• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

FanEdit.org Discovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

SenorZaius

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Okay, so I know this is technically a sock, but hear me out.

I am actually the user “DominicCobb.” This is a profile I made awhile ago. Today, I happened across the members list, and decided to look myself up. It got me thinking about the strange way in which I joined the FE.org community, and got me wondering how others joined.

So, it was early 2009, maybe April. I was looking up Star Wars on Wikipedia because I was bored, and I came across, while looking a the page for Episode I, this thing called “The Phantom Edit.” I read the whole page. From there I went to the page for “Fan edits,” and from there, I clicked on a link to Fanedit.org.

My mind was blown. For who knows how long I had been making “edits” in my head. I would many times watch movies thinking how they could be improved by taking out a scene, or how they could be made even more interesting by putting in a deleted scene or mixing it with another movie. I had mostly been making “edits” of the Star Wars films, primarily because I love SW and hoped that Lucas would someday make a good change that would make his films better.

Now, my computer was not the type for downloading, so I didn’t even try. Until September 16, 2009 (I guess) when I decided to sign up. And then... I didn’t do anything. (As you can see this is my first post.) I can’t remember why. I think it was because the whole unzipping thing really confused me (I didn’t even know what a rar file was).

Later, I tried to download SW Revisited via torrent, but the download was going to take a very long time (days), so I gave up. For a long time. I still checked back on FE periodically to see what people were cooking up, but I didn’t try to download. That probably sounds pretty weird to you guys, but I was making these “edits” in my head with no hope of ever accomplishing anything with them, so I was content with not downloading.

Until last August, when I tried to torrent again (I never use torrents), this time the Planet of the Apes TV show because I couldn’t find it anywhere. Using a torrent reminded me of SW Revisited, so I tried to torrent that and it didn’t work. I decided to go to the forums, this time with a new account (because I forgot my old password and wanted a new username). I got help, was impressed with how quick to assist and pleasant the people were, and I joined the community. Hi guys!

What’s your story?

Hmmmmm, I'll wait for an actual post from DominicCobb to confirm or deny this. Forgive me, but if you are indeed Dominic Cobb, what is the point of making the thread under this screenname? Why not just post it under your established name?

DominicCobb said:
Just for fun.

Fair enough. I basically stumbled on fanedit.org in a similar way. I discovered The Phantom Edit and Adywan's Star Wars Revisited.

While the idea of this thread is good, we have a strict policy at FE.org about sock accounts. Because of this, this thread is being locked and the sock account being banned. Normally, if we discovered the sock account was being used for malicious intent (i.e. skewing ratings) the main user account would also be banned. However, this does not seem to be the case at this time so the original account will be left alone for the time being.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom