• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

favorite software for creating missing frames?

lapis molari

Better edits through feedback.
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Have you ever removed a cutaway shot, only to discover that the scene with precedes and follows it is now missing a few frames? Then what? You could replace the cutaway shot with a different one, but sometimes you just want the main scene to continue uninterrupted.

To do that seamlessly, you want to fill in the missing frame(s). Nowadays, there are multiple software options to create those. But which one is the best? The slowest option is probably Photoshop, where the quality of the result is entirely dependent on your skill.

Which software have you used that is both better and faster than Photoshop to create those few missing frames?

Interesting matter, had this situation once, I've just left it as it was with a little jump. :p

In grindhouse edits (which I mostly do) it is way easier to deal with that issue, I just put there some form of damaged film simulation, some blur, or sudden shake and that's it.

Last edited:
Have you ever removed a cutaway shot, only to discover that the scene with precedes and follows it is now missing a few frames? Then what? You could replace the cutaway shot with a different one, but sometimes you just want the main scene to continue uninterrupted.

To do that seamlessly, you want to fill in the missing frame(s). Nowadays, there are multiple software options to create those. But which one is the best? The slowest option is probably Photoshop, where the quality of the result is entirely dependent on your skill.

Which software have you used that is both better and faster than Photoshop to create those few missing frames?
Try Flowframes. Might work.

^^ Use RIFE with flowframes. Easily the best option I've tried. I used it to cover gaps created from removing dialogue and I also used that as part of my process for the stop motion work on Jason and the Argonauts. Depending on the context, it will be trial and error and may not work at all. But it generally gives you a lot more scope with cuts.

Edit: a tip for maintaining quality: render clips in lossless, have FF output as PNGs and stitch back together with virtualdub.

Last edited:
I was going to jump in here and throw my arms wide while yelling TOPAZ....
but this flowframes... I've never heard of it. is it much better than Topaz?

^^ I've never used Topaz. My understanding was that it was chiefly for upscaling, is that right? Flowframes is one of a few programs that enable the use of different algorithms for the creation of new frames. It's often used for increasing framerate and slow motion, but you can get very creative with it and it's definitely the best (free) tool I've come across for that kind of work. I used to use DAINapp, but the RIFE model has produced quicker and smoother results for me. Flowframes lets you make use of both models, in any case.

Well that sounds very versatile!
Topaz has a model named chronos which does interpolation to create slow motion. There's not much control over it though.

Topaz, from what I hear and have seen (but have not tried personally) is excellent at what it does, as a paid option. And it does a lot, it's kind of an all in one, upscaling, interpolation, noise reduction, grain addition, etc. Flowframes is very impressive, for free. And it does a little, just frame interpolation.

If you've paid for Topaz, use Topaz. But also it couldn't hurt to run a compare if you have the time and a short clip with heavy motion.

I mean if you're just "creating" a couple frames similar or the same to pad out a video segment it's easy enough to do with creative use of speed controls. As long as there isn't too much movement in the scene you can take the final second of the scene and stretch it to two seconds without much/any stutter. I've done a few fills like that throughout my projects, using either frozen or slowed frames. Quick and no external programs required.

Edit: just realized you meant in the middle of the scene, sorry.

You know what, the ultimate test would be to cut some frames out of a video oneself, and test how the interpolated result frames look compared to the real "missing" frames.

I got really good results using RIFE! It's AI-based motion interpolation. It's also free so long as you credit the paper's original authors. That said, you might need to know how to code a little bit of Python in order to make the most of it. Moreover, it's from 2020, which is long time ago for an AI paper. There's likely a much newer paper on GitHub by now.

Back
Top Bottom