• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Fant4stic: the unaired TV pilot

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I much prefer the warmer 1st re-grade... just to be difficult ;) .

ironman23

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I much prefer the warmer 1st re-grade... just to be difficult ;) .

Oh of course you do ;) well... I'm afraid it's too late now... you've had you're chance and you missed it...

ironman23

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I apologize for the lack of real updates as to where we are in the project, but I will begin running an export for a preview file, relatively small, so that I may receive suggestions, ideas or what not that will really help me out ;)

ironman23

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Alright, finally got the preview file exported and uploaded to MEGA! It's only 3 gb file and clocking in at around 50 minutes right now, so for anyone wanting to check it out I'll gladly send a PM ;)

ironman23

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Small update- as I await feedback on the preview's that were sent out, I have made a few minor tweaks to the project. One of those being the removal of the lazy CG ape that somebody gave a thumbs up to.

That, and I will have to adjust the coloring of several short scenes for a more contrasted palette. Even without theses changes, 90% of everything else is set in stone, so hopefully soon I can have a more bearable (hopefully even decent?) fantastic four adaptation for those to see!

ironman23

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here, we have below our 'time jump' back to present events towards the end of the episode, where I tried splicing the entrance to Planet Zero (close up of Miles Teller inside) with the immediate return of the crew barely escaping. Audio was a bit tricky in this particular cut, so let me know what ya'll think and leave any comments/ suggestions :)

ironman23

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Marking the near completion of the edit, a Blu-Ray cover has been put together, with a (hopefully) much more vibrant and overall pleasing aesthetic. Not sure how the four images of our heroes look on the back, but if anyone has suggestions on how to tweak it, please feel free to comment  ;)

BRPuWNx.jpg

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I would spend more time on the cover overall. The front is blurry and low resolution. The back is cluttered and unorganized, without having many elements. The text is difficult to read. The FE.org logo is cut off on the back. The screenshots on the back still have black bars on them. The blue used for the spine hurts my eyes.

Here's some advice I gave another user here.

addiesin said:
user said:
Or how about this alternative one with a night-picture on the front for more atmosphere?

fquavdaumr-large.jpg

I think the problem with your cover designs is you seem to be making them off some kind of checklist of things that need to be there rather than choosing elements that work together with some cohesive artistic unity. My background is in design work and I can give you some pointers that hopefully you will take constructively. 

1 The front cover's image should make sense artistically. Having a rectangular image surrounded by black can work but usually doesn't. It'd be better to start with an image that would give the audience an idea of what movie they're looking at even if the title wasn't present. 

2 The title should be able to stand on its own. Think about it as though there was no image at all, would the title/logo you've used look good on a plain-color cover? By comparison, Beezo and Bob have both come up with a presentation that can stand on its own. Stop thinking about it as "a font" and start thinking about it as "a design". 

3 The back cover is just as important as the front, and it looks like 3 images have been selected at random to accompany some text that was chosen at random. The only line on the back that really connects to one of the images is "Cheerleader vs the undead". The images should be smaller and more uniform so you can fit some descriptive content. A good back cover will expand upon what exactly the viewer will be watching. 

4 Think about color selection. One thing you could do is use the color picker to choose colors to use for text and logos straight out of the images. Another thing you can do is use Adobe Kuler to choose a color scheme ( https://color.adobe.com/ ). 

5 Think about negative space. This is all the spots on the cover that have literally nothing to look at. Negative space is not your enemy if you can organize it in such a way that it directs the viewer's eye across the cover. 

I hope this helps you with this cover and with covers you may make in the future. That said, I couldn't resist giving it a shot. I know you would prefer not to use things other people create but here's my attempt at something for this edit:

ab2r28.jpg

ironman23

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@"addiesin" I see what you mean, I'll definitely get to work on that. Thanks for the advice on cover making, it's sure to help me out on many future projects

ironman23

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Spent the last three hours on this, making sure every detail fell into the right place  ;)

SwrEB

ironman23

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Spent the last three hours on this, making sure every detail fell into the right place

5yxHrLT.jpg

ironman23

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The pieces are all falling into place nicely, so as a final checkpoint for the project, I went ahead and threw together a little promo trailer that will hopefully gain more attention and generate excitement.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I absolutely LOVE the idea of the Stan Lee voice over!

But I would either not cut to Stan the Man at all, or I would reframe his clips 16x9.

ironman23

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@"bionicbob" glad you like the route taken with the trailer, since that was actually the third version I worked on. As for changing the aspect ratio, I'll try for another version that's in widescreen all the way through

ironman23

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just now sitting down to watch a render of the edit, nervous about all the changes I've constantly made. If there is anything that someone wants to suggest or add, feel free to!

ironman23

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm proud to announce that the edit is finally complete and has been submitted to IFDB :) For anyone who might wanna view the finished project, I will be more than happy to send a link via PM. Down below I have a completed cut list as to what was
done, and until next time I will see you all in the next thread ;)

-Added a Fanedit.org Title card at the start
-Added aome alien desert ambience to go along with a much more vibrant Marvel logo
-Brand new color overhaul (to each individual scene) over the entire project for a brighter and more pleasant experience
-We now start out on Planet Zero to kick things off for a better pacing
-Added title cards for 20th Century Fox as well as each cast member over the previously mentioned scene for a proper TV feel
-Various trims to the scene, removing poor humor attempts (Instagram anyone?) and tightening things up for better pacing
-After the explosion re entry and New York's subsequent blackout, we cut to the "Fantastic Four" title card
-Following the above change, we then cut to several months earlier to Reed and Ben's high school science fair
-The library scene, which is the first meeting between Reed and Sue was axed. It has a very awkward feeling all throughout and the two have a much better scene later on
-Several sfx of telephones, cars passing by and whispering board members were added to the meeting between Franklin Storm and his financiers, to give the feeling of some life to a rather boring scene
-Reduced and trimmed out the terrible CG test monkey wherever I could to the first testing of the Gateway at Baxter
-After our four male leads enter the Gateway for a test run, we cut right back to the beginning re entry explosion where things continue on in the present
-Subtle ambience of a bio hazard alarm was added to the remains of the gateway test site after our leads return
-After Tim Blake Nelson (apparently cast officially as mole man) offers his deal to Ben, now the Thing we cut to the credits, where the Pilot comes to an end

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Edit released. Thread moved. Flame on.

Top Bottom