• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Fan Edit Of The Year (FEOTY) 2020: and the WINNERS are...!

lapis molari

Better edits through feedback.
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
award banner FEOTY 2020 (1172x532).jpg

THE WINNERS AND RUNNERS-UP FOR THE 2020 FEOTY AWARDS ARE ON THE SECOND PAGE. 🥳

TRM7720-1.jpg

Welcome to the 2020 edition of the "Oscars of the Fanedits"! Thank you to all faneditors, for providing distraction, inspiration, and occasionally straight-up awesomeness with the 149(!) fanedits you created in 2020. Here is where we show our appreciation for those fanedits that positively stand out. The annual FEOTY has multiple categories, different from the monthly FEOTM which is one category. These awards are more than a round of applause to the winning editors, they confirm a level of quality that helps us now and in future to evaluate which fanedits we choose to watch. Go, watch, enjoy, and vote!

THE CALL FOR ENTRIES FOR FEOTY 2020 IS NOW OPEN! Post your submission(s) in this thread or PM me.

How to Submit Fanedits for FEOTY 2020: Approved Faneditors may submit entries for FEOTY categories. You may not submit yourself or your own work. If any category receives fewer than 3 or more than 12 entries, FE Moderators will consider which, if any, fanedits get added or removed before voting starts. The ten categories for FEOTY are:
a) "Fan Edit Of The Year". This is the big one! This category consists of the 12 FEOTM winners.
b) "Best TV to Movie Edit".
c) "Best Extended Edition".
d) "Best Short Of The Year".
e) "Best Combination Of The Year".
f) "Best Fan Edit by a New Editor".
g) "Best New Fan Editor Of The Year".
h) "Fan Editor Of The Year". Because FE is a community, winners in this category tend to be not only technically outstanding editors, but active and helpful in the forums.
i) "Best Cover Art Of The Year".
j) "Paradigm Award". An award for the fanedit that best shows the power and possibilities of fanediting. That makes you go "Wow, I hadn't realized you could do that / make that work."

To help you see which categories you can nominate your favorite edits for, you can sort the IFDB by categories.
Can't sort by New Editors & their New Edits so here's their list (click their names to get lists of their 2020 edits):
dannydangle,
doggo moon,
Heavysyde,
It'sOnRandom,
jrWHAG42,
Kikanator96,
Malthus,
TinyBreadMouse,
Wakeupkeo,
youngy94.

Voting Rules:
1) Active FE forum members may vote when they have been registered for more than a month and have a minimum of 5 posts. Checking this is done by FE moderators who cannot do this all the time of every day. As a result polls may be temporarily incorrect. Before you vote, please ensure you meet the criteria.
2) You may vote once in every category. You may not vote for yourself or your own work.
3) FEOTY entries can be submitted until 31 March. The voting polls will run for two months, until 31 May.
4) In case of a tie, the winner will be the edit that got the most nominations for entry. In case of FEOTMs that are automatically entered, the number of votes as FEOTM count as nominations.
5) Good sportsmanship: a) If you have a fanedit entered in a category, shout it from the rooftops! Just take care that you encourage people to vote for the category instead of specifically for your edit. For example, this is good: "My Something_Amazing edit is one of the entries for FEOTY! Please remember to vote for the edit you like best." While this goes too far: "My Something_Amazing edit is up for FEOTY! Go vote for my edit!" Enthusiasm that crosses into the grey area of "is it or isn't it" will be evaluated by FE moderators on a case by case basis. b) In the event of vote manipulation, FE moderators may adjust the number of votes or disqualify an entry.

submit_button.png

Last edited:

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I haven't watched anything in some of the categories but here are my choices for those I can vote for:

a) "Fan Edit Of The Year" - Dune: Deluxe Edition by 15MaF (the best version of this incredible film I've yet seen and I can hardly imagine a better one being made in the future)
f) "Best Fan Edit by a New Editor" - The Counselor: Special Edition (a very clever, focused and significant reworking of Ridley Scott's formerly muddled 'The Counselor')
g) "Best New Fan Editor Of The Year" - Wakeupkeo (for his 'The Counselor' edit and others)
h) "Fan Editor Of The Year" - subjectzero (released 17x Babylon 5 movie edits in 2020, quite a feat of editing)
i) "Best Cover Art Of The Year" - Logan Gothic by dannydangle (a clever homage to 1955's 'The Night of the Hunter')
j) "Paradigm Award" - For Your Eyes Only: 007 Cut by nostromo777 (re-scores the whole thing seamlessly with classic John Barry)

...and thanks to @lapis molari for organising this again.

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Goodness, I'm honored to be mentioned by the legendary TM2YC! So sorry i missed the original Jan 3 posting. Here are my nominations so far:

d) "Best Short Of The Year". Groucho Marxist by Doggo Moon (This could almost be a Paradigm choice too, I was that surprised at the great result from such an aggressive cut!)
g) "Best New Fan Editor Of The Year" Malthus (we had a good head to head in Sept for FEOTM and I try to manage my envy of the numerous reviews his edits receive.)

Like TM2YC, I haven't watched enough movies to get more categories filled out, but I'll try to watch some more edits to get some more noms in before the 31st!
And I second the thanks to @lapis molari for all the work you do!

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here are my picks for Fan Edit of the Year 2020

a) "Fan Edit Of The Year". Blade Runner - Penultimate Cut by @TM2YC 5 years in the works and well worth the wait. A true tour de Force.

b) "Best TV to Movie Edit". Doctor Who - The Caves of Androzani: The Movie Edit by @LastSurvivor From the logical cuts to minimise the less than stellar monster design to the fab new colour grade this edit truly delivers on its intentions.

c) "Best Extended Edition". Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith - Expanded Edition by @Bobson Dugnutt Bobson has put out numerous extended editions this year. This one just happens to be my favourite.

d) "Best Short Of The Year". Groucho Marxist by @doggo moon I had the pleasure of watching the preview copy of this. It is an unbelievable aggressive cut and one which, for my money, produces a much more satisfying product that the theatrical release of Joker.

e) "Best Combination Of The Year". 007 The Unofficial Series @DigModiFicaTion Combining the Daniel Craig era bond movies into a tight TV series format. Featuring minimal but judicious cuts this is a solid edit and great way to revisit these films.

f) "Best Fan Edit by a New Editor". Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Part 2 - The Consequences Edit by @Wakeupkeo Definitely an editor to watch. Their Dawn of Justice trilogy really brings out the best of the DCEU films.

g) "Best New Fan Editor Of The Year". @jrWHAG42 For their constant support, endless energy and unashamed passion for the things they love.

h) "Fan Editor Of The Year". @The Scribbling Man For all the work they put into this site, for their continued support and feedback of myself and others and for their work on exciting and innovative edits like their forthcoming "The Thing from 1951".

i) "Best Cover Art Of The Year". Blade Runner: The Penultimate Cut @TM2YC The art speaks for itself.

j) "Paradigm Award". @subjectzero for their TV to movie edits of Babylon 5. The sheer scope of this project is staggering. It takes a deft hand to trim any narrative but to tackle one of the richest TV narratives of all time AND produce a series of consistently high quality edits is a feat truly deserving of praise.

There are plenty of other people who deserve notable mentions but I'll save those for a separate post in the future.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
g) "Best New Fan Editor Of The Year". @jrWHAG42 For their constant support, endless energy and unashamed passion for the things they love.

h) "Fan Editor Of The Year". @The Scribbling Man For all the work they put into this site, for their continued support and feedback of myself and others and for their work on exciting and innovative edits like their forthcoming "The Thing from 1951".

I love the reasoning behind these two nominations. I think so often we forget the positive forces in our community and only see the outcomes. Two solid faneditors who go far beyond their own works. And as always Malthus, I appreciate your support and encouragement. You're right there in the mix of positive forces :)

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for organising this again, @lapis molari ! And thank you for your kind words, @Malthus (and @DigModiFicaTion ). Malthus, I'm honoured that you'd choose to nominate me when there are so many wonderful people that contribute to this community. And I echo DigMod in saying that you are among them!

I feel like there have been many edits I've wanted to watch in the past year, but I've just not gotten around to seeing them for one reason or another. I think I'll see if I can squeeze a few in before deciding on my nominations...

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
b) "Best TV to Movie Edit". Doctor Who - The Caves of Androzani: The Movie Edit by @LastSurvivor From the logical cuts to minimise the less than stellar monster design to the fab new colour grade this edit truly delivers on its intentions.

I am truly honored by your vote for this little edit I did - thanks Malthus.

So many edits I have not seen over the year... not sure I can even cobble together a list!

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don’t see a ton of fan edits as I don’t really buy a lot of movies. So, not owning the source, I don’t download the edits. That said, three that I saw last year stand out:

Blade Runner Penultimate Cut
Dune Deluxe Edition
And @Gaith ’s Hobbit edits (I forget what he calls them)

All of these I’d highly recommend and will watch again. But @TM2YC ‘s Blade Runner regrade would be tops for me ... even if he did leave in the unicorn scene. 😜

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ are you nominating any of those for specific categories?

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ are you nominating any of those for specific categories?
Well, Blade Runner would be my FEotY. If the other two fall into other categories, then sure. Or, if I can nominate all three for FEotY, I’d do that.

lapis molari

Better edits through feedback.
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
[...] if I can nominate all three for FEotY, I’d do that.

Absolutely, yes! You can nominate multiple fanedits per category.
Just keep it sane: if you nominate lots of entries for one category, you should be more critical in your evaluation.

subjectzero

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
j) "Paradigm Award". @subjectzero for their TV to movie edits of Babylon 5. The sheer scope of this project is staggering. It takes a deft hand to trim any narrative but to tackle one of the richest TV narratives of all time AND produce a series of consistently high quality edits is a feat truly deserving of praise.
Super humbled by that!

And I just realized I never did finish submitting the rest of the series! Ack!

15MaF

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I haven't watched anything in some of the categories but here are my choices for those I can vote for:

a) "Fan Edit Of The Year" - Dune: Deluxe Edition by 15MaF (the best version of this incredible film I've yet seen and I can hardly imagine a better one being made in the future)
f) "Best Fan Edit by a New Editor" - The Counselor: Special Edition (a very clever, focused and significant reworking of Ridley Scott's formerly muddled 'The Counselor')
g) "Best New Fan Editor Of The Year" - Wakeupkeo (for his 'The Counselor' edit and others)
h) "Fan Editor Of The Year" - subjectzero (released 17x Babylon 5 movie edits in 2020, quite a feat of editing)
i) "Best Cover Art Of The Year" - Logan Gothic by dannydangle (a clever homage to 1955's 'The Night of the Hunter')
j) "Paradigm Award" - For Your Eyes Only: 007 Cut by nostromo777 (re-scores the whole thing seamlessly with classic John Barry)

...and thanks to @lapis molari for organising this again.
Thanks for the mention TM2YC, much appreciated. Good on you Lapis for putting it all together again. I don't pick up that many BDs and so I don't watch a tonne of edits, but I've seen a couple more lately than I usually do, so I can at least make a small contribution to the votes - Best of luck to all!

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If I could suggest a few nominations?
FanMix: Bobson's The Dark World- Converged Edition
FanFix: Malthus' Thor: Odinson? - Godsized Edition

I swear I'm not just a Thor fan, but those are excellent edits. Also:
Extended Edition: Bobson's Ghostbusters II- Time is But a Window

Cover Art: Wakeupkeo for their Tron: Perfection
And I don't see artwork credits, but whoever did the Cover Art for:
macmilln's Fight Club: I Am Jack's Laryngitis - Redux
and
MusicEd921's Live and Let Die: Less is MOORE Edition

I regret I have but one life to live for these fanedits... I've not watched nearly enough of them to weigh in on many categories but I hope to see a few more before nominations are closed. Ya'll have produced a stunning amount of high quality work this year, it's just too much for some with limited time or budget to keep up with. :)

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Me, reacting to someone saying an edit of mine is worthy of a nomination.

high quality GIF

Top Bottom