• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Fanfiction?

Vultural said:
User generated content, with few if any gatekeepers. Editors are few and far between, and I have no doubts it can be soul destroying to proof stories written in txt spk. No profit in words, either. Plus, literature may have reached a tipping point a few years ago with more writers than readers. Also attenuated concentration means short, simple lines over extended prose. Shifting gears, I think fan fiction is closer to fan films than fan edits.

In concept, perhaps, but I think only because fanfic frees up the reliance on existing clips to work with. However, good fanfic--and I have read a LOT of that!--relies heavily on the existing canon for characterization, setting, etc. Good writers (and I know many) will spend ages tracking down tiny details to make sure everything's just right, and that it fits with canon except where they're deliberately choosing to go AU.

As for the text speak and lack of extended prose, I think that has a lot more to do with where you're reading the fic. Fanfiction.net? Sure, with most fandoms there you'll get tons of that junk. Archive of Our Own, less so. And in many fandom-specific archives, the quality is very high. While the first fandom I started reading fic for was Lord of the Rings (bookverse--movies hadn't come out yet), and I was a teen then (I confess that my tolerance for junk fic was a bit higher), a few years later I got heavily into Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman. In fact, I read most of my fanfic there while having only seen four eps. The quality of the fic on the L&C archive (http://www.lcfanfic.com) does vary, but they have yearly fanfic awards that are voted on by the readers, giving any new fan a quick guide to some of the best fic there. At the time I joined, there were hundreds of new fics published in the last year, and the vast majority were quite good. No text speak, there was extended prose, some complicated issues being dealt with, etc. (They have general editors that check stories for SPAG to make sure they have at least the basics tidied up before the stories appear on the archive.) It was excellent. I keep track of all these good writers, too, and save the fics so I can re-read later if I like.

And being involved in a yearly story exchange, I can't say that there are more writers than readers there! Perhaps in mainstream fiction, yes. But then, I enjoy fanfic more than mainstream fiction, because I already know and love the characters, and want to see more about them. With a published fiction novel, you have to sell me on these new people I don't know yet. And I can be a tough sell.

TomH1138 said:
When there was someone editing a fanzine, the editor could clean up the punctuation / spelling / grammar, as well as address any continuity issues. And, frankly, they could just make sure that the stories were good -- well-written executions of solid ideas, with the characters all sounding and acting like they should. But now the floodgates are open for anything and everything.

There are bad fan edits, too, but that's why FE.org makes every edit go through a stringent quality analysis. They're doing the work that fanzine editors used to do.

But I've always left myself open to the idea of reading more fanfic, if I could find more good stuff. As with fan edits, sometimes the fans have better ideas than the people who actually own the property.
Yellow_Flash_Colorz_PDT_15.gif

Hee, that's why I like some of the fandom-specific archives. As I noted above, the L&C one actually used general editors to tidy up stuff. Mind you, they're not full betas, so some of the stories are weak in plot or sentence quality. But they lock the NC-17 rated fics behind a password so you can't stumble upon them willy-nilly (which means you only get there if that's what you want, and while I've poked behind there, I didn't spot any self-inserts). And the quality of what's visible is overall high enough that new writers tend to aspire towards it, rather than getting stuck in badfic land.

As for finding good stuff, you don't happen to share any of my fandoms, do you? :D I'm always happy to recommend my favorite stories . . .

I write an extensive amount of fanfiction, but most of the time they are very dialogue-driven and light on action, touching the usual corners about contemplating existence and grasping with sense of identity, to the ever popular "relationship" angle. That said, I've had a lot of acclaim for April/Michelangelo "pillow talk" in my TMNT fics (too much information, TOO MUCH INFORMATION)

Mark Moore said:
I recently wrote a BTTF fanfic and released it on October 21. It deals with Marty and Jennifer taking a tour around Hill Valley and musing about how things didn't turn out as they thought they would:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11571642/1/Memories-of-the-Present

Clever idea! You point out some of the differences between movie-2015 and now-2015 that other people haven't caught (such as
why people might not want Ronald Reagan or Michael Jackson in the cafe).

Having Doc be already dead was very surprising and touching. It's certainly possible. Biff is just the worst person ever, isn't he?

I was also shocked that Jennifer decided not to have kids. The old time-travel ethical question of "Is it OK to kill baby Hitler?" gets a new twist: Is it OK not to have kids if you've already seen them in the future? Of course, considering that her daughter looked freakishly like Marty in a dress, I can kind of understand her rationale. ;)

Also, instead of "Papa Loves Mambo," I would have used "I Can't Drive 55" by Sammy Hagar from BTTF II. But that's just me. :)

Thanks for reading and sharing your feedback!

TomH1138 said:
Clever idea! You point out some of the differences between movie-2015 and now-2015 that other people haven't caught (such as why people might not want Ronald Reagan or Michael Jackson in the cafe).

Well, not just them but also Ayatollah Khomeini, considering the post-9/11 climate.

TomH1138 said:
Having Doc be already dead was very surprising and touching. It's certainly possible. Biff is just the worst person ever, isn't he?

Pretty much, yeah. The accident was meant as a callback to Biff's involvement in the McFlys' car being wrecked at the beginning of the first film (he admitted he was drinking beer).

TomH1138 said:
I was also shocked that Jennifer decided not to have kids. The old time-travel ethical question of "Is it OK to kill baby Hitler?" gets a new twist: Is it OK not to have kids if you've already seen them in the future? Of course, considering that her daughter looked freakishly like Marty in a dress, I can kind of understand her rationale. ;)

Well, her rationale was more like "I better get my shit together and ensure my husband and I have a good life before I even THINK about raising a family." She took Doc's advice at the end of Part III to heart, even if it was to the extreme. (Besides, as she pointed out to Marty, there's no guarantee that the same sperms and eggs would come together to produce the exact same kids; she said it regarding Marty and his siblings, but the point still applies to their own kids.) Hence joining the Pinheads (which is a nod to a cast photo of Michael J. Fox and Claudia Wells in which "Jennifer" is the one holding the guitar; I imagine this might be a photo that they keep in their house), becoming a rock star, and then owning her own business (a nod to Claudia Wells' success).

TomH1138 said:
Also, instead of "Papa Loves Mambo," I would have used "I Can't Drive 55" by Sammy Hagar from BTTF II. But that's just me. :)

I deliberately excluded that song, because I figured it would have been massively insensitive on their parts, considering Clara was in the audience and the anniversary of her tragic loss.

I still wanted Part II represented, musically, and I figured a duet of "Papa Loves Mambo" between Marty and Jennifer would be adorable. :)

Some other touches that I threw in:

Marty and Jennifer's wedding date was the date of Part II's theatrical release.

They got married in St. Cecelia Catholic Church. St. Cecelia is the patron saint of musicians.

Marty being Catholic is pretty much a given. I figure Jennifer is based on an audio sketch that I heard at Weregoingback.com in which Fox and Wells recreated the lake discussion - with the twist that Jennifer was the one trying to hide the lake date from her dad: "I think the man was born a priest."

Marty and Jennifer wearing Armani is a nod to Claudia's business, Armani Wells.

Jennifer hearing a noise in the closet (which turned out to be their pets) is a tease of Jennifer thinking she might encounter her other self.

Jennifer is standing in the exact same spot at the exact same time (albeit thirty years older) when the call from Needles comes in.

Jennifer's choice of movies is a nod to Elisabeth Shue. Essentially, Jennifer finds herself hot. :p I almost had her say "I believe I SHALL fuck with the babysitter."

I was thinking of referencing the video glasses via Google Glass but couldn't find a way to integrate it into the story.

Yeah, I didn't mention the Ayatollah because that seemed more obvious, but people might not think of Reagan and MJ as quickly.

I see your point about "I Can't Drive 55." I didn't automatically connect that with Doc's accident, but I could see why Marty and Jennifer would skip that.

I got all the other references and allusions -- to Biff's earlier bad driving habits; to Nov. 22; to Jennifer overhearing the conversation in the closet; etc. All very clever stuff. :)

I've written some fan fiction of my own over the years - although i don't actually read all that much of it myself. My interaction with fan fiction mainly comes from a very old Yahoo Group dedicated to fan fiction concerning the Crime Syndicate of Amerika, from the Justice League of America graphic novel Earth-2 - so pretty specific in it's scope!

A big part of my enjoyment of that, however, also came from the community which existed in the early days of that group, where we wrote stories and shared them in installments and made suggestions and bounced ideas off each other. It's another form of fan interaction, and it can be quite a bit of fun. I also wrote a novelization of the Doctor Who special 'Dimensions in Time' which I posted over at Gallifrey Base - so none of my stories are really in super accessible places like fanfiction.net. I should probably at least post the Dimensions in Time novelization on a site like that. If anyone is a member at Gallifrey Base, the thread where I posted it is here: http://gallifreybase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127656

I can't log into GB anymore since my ban...any chance you could upload this to Fanfiction.net? I'd review it.

Zarius said:
I can't log into GB anymore since my ban...any chance you could upload this to Fanfiction.net? I'd review it.

I can actually do that  - I created a fanfiction.net account recently and have been posting up some Crime Syndicate fan fiction there very slowly as I write it...

EDIT: Uploaded it to fanfiction.net here

Thanks a bunch, I'm leaving as many reviews as I can.

Zarius said:
Thanks a bunch, I'm leaving as many reviews as I can.

Thanks for the reviews!  For some reason, I've avoided posting anything on Fanfiction.net before, mainly  because most of my fanfiction is based on the Crime Syndicate of Amerika and also on shared elements with other fanfiction writers.

Do you give credit for using some of those elements from other authors? If you do, that's alright, you should definitely post more on FF.net. I joined way back in 2002 and had a lot of fics up before my breakdown and deleted most of them before making a comeback in 2012.

Oh yes, I always include credit for the elements that are used from other people's stories, so that wouldn't be a problem.  Some of the stories could be a little obscure if people haven't read the stories by other writers, but I try to include everything that readers would need to know in each story.

Funnily enough, I did most of my fanfiction writing back in 2000-2002, then went off it for ages - got back into it around 2012 as well.  I'll have to check out some of your stories!

I started a 'novelisation' of A Fix with Sontarans as well, after I finished the Dimensions in Time one, but it kind of stalled out before the end... the beginning was kind of fun though, I was writing it in a tone similar to the Eric Saward Twin Dilemma novelization.

Oh my, it'd be awkward as hell to even try and finish an adaptation of "Fix" now, especially the ending!  :p

Still, perhaps you could apply the Saward style to other stories that seem a bit in that mould, like possibly Voyage of the Damned? I remember one critique calling that very Saward-like, and new series episodes are crying out for novelizations.

I'm busy working on a few novelizations of Power Rangers episodes at the moment, I've had to include original characters having little side-adventures in between adapting the episodes in the main core chapters just to prevent me getting bored.

I do have a couple of DW fanfics as well, including a stab at a "New Adventurers" style story.

Zarius said:
Oh my, it'd be awkward as hell to even try and finish an adaptation of "Fix" now, especially the ending!  :p

Yes, that basically is what killed it - and on top of that, I also felt kind of guilty about poking fun at Gareth Jenkins.

More new series fan novelizations would be great to see - I believe there was talk about them around the time I wrote the DiT novelization on the GB forums, as I remember seeing one for Rose at least that had been written and I think a few others were being worked on.  I would sort of like to tackle an expanded Attack of the Graske novelization written in the style of a Choose Your Own Adventure as well lol  My fanfiction is generally comic related though, and it's like pulling teeth at the moment to get any of them finished as it is :(

You should work your original characters into original stories as well :)

Attack of the Graske would be perfect fodder for a CYOA format, I'd hang on to that idea, even if you don't have much time for fics as it is. It's usually the positive reviews for work that motivate any author at the end.

I have been dabbling a bit in original work here and there, mainly just songs and poems though. Every time I try to write an original bit of fiction I end up either turning it into a fanfic for more views or my computer crashes and I lose it :s

At the moment, I'm writing a story called "A Different Sort of Dark" for an Unmasking fetish website, but even that's taking ages because I get sidelined with fanfic writing and editing.

Part of why I enjoy writing on the Crime Syndicate of Amerika Yahoo Group is the community aspect, at least there was a lot more of one in the beginning - now it's just me and another writer writing stories that are probably just being read by each other, but it's still fun lol

That's alright really, so long as there's one person interested in your stories, it's enough to keep you motivated. 

Most of my Simpsons fanfics only ever just have the one reviewer, who always takes time out to point when I make a spelling error or something, it sometimes irks me but she still enjoys the story and can't wait for an update so I don't mind that 50% of her reviews spent time pointing out grammar.  She makes just as many mistakes in her own, far more popular fics, but I'm too much of a humble gentleman to tell her. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom