• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Flunk Beta tape

AvP

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was correcting the AR and i noticed this mark anyone know what it is? and was it in the offical DVD?.

0180.jpg

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It looks like it could be a tape burn mark or something. Thats definitely from an analog source (Beta tape) and not an official DVD. You can see some very slight tape distortion at the bottom and top edge of the picture.

AvP

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh yes, never noticed that before, also its got red frames too, allways seems to be summat wrong with these beta tapes

0181.jpg

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
yes, its totally understandable that something would be wrong with the tapes. Its an analog source, and the format has LONG been dead. They are old tapes. One thing I will say, is that given all that, the picture looks great, especially when compared to its rival VHS. The picture is not milky at all.

It looks like the original creator added some sharpening to the picture. There is a bit of noise that eludes to this. But otherwise it looks decent.

AvP

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Whats the difference between VHS and beta tape, i never heard of the format untill i found these caps, so they couldnt bin that popular.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betamax

It was the rival to VHS in the mid-late 70's and into the 80's. It was similar to the Bluray - HDDVD format war. Betamax certainly had some quality advantages, but VHS won out.

I vaguely recall some Betamax tapes in movie rental shops when I was a kid, but I never actually watched one. All my family and friends had VHS at the time.

AvP

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh betamax, yes i remember them IRC they just had they showed one spinndle also i they did make a converter so you can play on VHS.

vhsc-adapters_.JPG

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
the tapes did show one spindle. but I think that one your talking about is a newer format made for camcorders. They were a smaller tape, and yes, they made converters to play in VHS. Betmax was something different

AvP

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I know what betamax is i had one (not for long) :)

AvP

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Then start calling them betamax and not beta-tape :p

Top Bottom