• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

First Time Editor Getting Started?

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi there!

Well for about six months now I have been enjoying Fanedit.org, reading the reviews, downloading and watching the different edits... all the while scribbling down ideas for my own edit projects.

So I think I have worked up the courage to maybe finally give this a try. But how to get started....? I am a computer idiot, I don't know the difference between my hard drive from my local hardware store! But I am patient and willing to learn.

So I thought I would ask what do I need to get started? What are the better editing software programs out there? What do you use and recommend? What do I need to rip a DVD, then break it down into files and edit scenes, insert new dialoge or music, create new credits or alter the aspect ratio, design new menus....etc? Is there one program that can do all that?

Also, does the type of computer you have make a significant difference? I have a three year old DELL Dimension 8300 with pentium 4. Is this okay for these types of projects?

Or the flip side, are there any Editing software programs that should be absolutely avoided?

You guys are the pros and I absolutely love the work you are doing and would greatly apprecitate any starting tips you can provide. :)

AvP

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
dvdfab or anydvd will rip the dvd

Ilubu

Reaction score
Trophy Points
i just started my one first time, after dvd decrypter i would suggest womble as i have dont most my edit on that program.. its not fantastic but as a first timer i am happy about it :)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
WOW! Thanks for all the great tips. Feel kind of silly that I didn't notice ADMs tutorial the first time I read through the "How to..." section.

How about computers though.... are certain types better than others? Mac vs. PC??? How much free memory should you have?

Aztek463

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
PC or Mac, it matters not. There are equally great tools for both platform. Free memory? Meh, doesn't matter. I edit under normal circumtances, meaning I don't turn anything off when I edit.

Ilubu

Reaction score
Trophy Points
the computer i edit on has a 3700+ amd 64 bit, 1 gig of memory and 200 gig hd.. nothing special but it allows me to run several programs at once which i have found to be farely usefull.. as long has the computer is less then 4 years old you should be fine.. just make sure you have enough free disk space

beckmen

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I edit (well, with Womble) on a 3.0ghz proc with usually 60-90gb freespace and a scant 512mb of RAM. It sometimes has to take a time out, but no major problems.

twistd101

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have 512MB of RAM, and Womble works great on my system. I am, however, not too thrilled with the output quality of the export feature. If you leave it so that it does a stream copy, it looks great, but anywhere you edit has flaws (audio glitches, pixilation, general "wtf"-ness), but if you set it so it re-encodes all streams, it fixes the problems, and the audio looks great, but there is odd artifacting throughout the entirety of the video. All in all, I say it's good to use, and good to start with, but your best bet is to use it to try your hand at editing. If you like it, I suggest maybe moving on to a more fancy editor. I'm going to try my hand at Vegas soon. Good luck!

beckmen

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, Womble flips out sometimes. The main problem is how crappy the video gets if you apply an effect to it (even a simple fade) and how sometimes when you export there will be a glitch and the audio gets out of sync.

Top Bottom