• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Favorite Edit of the Year (FEOTY) Nominations for 2020 are now open! Submit your entries here.

Fanfiction?

wilhelm scream

Well-known member
Messages
1,155
Reaction score
4
Trophy Points
48
Zarius said:
It's funny, I get a lot of people who favourite my stories on FF.net and leave kudos on them at Archive of My Own, but I barely get a whiff of actual reviews...just like I barely get reviews for my fanedits but get loads of requests for them. I'm a pretty paranoid individual and I often feel trolled by the universe...anyone else have this particular issue where on one hand you seem quite popular, but it doesn't manifest in actual feedback?

That's what happens with my fics.
 

Duragizer

Well-known member
Messages
2,172
Reaction score
0
Trophy Points
51
Zarius said:
It's funny, I get a lot of people who favourite my stories on FF.net and leave kudos on them at Archive of My Own, but I barely get a whiff of actual reviews...just like I barely get reviews for my fanedits but get loads of requests for them. I'm a pretty paranoid individual and I often feel trolled by the universe...anyone else have this particular issue where on one hand you seem quite popular, but it doesn't manifest in actual feedback?

It happens to me, too, and it's frustrating — especially when most of the few reviews I do receive consist of "I don't like the screenplay format".
 

Zarius

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
5,958
Reaction score
134
Trophy Points
103
Duragizer said:
Zarius said:
It's funny, I get a lot of people who favourite my stories on FF.net and leave kudos on them at Archive of My Own, but I barely get a whiff of actual reviews...just like I barely get reviews for my fanedits but get loads of requests for them. I'm a pretty paranoid individual and I often feel trolled by the universe...anyone else have this particular issue where on one hand you seem quite popular, but it doesn't manifest in actual feedback?

It happens to me, too, and it's frustrating — especially when most of the few reviews I do receive consist of "I don't like the screenplay format".
The worst ones are when they're treating it like a message board and talking to other reviewers.
 

Mark Moore

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
927
Reaction score
8
Trophy Points
28
Last fall, I wrote a 13-chapter Batman Beyond spinoff fanfic series called Batwoman Beyond.

I'm contemplating whether to do another season.
 

Zarius

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
5,958
Reaction score
134
Trophy Points
103
Cool, thanks for sharing Mark

Do you read the Batman Beyond comics? They're using a Batwoman Beyond.
 

Zarius

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
5,958
Reaction score
134
Trophy Points
103
Putting together an e-book for easter based off prompts I was requested to write by a fellow author on Archive of Our Own. I took to tumblr to find art for my cover, here's what I pieced together for it
 
chess-with-an-ostritch.png
 

Mark Moore

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
927
Reaction score
8
Trophy Points
28
Zarius said:
Cool, thanks for sharing Mark

Do you read the Batman Beyond comics? They're using a Batwoman Beyond.

No, I don't read the comics. I didn't even know they were writing comics until I'd started writing my fic, so I put a note at the beginning saying I was going by the show only.

I think my fic might even predate the comics' Batwoman Beyond by a bit.

As I later found out, though, there actually was a Batwoman Beyond fic before mine, so I guess the idea wasn't as original as I thought.

My version goes the "Excuse me, you chose who to be Batwoman" route - with a heaping helping of loving homages to the Birds of Prey TV series.
 

Zarius

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
5,958
Reaction score
134
Trophy Points
103
I've taken to fan-editing scripts at the moment, starting with the Doctor Who episode 'Can You Hear Me?', altering the infamous Doctor/Graham scene so it's a bit more reassuring and a tiny bit romantic...I wasn't content with just altering that bit though, and added other bits of fluff to the story here and there between the two ;)

Might edit The Timeless Children next.
 

Zarius

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
5,958
Reaction score
134
Trophy Points
103

I wrote a book!

Well, not really one you'll find on bookshelves, and it's more a very brief collection of fluff pieces I wrote centring on the potential of a relationship between The Doctor and Graham, which I've always shipped on the show despite my problems with the programme. I've never been opposed to the notion of The Doctor finding romance with someone if it's written and executed well. The character has had a family way back in his/her distant past on Gallifrey (and no, I don't buy the 'looms' rubbish) The music I used is a piece from the movie "Manhunter", it's title? "Graham's Theme" (hur hur)

Description: "Unauthorized Short Trips is the first book from PLANET MONDAS PUBLISHING, it comprises thirteen short stories centred on something that’s a little dear to me…and something that is most assuredly ‘over there’ in terms of fan reception….namely Thraham, the pairing coined by the few fans in support of it for The Doctor and Graham"
 

Mark Moore

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
927
Reaction score
8
Trophy Points
28
Last month, I started on a Buffy the Vampire Slayer rewrite fic called "Shadow Over Hellmouth". It tones down the campiness and witticism of the show and amps up the Lovecraftian horror. It's from the heroes' perspectives only. I figure the monsters will be scarier if we see less of them. I ditched Xander and Willow and introduced Tara early. Buffy is brand-new to slaying. Dawn is Buffy's real sister. The original time setting is retained. There will be a slow-burn Buffy/Tara romance.

I'm putting out about four chapters per month, and each chapter covers roughly one act's worth of story, so that works out to about one episode per month. I just published chapter 6, so we're about halfway through "The Harvest".

I know what you're thinking. At this rate, it'd take around 13 years to get through the entire series. However, I anticipate there'll be a lot of crap to cut down the line.
 

wilhelm scream

Well-known member
Messages
1,155
Reaction score
4
Trophy Points
48
Mark Moore said:
Last month, I started on a Buffy the Vampire Slayer rewrite fic called "Shadow Over Hellmouth". It tones down the campiness and witticism of the show and amps up the Lovecraftian horror. It's from the heroes' perspectives only. I figure the monsters will be scarier if we see less of them. I ditched Xander and Willow and introduced Tara early. Buffy is brand-new to slaying. Dawn is Buffy's real sister. The original time setting is retained. There will be a slow-burn Buffy/Tara romance.

I'm putting out about four chapters per month, and each chapter covers roughly one act's worth of story, so that works out to about one episode per month. I just published chapter 6, so we're about halfway through "The Harvest".

I know what you're thinking. At this rate, it'd take around 13 years to get through the entire series. However, I anticipate there'll be a lot of crap to cut down the line.

Sounds interesting! Will Faith be in it?
 

Mark Moore

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
927
Reaction score
8
Trophy Points
28
wilhelm scream said:
Mark Moore said:
Last month, I started on a Buffy the Vampire Slayer rewrite fic called "Shadow Over Hellmouth". It tones down the campiness and witticism of the show and amps up the Lovecraftian horror. It's from the heroes' perspectives only. I figure the monsters will be scarier if we see less of them. I ditched Xander and Willow and introduced Tara early. Buffy is brand-new to slaying. Dawn is Buffy's real sister. The original time setting is retained. There will be a slow-burn Buffy/Tara romance.

I'm putting out about four chapters per month, and each chapter covers roughly one act's worth of story, so that works out to about one episode per month. I just published chapter 6, so we're about halfway through "The Harvest".

I know what you're thinking. At this rate, it'd take around 13 years to get through the entire series. However, I anticipate there'll be a lot of crap to cut down the line.

Sounds interesting! Will Faith be in it?

Eventually.
 

wilhelm scream

Well-known member
Messages
1,155
Reaction score
4
Trophy Points
48
Mark Moore said:
wilhelm scream said:
Mark Moore said:
Last month, I started on a Buffy the Vampire Slayer rewrite fic called "Shadow Over Hellmouth". It tones down the campiness and witticism of the show and amps up the Lovecraftian horror. It's from the heroes' perspectives only. I figure the monsters will be scarier if we see less of them. I ditched Xander and Willow and introduced Tara early. Buffy is brand-new to slaying. Dawn is Buffy's real sister. The original time setting is retained. There will be a slow-burn Buffy/Tara romance.

I'm putting out about four chapters per month, and each chapter covers roughly one act's worth of story, so that works out to about one episode per month. I just published chapter 6, so we're about halfway through "The Harvest".

I know what you're thinking. At this rate, it'd take around 13 years to get through the entire series. However, I anticipate there'll be a lot of crap to cut down the line.

Sounds interesting! Will Faith be in it?

Eventually.

Yay! Is it available to be read anywhere?
 

Mark Moore

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
927
Reaction score
8
Trophy Points
28
wilhelm scream said:
Mark Moore said:
wilhelm scream said:
Mark Moore said:
Last month, I started on a Buffy the Vampire Slayer rewrite fic called "Shadow Over Hellmouth". It tones down the campiness and witticism of the show and amps up the Lovecraftian horror. It's from the heroes' perspectives only. I figure the monsters will be scarier if we see less of them. I ditched Xander and Willow and introduced Tara early. Buffy is brand-new to slaying. Dawn is Buffy's real sister. The original time setting is retained. There will be a slow-burn Buffy/Tara romance.

I'm putting out about four chapters per month, and each chapter covers roughly one act's worth of story, so that works out to about one episode per month. I just published chapter 6, so we're about halfway through "The Harvest".

I know what you're thinking. At this rate, it'd take around 13 years to get through the entire series. However, I anticipate there'll be a lot of crap to cut down the line.

Sounds interesting! Will Faith be in it?

Eventually.

Yay! Is it available to be read anywhere?

Oh! Yeah! Haha, I guess I just never thought to provide the link:

https://archiveofourown.org/works/28482306
 

Mark Moore

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
927
Reaction score
8
Trophy Points
28
I just started a CSI: Miami fic called "Crowley Investigations". I used to be heavily into the show back in the day (and only that one, my reason for checking it out being "it's set in Florida"). I've long since stopped watching cops/docs/lawyers shows (they're depressing), but my mom got into the show last year before she died, and I often saw one particular episode that I remembered from back in the day being repeated: "Broken Home", the one guest-starring Leighton Meester as a murderous (although that's debatable) babysitter named Heather Crowley. I decided to write a redemption story for her character:

 
Top Bottom