- Reaction score
- Trophy Points
Shown cover art by QuickCut
Original Run Time: 142 min.
New Run Time: 97 min. (50 min. cut, 5 min. added)
Intention: Continuing with the Fall of the Jedi trilogy, Episode 2 cuts poorly written dialog and bad acting while enhancing the romance we're suppose to believe in between Anakin and Padme. Also gone are references to R2D2 and C-3PO and moments that broke continuity with the original trilogy.
This list is in noway complete, but it should give you a good sense of changes.
- tweaked opening crawl
- flipped camera tilt to Coruscant
- cut "We're making our final approach…"
- cut "We made it. I guess I was wrong."
- cut shot of Padme and running to Corde
- cut Corde's dying words
- cut "The Dark Side clouds everything."
- cut "See you alive brings warm feelings to my heart."
- trimmed Obi-Wan and Anakin's re-introduction to Padme and dialog throughout
- cut Jar Jar and Anakin's discussion
- cut assassin talking to Jango Fett
- cut Obi-Wan and Anakin's "You're using her as bait" discussion while Padme sleeps
- trimmed assassination attempt
- cut "Are you alright, m'lady?"
- trimmed Obi-Wan and Anakin's chase for the assassin
- trimmed bar scene
- cut scene where Palpatine tells Anakin he will become more powerful than Yoda
- cut scene where Yoda, Windu and Obi-Wan discuss Anakin
- trimmed Padme's packing scene
- cut Obi-Wan going to diner
- added deleted scene where Obi-Wan has dart tested
- cut Obi-Wan visiting Yoda and the younglings about the missing planet
- added scene where Obi-Wan tells Windu about the missing planet, and his concerns of Anakin
- trimmed Anakin and Padme scene traveling on the ship as refugees
- cut Padme's visit to the Queen of Naboo
- cut scene of Anakin and Padme standing on the balcony looking over the lake
- added scene of Anakin and Padme having dinner with her family
- trimmed scene of Anakin and Padme's picnic
- cut Anakin and Padme's fireplace scene
- cut Windu and Yoda's discussion about diminished Jedi powers
- cut Anakin's dream
- cut "I'm sorry. I don't have a choice."
- cut R2 from visit to Watto
- cut chase through the planet rings
- cut C3PO calling Anakin "the maker"
- cut Techo Union Army's translator glitch
- trimmed Anakin rescuing his mother
- cut Yoda sensing Skywalker's pain
- trimmed Obi-Wan's transmission to Anakin
- trimmed Anakin's confession to Padme
- cut Anakin grabbing a handful of dirt at his mother's funeral
- cut C3PO going with Anakin and Padme
- cut "If only Senator Amidala were here."
- cut droid factory scene
- added Padme trying to negotiate with Dooku
- trimmed Padme's confession to Anakin that she loves him
- trimmed execution scene
- trimmed clones attack
- cut Yoda and Dooku fight
- cut Dooku meeting up with Palpatine
Special Thanks to the following for their input on this edit: Dwight Fry, Emanswfan,Ghouldetail, Kane1138, L8wrtr, Neglify, Quickcut, TomH1138, TV's Frink and Stankpac
Additonal Note: Some early viewers have asked me why I didn't remove Anakin's surname from the second film. (He maintains "Skywalker" in the first film as well.) The concern is that by keeping it in the film the audience will know that Luke is related to Anakin in A New Hope.
I never felt that this was a mystery, nor that keeping the audience in the dark about it was needed. My rationale for this is that in my cut of Episode 3 we know Anakin and Padme are pregnant. By the end of the film we know that child is actually twins, but it's never revealed that one is a boy and one is a girl. Their names are never given either. All we know at the end of the third film is that they need to be split up to be kept safe, and that Padme takes one while Obi-Wan the other. The idea, hopefully, is that most people will assume identical twins, not fraternal. This way the sibling mystery is preserved.
Also, in my cut of Episode 3, the last time we see Anakin is when Obi-Wan walks away from him as he burns alive. We never hear the name "Vader" in my cut, nor do we see Anakin being built into how we see him in the OT. With these changes I feel I've maintained the mystery I wanted to preserve. Knowing Luke is the son of Anakin doesn't hurt the flow in my opinion. Knowing that Anakin is Vader in the OT does, as does knowing Luke and Leia are siblings.
Please remember my goal was to edit the PT in such a way that someone who has never seen any of the Star Wars films could watch them in order without having key moments in the OT spoiled by the PT. In this I feel I have succeeded.
Availability: SD NTSC DVD-5 (usenet and Rapidshare), HD 720p AVCHD (usenet), HD 1080p BD25 (usenet)