• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Favorite Guitars & Gear

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I know there are some fellow guitarists here on the forums. If that's you, OR you love guitars, post some pictures of your favorite guitar(s) and why you love them.

Fender Jazzmaster
0149753305_gtr_frt_001_rr-e1632341806578.png

One of the first, if not first guitars I bought myself. I was introduced to this guitar by Mike Einziger of incubus when I first saw the video for Megalomaniac. MY favorite rock guitarist was playing it so yes naturally I wanted it just for that reason alone at first, but after snagging a 2000's SE CIJ Candy Apple Red Fender Jazzmaster from Musician's Friend on their Memorial Day sale I absolutely fell in love with the feel and sound of this guitar. The neck is a fantastic B profile that's just super comfortable to play. I don't ever use tremolos, but the design definitely adds some chimey character to the guitar that I've grown to love. Fun fact, I lost a saddle screw and the thing was buzzing like crazy and I couldn't get the action where I wanted it as a result, so I grabbed a large plastic coated paperclip and slid it under the saddle and voilà perfect string height and no buzz! That was about 20 years ago and it's still there 😅 Since that first purchase I've gained a few more variations of the model including a telemaster. Jazzmasters have a wonderful tone that most single coils can't achieve. They're warm, but clear and have a little hint of jangle. The body is perfectly weighted and it's just a great looking guitar. My only regret is not buying a couple of these when they were on clearance. They were $400 when I bought them (CIJ Jazzmasters and Jaguars). The same guitar has more than doubled in value now. :oops:

I’m not much of a gear head. I’ve only owned a handful of guitars in the 35 years I’ve been playing. But for electrics, despite never owning one, I’m definitely more of a Les Paul guy than a Fender guy. But I’ve had my main electric since 1989, a 1989 PRS Custom 24 “10 top.” This was back when they were still handmade. It’s got a lot of versatility and can definitely get that Les Paul tone, but had i been a little more experienced when I got it I would’ve done some things differently. Still, it’s a great guitar. I also have an Ibanez Artcore hollowbody that I like in certain situations. But these days, since moving to Germany and especially since COVID, I’ve been playing more solo acoustic stuff. My “nice” guitar is a Blueridge dreadnaught, but my favorite is a cheap Alvarez.

G&L ASAT Special
circa-1994-gl-asat-special-cherry-sunb-S3D5pv3.jpg

circa-1994-gl-asat-special-cherry-sunb-LuzMDvq.jpg
My dad picked one of these up some way along the road. It's a fantastic cherryburst color that just looks great on these guitars. It was one of the first "nice" guitars that I ever played. I don't know really how to put into words how amazing this guitar is. Let me preface that I am NOT really a Telecaster body style fan, but this guitar changed that for me. It looks like a tele, but it doesn't feel like one at all. The body feels different, the bridge is so much better in terms of tone and feel on your hand as you pick, the neck is perfectly married to this guitar and is a joy to play and those pickups. G&L pickups are the greatest sounding and feeling pickups I've ever played. Their dynamics are off the charts and they are extremely touch sensitive. I actually thought about dropping some into a Jazzmaster. G&L makes one of these now, the Doheny. Must resist. This guitar can do anything. Jazz, Rock, Blues, Funk, Country. It's all right here. After my Pops passed, this guitar has become my main instrument. Fun fact, I've had the pleasure of corresponding with Will Brahms from the clip below a few times. He's a fantastic guitarist and a kind human being. Even Ted Greene approved!

My “nice” guitar is a Blueridge dreadnaught, but my favorite is a cheap Alvarez.
One of the last guitars my dad bought before passing was a Blueridge BR-343. AMAZING guitar! Blueridge guitars are fantastic!
One of my favorite guitars is a cheap Squier strat I found on offerup. It was painted with house paint, smelled like old teenage cologne, and generally thrashed. The neck is phenominal on it though. I stripped it, took the kids to the store to buy a base color (they chose mint green) and then they each picked out an enamel paint of their choice to make handprints on the guitar. The guitar is covered with their hand prints and the headstock has my littlest's footprint on the headstock. I sprayed it over with a clear coat to preserve the paint. It's not perfect, but neither is life. It's fun to feel their hand prints and the footprint on the headstock vs a flat paint finish. :)

Yeah the Blueridge is really nice especially at the price. And I’d probably use it for recording. But the Alvarez just plays so nicely for me and when I hear live recordings there’s little difference in sound.

This video is a great tutorial on why MFD pickups are so fantastic and player friendly.

Back
Top Bottom