• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

fel @ vie

blueyoda

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
tagline: The Truth does not Lie in Numbers

original film name:

Video sources:

Wizard of Oz, Survive Style 5+, Dragon's Lair, Michael Jackson - Black or White, Nekojiru-So, The Shining, Casablanca, Terminator 2 teaser trailer, 2001, Metropolis, Blade Runner, Requiem for a Dream, Star Wars: Episode 3, Carrie (1976), The Fox and the Hound, The Six Million Dollar Man, Click, Michael Jackson - Scream, Secretary, Debbie Gibson - Only in my dreams, Michael Jackson - In the closet, Superman III, Amelie, Psycho II, YMCK - Tetrominon, Pi (π), Terminator 2, Fight Club, The Dark Knight, The Butterfly Effect, Transformers (1986), One Flew Over the Cookoo's Nest, Watchmen, The Fountain, Contact, Butterfly (Stash 22)

Soundtrack:

Kid Koala - Dinner with Yoda, Debbie Gibson - Only in my dreams (alcorhythm remix), Schubert - Auf Dem Wasser Zu Singen, Kenji Kawai - Making of a Cyborg, Shelley Duvall - He needs me, Pink Floyd - The Great Gig in the Sky, Art of Noise - Approximate Mood Swing No. 2

new film name : fel @ vie

film studio name : Various

edit crew name : blueyoda

Date Original Film Was Released : Various

Date Edit Was Released : 02.23.2014

Original Runtime : Various

New Runtime : 17 minutes 15 seconds

Amount of time Cut/Added : Assembly from many sources.

Cuts removed/added/extended : Not enough.

Fanedit details : In Stereophonic Sound!

Intention for this fanedit: To become famous and to make a lot of money.

How intention was achieved: I didn't have anything better to do.

Hardware and software information: I'm a PC.

Additional Comment: Special thanks to TMBTM for making yoda blue; ThrowgnCpr for boobs; Uncanny Antman for cover art and msinkblot.

Time needed for the edition: 2 years

Password: 222

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This was quite brilliant. You should have seen my face while I watched it.

njvc

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Congrats E, that is wonderful stuff. Love the narrative, and especially the ending. You make this caper look effortless and impossible all at once. Thanks for sharing this!

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I watched it.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
I watched it.
Same. I'm a big fan of some Blueyoda stuff (especially Superman being a douche) but I can't honestly say I understand what I'm supposed to get out of the fe la vie videos. They (this one included) remind me of the black and white arthouse films I used to watch in art school classes, Dali's Un Chien Andalou being the only one whose name I can remember well enough for an example. It's not like watching a normal film. If the medium were switched, it'd be like seeing an empty canvas with paint all over the floor. I can appreciate it for what it is, which is some kind of art, though with the lack of narrative and wide range of sources, it seems like general audiences will find it pretentious.

Despite me not understanding the message, I can still say the technical aspects of the editing are really polished for the most part. Some aspect ratio changes were a little distracting visually (you probably won't notice what with the sources changing so frequently). The audio editing is where this short really shines in my opinion. Where the visuals seem disconnected (or rather not conventionally connected) the audio feels interconnected to the footage at its core.

Overall, I'd give it a grade of Andromeda plus. Maybe Orion minus, if we're feeling generous.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As usual with the Fe La Vie Videos (this one is the third) Blueyoda mixes various sources in a way that makes you think "what the hell does he really wants to say?".

But, to me, it's not the way those videos should be taken. It's not what he wants to say that is important (there is surely some things that only he can understand) but how you feel while watching them.
I felt entertained, I thought "wow good editing!" all along. Exept for the ratio changes, but it's a constant in those Fe La Vie videos, so I'm simply taking it as their style by now. I did go from a scene to the other being at the same time surprised and feeling that each transitions made some sort of continuity, even if the whole thing surely does not make sens like a regular "story".

So, yeah, it's all style first, and the sens is up to you. But you definetly feel there's a meaning that Blueyoda almost tells you. But almost only. It's like if he wants you to be inside of his brain but you would not be safe if you could really see what's in there, so he only gives you bits and pieces of it and keeps the real meaning for himself. As it should be.
Because it looks very personnal and I prefer not feeling like watching a reality TV show while watching a fanedit. Or like those books where people are telling you all their personnal stuffs in a very crude way.
I prefer when someone is tranforming ugly things into... a butterfly!

njvc

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The narrative in this one felt stronger to me than in the previous instalments, but maybe I'm reading too much into it?
Here is my reductive, overly simplistic understanding of what I saw...

1. Destructive, soul destroying relationship with other, or with self.
2. Finally recognising need for change, and freeing self of destructive tendencies/relationship, or at least recognising them
3. Things get worse before they get better, almost to the point of despair/hopelessness
4. Enlightenment, happy endings, new beginnings, loveliness.

Or did I dream it?

p.s. the editing was awesome, and I don't care about aspect ratios

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
♫I didn't like this one as much as 2.22
fe l@ vie
but maybe it's because I'm not that keen
but Blu makes dope Rhymes
he's got match cuts on the mind and the sound mix is devine

just the two of us, building fan edits in the sky
just the two of us, blu and I♫

*smash/camera shake-cut to 747 flying directly toward Rogue's floating cloud pc thing, cut to close up of Rogue looking suprised *shot no more than 20 frames in length*, cut to Jeff Goldblum yawning as he waits for train in Jurassic Park 2, Jeff Goldblum gets on train, guy on train asks Jeff Goldblum if he's really who he is, distorting transmission cut to Jeff Goldblum flying alien ship from Independance Day (possible soundtrack:
cut back to train, guy Roar's like a (single frame of Arnoldd Schwarzenegger in the futuristic chair from total recal) dinosaur at Jeff Goldblum, cut to Jim Carey saying "We are human now" from Earth Girls Are Easy *sound of heavy wind quickly builds and hard cut to* Sam Flynn exiting the portal into the computer world looking suprised, cut to computer screen from the Matrix *THE MATRIX HAS YOU*, cut to Sam Flynn getting out of chair and exiting building "This Can't be happening" Sam hears something and looks up, cut to the Comedian firing his gun from the Helicopter in slow motion, cut to close up of gun firing from beginning of cobra, cut to long side shot of Prometheus flying left to right across the cosmos with tiger roar sound effect, cut to star child looking at camera with earthquake sound effect, cut to Khan's ship battered in the Mutaura Nebulae, cut to Khan "No Kirk, the game's not over" *Khan throws the last switch on the genesis device* Reliant Explodes, cut to Hudson "Well that's just great man. What are we gonna do now man, what are we gonna do?", cut to end of Voyager episode 'Bride Of Chaotica' with starfield, Chaotica laughter echoes, question mark zooms into view. Produced by Rick Berman.

Well Done Blu. 8 out of 10. :)

bleujayone

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Funny, I almost expected even more clips from other movies edited in. I was anticipating what the next clip might be based on the current one, trying to predict the pattern. Maybe that's just the cinephile in me. It was almost like it made me think of other potential and unrealized connections, although to be fair the movie list of clips could very well be near infinite. But I liked seeing how one thing flowed into the next. The inclusion of Pink Floyd on its soundtrack was a nice touch.

Was it supposed to have a clear and definitive narrative? I don't know. It was creative and it did feel like it was being artistic. I think part of the purpose of art is to stir up different reactions in different people. One thing I will say, based on his previous work, this did indeed have that "blueyoda feeling" if I could borrow from the Coen Bros' Barton Fink.

blueyoda

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
I can still say the technical aspects of the editing are really polished for the most part. Some aspect ratio changes were a little distracting visually (you probably won't notice what with the sources changing so frequently). The audio editing is where this short really shines in my opinion. Where the visuals seem disconnected (or rather not conventionally connected) the audio feels interconnected to the footage at its core.

The aspect ratio changes are most definitely intentional. Parts of the assembly have very little technical distractions: constant aspect ratio, perfect image quality, visual flow through the movie-jumping; my favorite one being the Aman > Michael Jackson > Superman transition which starts at 5:55.

359ikae.jpg

Other parts have deliberate interlacing, flickering, aspect-ratio jumping, mosaicking, etc. Which will the viewer notice, if any?

njvc said:
1. Destructive, soul destroying relationship with other, or with self.
2. Finally recognising need for change, and freeing self of destructive tendencies/relationship, or at least recognising them
3. Things get worse before they get better, almost to the point of despair/hopelessness
4. Enlightenment, happy endings, new beginnings, loveliness.

5. ???
6. Profit.

bleujayone said:
Funny, I almost expected even more clips from other movies edited in.

I think you'll enjoy the next chapter in the Chasing Trinity saga :)

I was anticipating what the next clip might be based on the current one, trying to predict the pattern.

You must have been amused at 11:48 then.

2wptmif.jpg

Every time we blink, we edit.

msinkblot

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I really, really like it. It is my favourite of blueyoda's work. But perhaps I'm biased, because it's about me, so all I see is a mirror and thus have to fight the tendency to dissect all of its labyrinth components and hence-after write a long, pretentious academic treatise on it in order to understand myself.

I read it almost a portal into the labyrinth of Blueyoda's mind: fragmented yet whole, stitched together through associative strands of images, and made subliminal through music. The images fire away like synapses so frantically that the whole thing initially seems nonsensical until you give up the need to make sense of it and let yourself get washed by its own rhythm. At some point, I almost fell into a trance watching Maria wake up only to be shocked awake by internal and exterior disruptions: portals that lead into and out of Blueyoda's mind as there seems to be a jostling between interior/exterior, past/present, self/cosmos. The music drives the piece forward, letting you ride its wave from one 'chapter' (or rather development/crescendo) to the next. It doesn't even feel like a fanedit, but a stitched together tapestry of fragmented motifs that create a story of destruction, creation, and the reconciliation of difference. You can zoom in and out- examine each shot or the general themes that repeat or connect associatively to the other. But the vital impulse is feeling, I think. Also, Blueyoda has this very, very annoying tendency to stamp the music he 'steals' from with his soul imprint so you can never disassociate a particular song from the words/images he joins them to.

I have a lot of thoughts on this... so I will try to draw out the general gist of Blueyoda's so called 'narrative' (what is the meaning of it all!?). I will follow one thread and see where it leads me, anyway. If I were to seek out all possibilities, it would take forever and an infinite amount of words. Mind you, this is my reading of it... so obviously it is based on my own biased perspective.

The first shot of Dorothy is an initiation- the beginning of a journey towards change that leads eventually to enlightenment through a descent into the subconscious, yet it's also naive. The call to adventure is kind of unintended, born out of a childish curiosity. What happens after can be read as a descent into the underworld of the mind where fear and violence is the underlying motif. The whole '222' thing/twin/mirror thing after reminds me of the doppelganger which brings only death according to superstition- in FLV, they bring one into a nightmarish fantasy where dead wives come alive and kick your ass. Of course, this nightmare is made palatable through catchy music, which is what I find fascinating- it's darkness treated with a lot of humor. Random fact: the doppelganger was historically a way of preserving the soul by creating someone/thing of the same 'likeness', though, and that evolution of the double also kind of occurs in FLV in a strange way (Maria > butterfly CG woman). Also, the 222 can be seen as a repetition/replaying the same old vicious cycles like some kind of Buddhist hell. There is sort of a desire to 'break free' which is only possible by... Metropolis! (Maria the double who initiates change) ... which leads to part ii of my lengthy theory-of-it-all...

In the end, it's only in the creation of a new being (that in turn warrants a death)- Maria- that ruptures past cycles and creates an explosion of sorts where in the Invisible Subject (IS) Also Known as Blueyoda or Perhaps It is Us All is confronted with his past. After that initial creation, the shots keep alternating between 222, Tetris and shots that flashed by before. It almost feels like by cycling through these past memories (repeated shots), a kind of reconciliation happens ironically through play, games, and making light of darker dualities such as repressed memories/present thoughts, vengeance/love, play/Serious Business. 222 as the doppelganger that heralds death evolves in 222 which reconciles dualities and creates new life. Ultimately, Maria is the catalyst that prompts the explosion of the self and results in the creation of the new self (the Fountain clip with the ring) and a new wholeness (circles and infinity!). Enlightenment is painful, though, and there is a lot of pain involved as the mind ascends.

Maria, here, is not destructive but in a way is replaced/evolves into the machine woman who morphs into a butterfly against all natural odds: love breaks free and creates a new opening/escape ultimately.

But all that spill to say I make sense of abstract, nonlinear things much better than I can follow a storyline (as blueyoda has attested, I fall asleep to most movies, including the first 2 fe l@ vies). In that sense, it appeals to my ADD mind and my need for viscerality and rhythm, which it has much of. To me, the narrative is completely coherent, telling the tale of destruction, and creation from the ashes of past lives.

Also, it's really catchy.

(Also ii, thank you for enduring my word vomit. You have reached the end!)

Edit: Oh. Or it may just be the story of the Tarot: beginning with the Fool and ending with the World. I wrote all that for nothing then.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
i don't always open up my skull and trace a finger along a cerebral groove.

but when i do, i'm usually watching a yodableu assembly.

tumblr_lwfpwcYxn71r8awyto1_500.jpg

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I guess I can't let my kids play Tetris now.

Xegoog

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That doesn't answer my question. Also: I don't speak cheese eating surrender monkey.

blueyoda

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Xegoog said:
That doesn't answer my question. Also: I don't speak cheese eating surrender monkey.

The video answers that question, in the upper right corner of the frame, at 3 minutes 24 seconds.

Adabisi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't know what I just saw, but I enjoyed it. There are worse ways to spend the next 17 minutes of your life. Assigning a numerical rating to a blueyoda edit is like dancing about architecture, but the machine forces my hand.

10/10

Top Bottom