• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Fanedits - Voting vs. Reviewing (?)

UnknwnFactor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Greetings,

New guy here and as such, I am still learning the etiquette of the forum/site. I have been downloading/watching edits from the site for over a year now and have noticed something about the reviews and votes. I have noticed that often a fan edit will have a bunch of reviews, but only one or two votes - or - the other way around.

(I guess I should say, I have no ability to do either at this site, not sure why, so I haven't posted any reviews - but I am definitely anxious to do so!)

Here's my question/thought: if a person writes a review, shouldn't that person also cast a vote? or if a person casts a vote, shouldn't a review accompany that as well? When I am looking through new and existing edits to download and try out, I guess in my mind, I replace the word "vote" with the word "rating". If an edit has a very high rating (and/or good reviews to match), I will download it and watch it - even if it is a movie I might not generally watch.

I think of "Silent Hill: Restless Dreams" as a good example. Not a movie I would have normally watched, but the rating was high and the reviews were glowing - and it turned out to be an excellent edit/movie! Well worth my time. :)

(NOTE: this edit also kills my discussion of reviews/votes as it has 9 votes and 9 reviews - ugh! ) :-o

Anyway, do I have the voting/reviewing system misunderstood?

Thoughts, anyone?

Sometime people don't like to vote (because they are against ratings in general) and only make comments.
Sometime people don't bother giving comments and just rate the edit.
And sometime they do both :)
But i'm afraid that, most of the time, the majority do not comment AND rate at all... but that's okay too, we can't force people,
they have the right to do what they want.

Good words, thanks. I'm still in "learning mode" for the site.

I guess, for me, when I see an edit that a bunch of votes, with an overall rating of, say, 5 or 6 and no reviews/not so good reviews, I tend to stay away from that edit. This is especially true if there are other versions of the same movie edited by someone else with better ratings/votes/reviews.

BTW, any idea what I need to do to be granted access to the site to do reviews etc? I joined back on Tuesday and only have access to the forum ...

UnkwnFactor said:
BTW, any idea what I need to do to be granted access to the site to do reviews etc? I joined back on Tuesday and only have access to the forum ...

there is a registration for the forum AND for the main site.
I think the registration on the main site were frozen since a while, but the new front page should be online in few days and I think the registrations should be available soon. As far as i know.

and one thing more about rating:
there is a rule that most don't know (we should make it more obvious) that says that
any 5/10 or less NEEDS a comment.
That is because faneditors usualy spend a lots of their free times making their edits and it worths having some feedback
not just a bad rating without words.

TMBTM said:
and one thing more about rating:
there is a rule that most don't know (we should make it more obvious) that says that
any 5/10 or less NEEDS a comment.
That is because faneditors usualy spend a lots of their free times making their edits and it worths having some feedback
not just a bad rating without words.

that rule makes sense to me - I have watched a couple of dozen edits over the past year or so. I can definitely tell that a lot of work has gone into a great many of them. It will be a rule I plan on following. I plan on submitting my own edit in the near future; once I get more experienced with my editing software.

Back
Top Bottom