• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

fan editing other fan edits?

WE, (the fans) are all
“standing on the shoulders of Giants”
Issac Newton

But yes, imitation is flattery for sure… that’s how we hone our skills and honor those that came before us frankly…

I actually have found that trying to imitate the edits of editors I admire has been some of the greatest learning experiences here in the community. It really helps me to admire the amazing skills that our members have in abundance.
My Problem with Synthetics edit began like this - I really wanted to see Paradise chronologically, as a personal project. As i dug in, it blew me away how masterful @jobwillins changes were, so much so that I ended up not even being able to recreate what he did. What I wound up with was something completely different, and learned a bunch of new skills along the way. Its a great way to polish your skills.

I would love to see remastered HD versions of

@white43 Samantha Darko
@SteveJo86 Karate Kid The Story Continues
@brumous Solaris Station
Steven Soderbergh Psycho
@Remixed by Jorge Blue Skies on Mars
@JasonN Super Toys Last All Summer long
@bionicbob John Carter of Mars

also i am not sure if @DominicCobb The Master Reprocessed was available in HD but i absolutely loved his take on the movie and would love a nice higher bitrate file or bluray for the shelf.

I love all of the original movies except for Samantha Darko / John Carter / The Master but the above edits are great alternatives and need a bit of an upgrade for our bigger TV's and projectors.

Hopefully the original editors will get around to it one day or give permission to enthusiatic editors to pursue the projects.
My Suicide Squad Special Edition edit began as a simple upscaling of @QuickestEditInTheWest's workprint of the same movie. I definitely reached out out to them as I began mine, and got nothing but encouragement. (Thanks again @QuickestEditInTheWest!) Again, it became something different, but I absolutely respect the inspiration.

Inspiration can come from anywhere, and as long as long as no one is trying to claim anothers work as their own, at least go for it on a personal level. Its like a food recipe - different cooks (not chefs as @Wraith wisely mentions LOL) with the same ingredients can have wildly different results.

Here is the second half of that great paraphrased quote........
“Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness.”
Oscar Wilde
That's really harsh, bud.

There’s a follow on… no offence meant.

It means we (collective faneditors) are the "mediocrity"…the greatness lies with the Filmakers…and auteurs…
HOWEVER
...long may our efforts seek and continue to expose the hidden greatness within…

just historical context
The paraphrasing stands IMO
(lost in translation)

Last edited:
It means we (collective faneditors) are the mediocrity…the greatness lies with the Filmakers…and auteurs…
I'd say that by re-editing a movie it's inherently not mimicking the filmmakers because the existence of a fan edit necessitates that a film is presented differently than what they came up with, we're just using what they made (so all credit goes to them). I'd say fan editors are guests in the world of filmmaking, making use of an opportunity to execute a creative vision as a form of homage with no desire for personal gain. But I wouldn't go as far as comparing fan editors to mimickers/mediocracy in the larger scheme of things.

Now of course, fan edits can mimic other fan edits in certain aspects or mimic original versions of movies (deleted scenes for example) but that's a special case.

Personally, I think fan edits of fan edits are perfectly fine depending on the degree of edits borrowed, such as, I probably wouldn't try to get it submitted or advertise it if I just copied an entire fan edit but changed a few things.

Personally, I think fan edits of fan edits are perfectly fine depending on the degree of edits borrowed, such as, I probably wouldn't try to get it submitted or advertise it if I just copied an entire fan edit but changed a few things.
I actually was originally just going to take the Anti-Cringe Cut and tweak a few minor continuity errors he had and call it a day (and just keep it to myself), but then I started Humming and Hawing about different scenes, and making more and more differences. Then I went "Hmm well I DID really like how that other editor did this scene.....and well, here we are.

Who is he talking about? Me?
No, me! Like, that's what Wraith looked like before he said:
“Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness.”
Oscar Wilde

(I know that's not what he meant, just thought it was an appropriate use of the meme given my initial reaction lol)

There’s a follow on… no offence meant.

It means we (collective faneditors) are the mediocrity…the greatness lies with the Filmakers…and auteurs…
HOWEVER
...long may our efforts seek and continue to expose the hidden greatness within…

just historical context
The paraphrasing stands IMO
(lost in translation)
I know. I was just poking. I knew where you were going with that, in some sense, the entire time.

I'd say that by re-editing a movie it's inherently not mimicking the filmmakers because the existence of a fan edit necessitates that a film is presented differently than what they came up with, we're just using what they made (so all credit goes to them). I'd say fan editors are guests in the world of filmmaking, making use of an opportunity to execute a creative vision as a form of homage with no desire for personal gain. But I wouldn't go as far as comparing fan editors to mimickers/mediocracy in the larger scheme of things.

Now of course, fan edits can mimic other fan edits in certain aspects or mimic original versions of movies (deleted scenes for example) but that's a special case.

Completely I agree.

I don’t think any of us are mediocre.
I was just pointing at the quote and it all got a bit muddled…but a good discussion has indeed followed…

Personally, I think there are creative edits and visionary contributors who are genius…. Pulp Empire being my first experience of that and thinking OMG!
Nothing mediocre about that gang!

Reactions: M4_
Oscar Wilde
Had no clue this was the original, I can see why some people cut this short lol, thanks for posting this Wraith

...exactly...

...and then I realised, the miscontruding...and ...Oh well ...

For me there is not one perfect Star Wars Prequels & sequels edit out there. After all these things are subjective. However, in the future i will definitely take inspiration from numerous editors and SW edits i've watched over the years to form my own versIons, with a few tweaks of my own of course. All credit will be given where due :)

I for one would be made up , if people took inspiration from my fanedits...but an an acknowledgement is always nice.

Most of my edits are not made for notoriety - im in this game out of frustration and experimentation( i do get some at home - don't worry :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: )
Take my three IFDB edits....La La Land was purely an experiment in whether a film would work if its main selling point (dancing) was removed. It wasn't made because i thought i could do a better job. In any case i usually watch a hybrid version of my La La Land edit and the original removing just the first two dance numbers.

Mars Phase 1 & 2 was just made so i didn't have to watch the documentary portion of the series during a re-watch

Lean on Pete is a beautiful movie in its own right but i wanted to make a book cut with the music of the author incorporated...It drove me nuts how the director did not use Willy Vlautin's beautiful music.

My next edit of Mandy...was born because i just love the style of Panos Cosmatos films but disliked the b-movie element of the acid drinking black skulls and heavy mental battle axes but i appreciate that for fans of the theatrical releases that probably is its charm and a selling / watching point .i just don't want to watch it in its original format anymore but i do want to revisit the film in the future but purely as a revenge movie.

That's the point really...cross pollinating inspiration. I've seen many thing that editors have done, which has made go off and practice and learn techniques....and I'm still learning. I'm a big fan of split screen and using it to tell stories. I have not done it yet myself, but BionicBob's Saga of the Apes is a case in point...
I spent a few hours just trying to do a couple of simple shots. as practice BIG RESPECT to BionicBob.
That's must have been a LOT of work...HUGE...

...and while we are on inspiring, here is a use of split screen I have not see before (wait 15 secs before tuning out)..anywhere I recall (apols for the slight detour)...

I don't think I' saying anything new with this; given that fanediting itself stands on the shoulders of hundreds, if not thousands of peoples' work with the original releases, it is difficult to stand up and say YOU CAN'T DO THAT with regard to a fanedit. People can do whatever they want with a movie and editing software.
My only issue would ever be is for someone to try and pass off other people's work as strictly their own, and I do think that were someone to try and pass along someone else's work on an edit for listing on IFDB, there would be legitimate reasons to deny it.

I have certainly used others ideas in a few places but always acknowledge where that concept comes from. I've had friends on this site edit my own projects to tweak it to their liking, but no so much as to qualify as it's own project for listing on IFDB, just as others have admitted to, tweaking a few pieces so that it becomes their favorite version of the film.

And though not frequent, it is not unheard of that sometimes, people literally come up with similar ideas and executions without seeing each other's works. I watched exactly two fanedits of the Hobbit before I made my edit, in the reviews it was mentioned that my Part 1 was very similar to another editor's work, but I had never (and still haven't) seen it. So it does/can happen.

For something to make it to IFDB, I think the difference would have to be significant, and credit given where due, but nothing should prevent people from sharing directly their personal revisions of edits with others that are interested, but again, good form dictates making sure people know where the sources come from.

Back
Top Bottom