• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

File format and Editing with Adobe Premiere

Philfrog

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The only program I can use for editing is Adobe Premiere, which only allows me to edit with specially compressed Pinnacle AVI files. Any slight deviation in the compression of either the AVI, or whatever I'm trying to convert into an AVI, will make it unusable. DivX and Xvid are a no-go. Pinnacle TRex is very picky about what mpegs it converts to AVI.

I need to be able to convert mpeg2 files to the specific kind of AVI file that Premiere will read, and so far, I've had no luck. I tried VirtualDub, but with no positive results yet. I installed a Pinnacle plug-in, but the result were less than desirable. Am I missing something here?

I spent $35 on a DVD ripping program (MagicDVD) that gives me superb mpegs, but little else (only one, very lossy, AVI ripping option). AoA DVD Ripper has also been a disappointment (rips Pinnacle AVIs, but lossy and washed out). After all my "professional" editing experience, I guess I really am a novice here.

Does anyone else here use Premiere? What would I need to create a DVD quality edit on Premiere? Am I screwed?

Well, I am just curious as to why you can only use Premier.

I use Womble for Mpeg editing, and it works a treat. :)

I'm using a system outside of home, so my options are limited thusly. I'll see if I can give Womble a spin, though....

I do fan-edits w/ premiere. What version are you using? The newest can edit MPGs, which is your best bet in terms of quality. Editing w/ AVI is a pain in the ass when it comes to this stuff.

TeresofBlood said:
I do fan-edits w/ premiere. What version are you using? The newest can edit MPGs, which is your best bet in terms of quality. Editing w/ AVI is a pain in the ass when it comes to this stuff.

Unfortunately, all I have is 6.0...I have a newer version, but it won't run on Windows 2000. And anything that says it will convert to Pinnacle AVI gives me nothing but lossy, washed out garbage. Maybe when I have my own home setup, I can work around these things. Sigh......

Here's a thought....since the best captures that Premiere makes are from a DV camcorder, then all I would need is to transfer my VHS or DVD material to (or rather *through*) a DV recorder via an analog connection. Since I was always wanting to get a reasonably priced (and functionally adequate) DV camera of my own, this model may be up my alley:

http://www.easycamcorders.com/content/Q ... -ZR700.htm

Does anyone else have one of these? Any thoughts?

dasjr said:
Here's a thought....since the best captures that Premiere makes are from a DV camcorder, then all I would need is to transfer my VHS or DVD material to (or rather *through*) a DV recorder via an analog connection. Since I was always wanting to get a reasonably priced (and functionally adequate) DV camera of my own, this model may be up my alley:

http://www.easycamcorders.com/content/Q ... -ZR700.htm

Does anyone else have one of these? Any thoughts?

You're heading in the wrong direction on this one Dasjr. First you won' be able to transfer most commercial DVDs or VHS tapes this way because the camera will not let you capture macrovision protected content. But even if you could, you'd see a major degradation in quality. First it would convert the digital image to analog, then back to DV, a codec which is very compression heavy.

Premiere 6.0 should be able to edit in just about any AVI format, as long as you have the proper codecs installed on that machine. I suggest you do a little research on windows codecs before you go ahead with this. Search google and wikipedia for "video codec" and familiarize yourself with the different types of compression (lossy vs. lossless, for example) and once you gain an understanding, get a hold of the codec you want to edit in, install it on your windows machine, and then learn how to convert from DVD to that format. This will probably include learning a program like DVD decrypter and AVIsynth or Virtualdub.

If this seems like too much work for you, then consider learning how to use Womble from ADM's excellent guide. Womble isn't my choice of editors for several reasons. But I have a background as a tech, so the kind of learning necessary to get this kind of stuff done on a computer isn't as intimidating to me as it might be to some.

Best of luck on this. Feel free to ask questions of the people here, but be aware that few people have the time, nor inclination to walk someone through step by step. So if you really want to do this well you'll have to want to hunker down in front of the computer for hours on end and teach yourself this craft. It won't be quick, and will certainly cause you many headaches. But it's the only way of getting good at a craft.

Hope I helped!
-T

Back
Top Bottom