gb file with AAC 5.1 640kbps .   i havent made the isolated score audio track yet.  i want to make sure the edit is clean before i do that.   Ill send it out to LastSurvivor and Lapis molari for review.

lapis molari

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Version 3.4 looks great. I see no flash frames and the volume is enjoyably better balanced than Version 3.1.

I now also completely agree with the piano notes at the end: raising the volume makes them a good bridge into the end credits. :)

I found three moments in v3.4 that can be improved further:

- At 17:06 - 17:48, just before and in the beginning of the 2CV chase, the dialog is now drowned out by the music. In v3.1 the dialog is clear because the music is quieter. The louder music is better in relation to the rest of the film, except for this bit. Can you fade up the volume of the music slowly, so those lines of dialog remain clear?

- At 41:30 minutes, it looks as if you wanted to remove the hug, but left the tail-end of it in. I recommend you either cut a few more frames, when Bibi lets go of Bond, or restore the shot of her hugging Bond and the short cutaway shot of Brink.

- At 56:30 - 56:40, the change from one music to the next is now very sudden. It didn't catch my attention in v3.1, and the only difference I find is the volume boost for the second tune. Can you fade up that increase a bit slower?

Any remaining fluctuation in volume is no worse than many other good edits and even original movies. I do recommend adding subtitles. At this point that'll take less effort than finding and tweaking ever shorter bits of volume, and give more bang-for-your-buck to help dialog clarity.

It really is remarkable that you succeeded in cutting half an hour from this film without that being obvious! The only part that feels trimmed is Bibi in the Alps, her role now feels too minor (that's okay, because most of it was awful!), for the rest the trims are perfectly placed and paced.

This edit replaces the original in my Bond collection!

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If this is for my eyes only, why are there 7 pages worth of posts that aren't mine? Clearly more eyes are seeing this.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What other pages? I can't see anything...

Jax20

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I really felt the original had some grit and greatness hidden between so many silly moments that seemed to overtake later Roger Moore films and this edit proves it. It's a SPECTACULAR piece of work, mostly because you don't realize there have been any edits at all if you have not watched the original. The excisions are seamless, the new soundtrack fits perfectly and the overall feeling is one of a much more focused and subdued thriller that benefits all of the involved.
An awesome labor of love and talent by nostromo777 and one I recommend 110% percent.

nostromo777

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Jax20 said:
I really felt the original had some grit and greatness hidden between so many silly moments that seemed to overtake later Roger Moore films and this edit proves it. It's a SPECTACULAR piece of work, mostly because you don't realize there have been any edits at all if you have not watched the original. The excisions are seamless, the new soundtrack fits perfectly and the overall feeling is one of a much more focused and subdued thriller that benefits all of the involved.
An awesome labor of love and talent by nostromo777 and one I recommend 110% percent.

Thank you for the kind words!  I hope to have my most recent version (just fixing errors, no major changes)   available soon.  Life/work has been all consuming lately.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
How is progress going on this awesome project?

nostromo777

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
good.  i think Im ready to resubmit.  need to do another pass to see if I missed anything.  Ive been really busy with life, and I also have been working on another project, War Of The Gargantuas

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
nostromo777 said:
good.  i think Im ready to resubmit.  need to do another pass to see if I missed anything.

Glad to hear it but you need to re-submit, we can just reactivate the original ifdb listing.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Has this awesome edit been fixed @"nostromo777" ? and can it go back on ifdb? I might want to vote for it in FEOTY but I'm not sure I can if it's not back up again.

lapis molari

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi @"nostromo777" , I made a cover for your FYEO edit. What do you think?
I too look forward to the completed final version. :cool:

For%20Your%20Eyes%20Only%20cover%20v1d.jpg

Top Bottom