• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Fall of the Jedi (Episode 1)

I took my brother-in-law to see The Force Awakens last week and it was his first time seeing any Star Wars movie all the way through. He's seen bits and pieces of the Original Trilogy when it has aired on TV but he's never sat down and seen one from start to finish. After The Force Awakens he wanted to watch all six of the other movies so we're going to watch one a week for the next six weeks and we started with The Phantom Menace last night. Since Q2's edit is my go-to we watched that instead of the Blu-ray. Having never seen the official release before he was a perfect test subject and afterward he said there were a couple of points he didn't understand. At first I thought this was going to be because something got dropped in the editing that I hadn't noticed since I was already familiar with the story but his only questions were:
1) How does the senate work? I though Amidala was a queen? Or is she the decoy? Why are there decoys?
2) Why do they even use light sabers? Darth Maul just threw Obi-Wan into the pit and that was much more effective than all of the jumping around with swords.
3) Why does everybody hate Jar-Jar so much? He's barely in the movie.
4) What is the Trade Federation? How are they fighting the Republic?

My answers were:
1) You're right, that doesn't make any sense but it didn't in the original version either.
2) You're right, that doesn't make any sense but it didn't in the original version either.
3) Trust me, he's the worst. You can thank Q2 for taking care of that.
4) You're right, that doesn't make any sense but it didn't in the original version either.

This is me reading this last post:

"Seeing TFA made my brother-in-law want to see all six other movies": Yay!

"So we started with The Phantom Menace"" Boo!

"But we used a fan edit as his first ever experience with the film": Yay!

:)

And, yes, for as much time is actually spent among politicians in the prequels, nothing useful is ever explained so that the relationship between the queen and the senate make sense, or so that the conflict between a trade company and the Republic make sense.

As for lightsabers, they may not be very useful, but princes in fairy tales use swords, and people in outer space stories use laser guns. So Lucas combined the two and gave us a laser sword. And people love it because it looks and sounds cool. Hopefully that explains it for your brother-in-law. :)

It's been several years since I've watched this, and upon watching it with fresh eyes I realize that I made the mistake of cutting too much causing a pacing issue. I've gone back and re-inserted approx. 6 min. of footage to slow it down just a bit in areas I felt were too fast.

Version 3 Changes
- reinstated some footage of Qui-Gon meeting Jar-Jar
- reinstated some footage after entering Gungan city
- reinstated some footage meeting Gungan leader
- reinstated some footage of leaving Gungan city
- reinstated some footage of meeting Anakin
- reinstated some footage of going to Anakin's home
- reinstated some footage prior to pod race
- cut Obi-Wan saying "I gave Qui-Gon my word"
- reinstated end celebration

Back
Top Bottom