• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Fantastic Adventures of Pulp Characters

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Any Tales of the Gold Monkey fans here?  I've only watched the pilot and a couple of episodes before I got sidetracked, so I'm starting again from the beginning and I'm quite a fan!

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
musiced921 said:
Any Tales of the Gold Monkey fans here?  I've only watched the pilot and a couple of episodes before I got sidetracked, so I'm starting again from the beginning and I'm quite a fan!

Loved the series.  Shout Factory produced a fantastic dvd set for it.

Also love the equally short-lived and equally good, BRING'EM BACK ALIVE!

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
NATIONAL TREASURE The Series -- awful. eye bleedingly awful.

RELIC HUNTER -- fun show and waaaaaaay better than the Jolie Tomb Raider movies.

TALES OF THE GOLD MONKEY -- an INCREDIBLE adventure series!!! It deserved better but Bellisario got tired of fighting with the Networks and allowed the series to be cancelled rather than further erode his original creative vision.

BLOOD & TREASURE -- good chemistry with lots of fun banter, an interesting serialized plotline and some neat action pieces

VERITAS: THE QUEST -- only saw the first couple episodes when it first aired, thought it was intriguing, but never saw the full run.

HOOTEN & THE LADY -- never heard of it. I must correct that!!!

And Thank You for bringing this YouTube Channel to our attention! Now subscribed! :)

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bob, any thoughts on the show Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World? From what I understand, it ended up getting very wacky.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
RELIC HUNTER -- fun show and waaaaaaay better than the Jolie Tomb Raider movies.

By the way, have you ever seen this 2003 Visa commercial starring Sofia Vergara as Lara Croft? I think it's the most perfect visual rendition of Lara Croft in live-action that I've ever seen.

There's also a behind-the-scenes featurette:

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bob, any thoughts on the show Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World? From what I understand, it ended up getting very wacky.
You mean this one...

The glorious age of syndicated adventure shows with everyone trying to get some of that Hercules/Xena money!
I have not rewatched this one since back in the day (though I know it is currently available on many platforms including Tubi) and even then it was sporadic.
I remember it as a fun, light, escapist show with some great potential mythology, that tapped into my nostalgia for popcorn flicks like The Land That Time Forgot or At The Earth's Core.

Now that you have reminded me of it, I may have to go revisit it. :)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
By the way, have you ever seen this 2003 Visa commercial starring Sofia Vergara as Lara Croft? I think it's the most perfect visual rendition of Lara Croft in live-action that I've ever seen.

There's also a behind-the-scenes featurette:

Whoa! I have never seen that before! That was awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Any love for the 2018 Tomb Raider movie? I thought it was very under rated and had great potential.

Last edited:

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You mean this one...

Yep, that's the one I mean! According to this video (whose creator clearly took Chris Stuckmann's online course "Never End a Video Without Repeating Your Overall Thoughts Three or Four Times," and graduated with top marks), the recent whole-series dvd rerelease, which costs only $25, and fits the show onto 12 discs rather than the total 18 of the previous individual-season releases, contains considerably worse A/V quality. That said, it seems the rerelease, as well as streaming availability, has weakened the resale market for the original sets, which can now be bought fairly cheaply.

I've never seen the show myself, but it was discussed a bit in this excellent look at the treatment of native peoples in adaptations of Doyle's novel:

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS UNIVERSE continues to publish new canon for one of the first shared universes ever.

Coming soon, Tarzan's son, KORAK receives his first solo title, as part of the new Dead Moon Trilogy...

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bob, would you recommend any particular Dynamite TBD/hardcover collections? I'm interested in checking them out, but would have no idea where to start. :)

Top Bottom