• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Fight Club: I Am Jack's Laryngitis - Redux

macmilln

Reaction score
Trophy Points

Tagline: I am Jack's complete lack of narration.

Synopsis: By removing Edward Norton’s voiceover, FIGHT CLUB gets to be a much more introspective and artsy film.

Intention: In August of 2008, a Faneditor by the name of Zach Action released a technically stellar edit of Fight Club, completely removing Edward Norton's "The Narrator" voiceover. The only issue, however, was that it was 2008 - and the visual scan of Fight Club used for the edit was atrocious. Zach Action's amazing audiowork was stifled by the overly-black and contrasting shots. A year later, the Fight Club Blu-Ray was released. And, finally, eleven years after that, both of these have fallen into my hands, along with an unprecedented amount of free time, so I figure I'd give "Jack"'s A the V it deserves. (can't wait for that to be Out of Context-d).

Changelog:
Original Runtime: 139 minutes
New Runtime: 138 minutes

What Zach Action did:
Completely removed all narration/voice-over from the film

What I did:
Replaced all footage from Zach Action's edit with that of the 2009 "Fight Club" Blu-Ray
  • 0:00:00 - Warning from "Fight Club" DVD
  • 0:00:19 - "FE.org" 'Netflix-style' card and my own "CJM" logo card
  • 0:01:20 - Custom Credits
    • 0:01:20 - "Fanedit.org Presents"
    • 0:01:22 - "A CJ MacMillan and Zach Action Fanedit"
    • 0:01:24 - "I Am Jack's Laryngitis - Redux"
  • 0:03:31 - Cut "Bob" introduction
  • 0:20:24 - Restructured transition
  • 0:26:28 - Rearranged shots
  • 0:31:27 - Trimmed shot (removing freezeframe)
  • 1:16:38 - Trimmed shot (removing freezeframe)

zwLWSFy.jpg

Please PM me if you'd like a link.

macmilln

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here are a couple sample clips, I may post more but I think these get the point across...

Example #1 - "Three Minutes"
Password: fanedit.org

Example #2 - "Airplane"

EDIT: There's some strange artifacting in those clips, but it's not present in any of my files so must've been an issue with Vimeo's conversion.

macmilln

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I realize now that I should've just posted this straight into the Special Projects forum. The edit is done, I'm submitting it to the IFDB now, as well as uploading the small and LARGE encodes. Should be finished later today/tomorrow.

It'sOnRandom

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I would watch this edit to see what you've done, but I haven't watched the original yet.

I'm going to watch the original now so I can watch your edit on the weekend, does that sound okay to you?

macmilln

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I was having trouble uploading and figured I should review the footage one more time, as it seems to have become a pattern that I've missed one annoying little glitch that screws up what I thought was my "final" draft. This time, there were no glitches, but I did find some room for improvement.

Zach Action did already trim some shots to make them more 'fitting' in this new style, but he did so quite conservatively and there's still lots that could be improved upon. In my opinion, the freeze-frames don't really work without the narration, so I'll be removing those. Additionally, I removed the first introduction to "Bob", as the time jump back and forth doesn't really work without the Narrator explaining it.

Guess it's good that I didn't post this right in the Special Projects forum. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

macmilln

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Found another transition that doesn't really work sans-Narrator. Zach Action included part of the voiceover in the "ABC" 'monologue' but not all of it, which just makes it strange. This is what I tried to do with it:

I still think it may be a bit jarring adding some narration randomly twenty minutes in, so I tried skipping that monologue and just having the lady on the plane say the first words:

Pretty sure I'm gonna stick with the latter, but I'm interested in what others think nonetheless.

EDIT: So yes I'm sticking with the latter clip. I adjusted it slightly so we don't get those few sort of awkward frames of Norton on the plane first, and instead it's just the lady's reaction before she asks "Are there a lot of these kinds of accidents?" I tried doing some time remapping on the clip of Norton, but if I extend it to the length I'd want it then the shot of the lady would become too short, and there's no good middle ground. Still works fine this way!

macmilln

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Also here's the full opening (inserted credits graphics that I'm way too proud of, and removed the "Bob" introduction):

macmilln

Reaction score
Trophy Points
zn0llm25kbt31.jpg

Now imagine that beginning but with this warning to prelude it! (because I'm low on Vimeo bandwidth and forgot to export this part!)

It'sOnRandom

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I had a look at your opening, I feel the credits roll to quick.
After your logo appears i would fade it out, then fade back into the 20th century fox.

macmilln

Reaction score
Trophy Points
@"SonofSinbad" Nah I like it the way it is. I matched the frames on purpose so it's 'seamless' like that. Do that for all my other edits too, and I wasn't really posting the clip for that reason anyways. Thanks anyways though!

It'sOnRandom

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
macmilln said:
@"SonofSinbad" Nah I like it the way it is. I matched the frames on purpose so it's 'seamless' like that. Do that for all my other edits too, and I wasn't really posting the clip for that reason anyways. Thanks anyways though!

The rest of the clip looks good still :)

Heavisyde

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is a great idea, I'm a big fan of the original Laryngitis edit so I look forward to this one.

macmilln

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Last night I sat down and watched a draft of the edit (think that marks the fifth time I've watched the film this year...) Found a couple things that could be improved upon, which I'll edit later and then we'll actually be done here! I'll edit this post and update the OP with a more formal cutlist when the time comes.

EDIT: Done. Exporting/uploading now, new IFDB listing has been submitted!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is now on ifdb. Thread moved.

It'sOnRandom

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Congratulations @"macmilln" on releasing another fanedit.

macmilln

Reaction score
Trophy Points
SonofSinbad said:

And to you as well, SoS! Just watched it earlier today, IFDB review incoming. (I think you wrote the first review for my first edit, "IFDB is like poetry...")

It'sOnRandom

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
macmilln said:
SonofSinbad said:

And to you as well, SoS! Just watched it earlier today, IFDB review incoming. (I think you wrote the first review for my first edit, "IFDB is like poetry...")

I don't think I was the first person to review your edit on IFDB but I was for sure the first person to watch it and review it on your thread.

Some Charles Dickens type stuff going on here :)

macmilln

Reaction score
Trophy Points
And thanks again @"TM2YC", but isn't this a special project? That's what the original was listed as so I listed mine the same.

Top Bottom