• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Fall of the Jedi (Episode 2)

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
fotj23d1.png

fotj23d2.png

fotj23d3.png

Shown cover art by QuickCut

fotjcover1set.jpg

Original Run Time: 142 min.
New Run Time: 97 min. (50 min. cut, 5 min. added)

Intention: Continuing with the Fall of the Jedi trilogy, Episode 2 cuts poorly written dialog and bad acting while enhancing the romance we're suppose to believe in between Anakin and Padme. Also gone are references to R2D2 and C-3PO and moments that broke continuity with the original trilogy.

Cut List
This list is in noway complete, but it should give you a good sense of changes.

• tweaked opening crawl
  • flipped camera tilt to Coruscant
  • cut "We're making our final approach…"
  • cut "We made it. I guess I was wrong."
  • cut shot of Padme and running to Corde
  • cut Corde's dying words
  • cut "The Dark Side clouds everything."
  • cut "See you alive brings warm feelings to my heart."
  • trimmed Obi-Wan and Anakin's re-introduction to Padme and dialog throughout
  • cut Jar Jar and Anakin's discussion
  • cut assassin talking to Jango Fett
  • cut Obi-Wan and Anakin's "You're using her as bait" discussion while Padme sleeps
  • trimmed assassination attempt
  • cut "Are you alright, m'lady?"
  • trimmed Obi-Wan and Anakin's chase for the assassin
  • trimmed bar scene
  • cut scene where Palpatine tells Anakin he will become more powerful than Yoda
  • cut scene where Yoda, Windu and Obi-Wan discuss Anakin
  • trimmed Padme's packing scene
  • cut Obi-Wan going to diner
  • added deleted scene where Obi-Wan has dart tested
  • cut Obi-Wan visiting Yoda and the younglings about the missing planet
  • added scene where Obi-Wan tells Windu about the missing planet, and his concerns of Anakin
  • trimmed Anakin and Padme scene traveling on the ship as refugees
  • cut Padme's visit to the Queen of Naboo
  • cut scene of Anakin and Padme standing on the balcony looking over the lake
  • added scene of Anakin and Padme having dinner with her family
  • trimmed scene of Anakin and Padme's picnic
  • cut Anakin and Padme's fireplace scene
  • cut Windu and Yoda's discussion about diminished Jedi powers
  • cut Anakin's dream
  • cut "I'm sorry. I don't have a choice."
  • cut R2 from visit to Watto
  • cut chase through the planet rings
  • cut C3PO calling Anakin "the maker"
  • cut Techo Union Army's translator glitch
  • trimmed Anakin rescuing his mother
  • cut Yoda sensing Skywalker's pain
  • trimmed Obi-Wan's transmission to Anakin
  • trimmed Anakin's confession to Padme
  • cut Anakin grabbing a handful of dirt at his mother's funeral
  • cut C3PO going with Anakin and Padme
  • cut "If only Senator Amidala were here."
  • cut droid factory scene
  • added Padme trying to negotiate with Dooku
  • trimmed Padme's confession to Anakin that she loves him
  • trimmed execution scene
  • trimmed clones attack
  • cut Yoda and Dooku fight
  • cut Dooku meeting up with Palpatine

Special Thanks to the following for their input on this edit: Dwight Fry, Emanswfan,Ghouldetail, Kane1138, L8wrtr, Neglify, Quickcut, TomH1138, TV's Frink and Stankpac

Additonal Note: Some early viewers have asked me why I didn't remove Anakin's surname from the second film. (He maintains "Skywalker" in the first film as well.) The concern is that by keeping it in the film the audience will know that Luke is related to Anakin in A New Hope.

I never felt that this was a mystery, nor that keeping the audience in the dark about it was needed. My rationale for this is that in my cut of Episode 3 we know Anakin and Padme are pregnant. By the end of the film we know that child is actually twins, but it's never revealed that one is a boy and one is a girl. Their names are never given either. All we know at the end of the third film is that they need to be split up to be kept safe, and that Padme takes one while Obi-Wan the other. The idea, hopefully, is that most people will assume identical twins, not fraternal. This way the sibling mystery is preserved.

Also, in my cut of Episode 3, the last time we see Anakin is when Obi-Wan walks away from him as he burns alive. We never hear the name "Vader" in my cut, nor do we see Anakin being built into how we see him in the OT. With these changes I feel I've maintained the mystery I wanted to preserve. Knowing Luke is the son of Anakin doesn't hurt the flow in my opinion. Knowing that Anakin is Vader in the OT does, as does knowing Luke and Leia are siblings.

Please remember my goal was to edit the PT in such a way that someone who has never seen any of the Star Wars films could watch them in order without having key moments in the OT spoiled by the PT. In this I feel I have succeeded.

Availability: SD NTSC DVD-5 (usenet and Rapidshare), HD 720p AVCHD (usenet), HD 1080p BD25 (usenet)

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
These covers are ridiculously gorgeous.

stretch009

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Interesting, I don't think anyone has ever cut the droid factory scene from Ep. 2. Sounds good to me. :)

-

wabid

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The way the droid factory and yoda fight are cut are both brilliant. Mad props for the covers as well. The 3 disc spine idea is geonosis errr genius.

FoolsFollowing

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Agree with the entire cutlist, would quite like to also see what your overall aims/intentions are for the edit. :)

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Some early viewers have asked me why I didn't remove Anakin's surname from the second film. (He maintains "Skywalker" in the first film as well.) The concern is that by keeping it in the film the audience will know that Luke is related to Anakin in A New Hope.

I never felt that this was a mystery, nor that keeping the audience in the dark about it was needed. My rationale for this is that in my cut of Episode 3 we know Anakin and Padme are pregnant. By the end of the film we know that child is actually twins, but it's never revealed that one is a boy and one is a girl. Their names are never given either. All we know at the end of the third film is that they need to be split up to be kept safe, and that Padme takes one while Obi-Wan the other. The idea, hopefully, is that most people will assume identical twins, not fraternal. This way the sibling mystery is preserved.

Also, in my cut of Episode 3, the last time we see Anakin is when Obi-Wan walks away from him as he burns alive. We never hear the name "Vader" in my cut, nor do we see Anakin being built into how we see him in the OT. With these changes I feel I've maintained the mystery I wanted to preserve. Knowing Luke is the son of Anakin doesn't hurt the flow in my opinion. Knowing that Anakin is Vader in the OT does, as does knowing Luke and Leia are siblings.

Please remember my goal was to edit the PT in such a way that someone who has never seen any of the Star Wars films could watch them in order without having key moments in the OT spoiled by the PT. In this I feel I have succeeded.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Makes perfect sense to me, Q2. After all, it's not like there's an alternate track anyway where they call him "Anakin Starkiller" all the time or something.

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was one of the previewers that initially suggested the removal of "Skywalker", but the way Q2 ends Episode III would have made it pointless anyway, so I took it back.

FoolsFollowing

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The whole 'preserve the secrets' thing seems odd to me. The prequels are built out of the secrets revealed in the OT. The only way to keep said secrets is either to mutilate the films completely, in such a way that a 'twist' is kept but characterisatino is severely harmed, or to do something that I haven't yet seen any fanedit specifically address and design the prequels to be watched after the OT.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Have faith, my young apprentice . . . er, I mean . . . FoolsFollowing. :) I'm going to give Q2 the benefit of the doubt until I see all three of his edits.

wabid

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dwight Fry. I also started asking questions, and backed off when I realized Q2 wants you to know Anakin is the father. I think it makes Obi's line "Vader killed your father" more powerful, because now the audience thinks he is a liar.

With these changes I feel I've maintained the mystery I wanted to preserve.
I/we will be the judge of that.

The only way to keep said secrets is either to mutilate the films completely, in such a way that a 'twist' is kept but characterisatino is severely harmed

As far as Q2's episodes 1 and 2, he has not really harmed any characters. I have asked him to reduce the Emperor in Episode 1 and he is considering it. I think preserving that secret until Episode 3 makes 3,4,5,6 ALL have twists. (Palpatine=Emperor. Obi killed Anakin, lies and blames Vader. Yoda=Lukes Father. Luke=Leia.)

I will say Q2 is butchering Revenge of the Sith, and I am very excited to see if it works. The reason I actually like what he is up to MORE now, is because if the audience knows Anakin is Lukes father, they will fear Luke has the capacity to follow in his footsteps the entire series.

wabid

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dwight Fry said:

I thought RotJ is where Ferris Bueller, Fight Club, and Old School got the idea that
Cameron Frye/Tyler Durden/Beanie Campbell are figments of the narrator's imagination. Didn't Calvin and Hobbes copy RotJ there too?

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
wabid said:
I thought RotJ is where Ferris Bueller, Fight Club, and Old School got the idea that
Cameron Frye/Tyler Durden/Beanie Campbell are figments of the narrator's imagination. Didn't Calvin and Hobbes copy RotJ there too?
I don't have a clue what any of this means.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
wabid said:
Luke=Leia.

Dwight Fry said:

wabid said:

TManFreeman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
From what I've seen, this series of edits lends itself best to a 451236 viewing order. That way all the big twists are sustained.

wabid

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TManFreeman said:
From what I've seen, this series of edits lends itself best to a 451236 viewing order. That way all the big twists are sustained.

The point of this edit is that you can watch it 1,2,3,4,5,6 and all the twists are sustained. Thus far Q2 has done a great job. He is even considering an alternate 1 cut to also preserve the palpatine=sidious.

I am wondering what twist you think would be better preserved in 451236 order.

emanswfan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Finished watching the BD-25 version, apart from 3 cuts that weren't seamless, this was certainly my favorite version of Ep 2. My only suggestion would be to remove references to Siddious and Tyrannus (we never see him called tyrannus, why call him that only one time). I find it utter stupidity on the jedi's part for not catching the chancellor by that point, given all the obvious signs shown to them right in their faces.

Top Bottom