• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

F*cking bootleggers

technically the footage belongs to the company that recorded it. It wouldn't fall under any acts or protection because you are selling something that another person has created and they have received no compensation for it. Any chance we can talk to the lawyer who said it was ok for him to sell this? I smell disbarring.

Thanks DoctorM. Have been looking for a site that does that, as my VHS capping abilities are...minimal.

Thanks again,

-Dan

What is the same guy as which?

Hmm, I just saw that they guy has Star Wars edits: The Special Corrector's Edition, The NY Cut and the LA Cut.
Doesn't look like any edits we've done though.

I say we get as many mambers as possible to report him. as for threatening to report Heinrich and by proxy any of us that do report him, then let him try. soon as ebay sees all the polite requests for him to remove the item etc. etc. they'll tell him to go take a hike.

i really hope he does try the harrassment thing as that'll be the final nail is his coffin.

SuperHappyFun more info:

I just found out this guy has a back room (password protected). Under the category of "new and questionable" --

* Johnny Mnemonic: Uncut
(With English Subtitles)
This is the Japanese import version of the Robert Longo film, based on the William Gibson story/script.

* Waterworld: Workprint

A very rough version of this failed work.

* Waterworld: TV Cut

2 DVDr set of an ABC screening of WATERWORLD - quite a lot of extra material here.

* eXistenZ: worKprnT

Not sure what the differences are between this and the final version. I really didn't like Cronenberg's final film -- felt kind of like a watered down VIDEODROME meets Philip K. Dick (check out the Perky Pat reference in the flick). This is a workprint -- so the quality is poor and there's timecode on screen.

* What Dreams May Come: Workprint

An early version of this Vincent Ward film. It's "serious Robin Williams" even though he doesn't have the prerequisite beard.

* The Shining: Remix

This is a strange one. It's a visual remix of Stanley Kubrick's THE SHINING (not that crappy TV version) -- most of the movie is there but it's re-arranged and tightened up. The majority of the musical score has been replaced with a driving techno soundtrack. That might sound bad but it works.

* FIGHT CLUB: WORK PRINT

I am Jack's delight as I enjoy this early cut of David Fincher's masterpiece. The Dust Brothers soundtrack isn't there yet (check out the wailing chorus of voices from 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY as "Jack" fights Tyler) and the voice over seems to be a different take. A few extra shots here and there make this of great interest.

* THE MATRIX: DEZIONIZED

A very clever, albeit flawed, attempt to create a proper sequel to THE MATRIX. RELOADED and REVOLUTIONS are cut together with all of the Zion scenes gone (no more "Zion Rave"). It's an interesting concept but you can't polish a turd.

* War of the Worlds: Extinctive Cut

A fan edit of Spielberg's WOTW -- different spfx, no Tim Robbins, no Bostin. A much more bleak and effective work.

* Star Trek: Kirkless Generations

When I read the description I couldn't believe that it would work. This fan edit removes all scenes of the "old Enterprise" and every Jim Kirk bit there is. Doesn't fix the fatal flaw of "Why does Picard choose to go back to that exact spot rather than earlier?" but it's a lot more tight. Think of this as the ultimate Season Finale. Oh, and, it works.

* Two Lane Blacktop

This amazing film from Monte Hellman has gone out of print and is going for insane prices on the internet.

* Todd Haynes Double Feature

SUPERSTAR: THE KAREN CARPENTER STORY (1987), which Richard Carpenter put the kibosh on, along with DOTTIE GETS SPANKED (1994). The picture quality is terrific (save for the white on off-white graphics Haynes employed in SUPERSTAR).

* Star Trek: Phase 2

Simply put, this is a fan edit of STAR TREK V: THE FINAL FRONTIER. It's been edited as if it were the pilot for a new ST TV show -- an hour long, fades to black for commercials, old school sound effects and music cues. Still fatally flawed but so much better than the Shatner cut.

* Batman & Robin: De-Assified

This is the newly released and increasingly infamous Greencapt edit of the motion picture 'Batman & Robin'. This edition, called 'Batman & Robin: De-Assified' has a running time of 63 minutes and features, among other cuts:

1) The entire Alfred/MacGregor's subplot has been taken out. 2) *Most* of the cheesy lines have been removed, as well as all the cartoony sound effects. 3)Stupid visual elements such as the Bat-skates, the Bat-credit card, butt and crotch shots, etc have been removed. 4) Batman's character and dialogue has been tweaked to make it appear as if (brace yourself now!) he only speaks when speaking is needed; he seems much more intelligent and seems much more in control of the world and people around him. 5)The petty bickering between Batman and Robin has been removed and they act as a team. And so much more!

At first I'm all: cool workprints... then I scrolled down... the ass.
Send him an email and bitch about him stealing fanedits.

just got my reply from the almighty idiot.

If you read the auction thouroughly, you will see there is nothing wrong or illegal in selling these DVD's. In the US, Copyright law does not apply to unreleased alternate versions of films. I also checked with an attourney and with eBay before listing this item. Now, you are either a fan, that deliberately searched out this item, or someone simply looking to stir up trouble. Either way, you clicked on my auction, and if you had no intention of buying one, then why waste my time with pointless emails like this when you clearly do not know United States law? Under eBay's definitions, this is not a bootleg DVD, nor is it an illegal copy of a film that is in the theaters or that I have 'ripped' from a legal DVD. IT is also not a fan edit, as you say. This is a version that was even embraced by the late Mustapha Akkad. He himself preferred this version and gave his blessing to those who loved it as much as he did. Legal issues with Dimension have not ever allowed this version to be released, therefore it is in public domain, and I am free to sell it. Good day.

what a pompous asshole, im going to ask him for the contact info for his so called lawyer to verify his claims.

i look forward to his reply, im hoping he'll play the harrassment card with me.

just a thought, how many fan edits on the site dont have the fan edit disclaimer on it? i was just thinking that maybe the disclaimer could be bunged into the menu design somewhere? nothing fancy just have it as the first thing that is displayed when the dvd is put in.

seems like superhappyfun is selling alot of fan edits, especially cbb edits

boon did you see this?

weak!

ok this is another asshat selling edits. Maybe we should really push for people to create their edits with the warning logo at the beginning. This just really boils my nerves when i see these people act like they are perfectly in the right for selling other peoples work many of whom spent alot of time of these (i.e. cbb group)

definently, maybe in the beginning, and at the end, and not so it plays before the main feature, but make it part of the main feature, so it cant be ripped out. That way the bastards would have to actually edit the warnings out of the movie.

then maybe they'd see how hard it is

One problem I ran into when my Star Wars preservations were posted on Demonoid, some jackass gave detailed information on how to remove the warning page.

It can't be a separate title since that's REALLY easy to remove.
It should probably be edited in as the first chapter of the film or something to prevent this, but as we know we could clip those in a few seconds.

Watermarks? I just don't know what would work...

Btw, the Fan Edit warning is nice but in the case of presrvations doesn't seem like an adequate description.

nOmArch: Just report the guy to Ebay as selling a disc that contains material that is copyrighted. No matter how you clip it together, in whatever order, it is protected by copyright (as we well know).
There are no U.S. laws protecting it (or us).

DoctorM said:
One problem I ran into when my Star Wars preservations were posted on Demonoid, some jackass gave detailed information on how to remove the warning page.

It can't be a separate title since that's REALLY easy to remove.
It should probably be edited in as the first chapter of the film or something to prevent this, but as we know we could clip those in a few seconds.

Watermarks? I just don't know what would work...

Btw, the Fan Edit warning is nice but in the case of presrvations doesn't seem like an adequate description.

nOmArch: Just report the guy to Ebay as selling a disc that contains material that is copyrighted. No matter how you clip it together, in whatever order, it is protected by copyright (as we well know).

We know it's easy to clip the first few seconds but at least it might slow down the bootleggers a little bit. I have kicked around this issue for a while on how to get people to stop selling bootlegs of fanedits and every idea i come back with can be circumvented. The only idea that i have heard yet that would be feasible was one by dark jedi where he suggested you burn the disc with a crc error so that way it can be watched but it cannot be ripped or copied. The only problem with this is you would be able to distribute via rs or torrent or newsgroups. The only way people would get your edit is if you specifically sent a disc to them but even the people you sent a disc to wouldn't be able to pif since they can't copy their disc.

it would kinda suck, but maybe a scroll half way through the movie like:

If you bought this movie, you were scammed. FE.com for more details

right through the picture, for 5 seconds. Not that big a deal

that might be hard to take out.

DoctorM said:

he was reported soon after i got the first reply.

hehe i replied to his first response, telling him that yes it was a fanedit and it was available from here and i also asked if he would share the contact info for his lawyer friend.

heres his reply

Well, nowhere on fanedit does it say that the version they have is the 'MOJO' version. And, since you haven't seen the version I have, how do you know it's the same one? As I'm sure you know that there are several edits of this film floating around out there, and various sites offer them for either free or for various amounts of money. And, you must also realize that not everyone knows where else to go for this film. And, as I am offering it to them at far less than what most people sell it on here for, they are getting a deal. Most of these, as I am sure you know, go on eBay for around $100.00 US. I charge only $35.00 US, plus whatever shipping works out to be depending on where you live. If you live overseas, it's more, but here in the US shipping is only $4.60. Not bad, and well cheaper than paying over $100 for some jerk to make a huge profit. I am offering this for the fans, and because years ago, when I bought my first two of these, I had to pay over $90.00 US for each, and I felt that was a rip off. True Myers fans should be able to see this, and it shouldn't cost them an arm and a leg to do so. I am trying to help out my fellow fans. Plus, not everyone has the desire to sit and download a movie off the net. I would much rather watch it on my home theater system than my computer. What I don't get is why people such as yourself, who obviously know and enjoy alternate versions of these films, would care if someone is offering them to the public at large? superhappyfun.com has been selling movies like this for over 7 years, but unfortunately, not a lot of people know about them, or fanedit, for that matter. If someone doesn't want to buy one from me, then don't. That is perfectly ok. I would rather someone get it for free. But if they want this one, then great. I offer fast service and a quality product, for a fair price. I like having this on DVD, rather than my computer. If my harddrive dies, I don't lose a bunch of downloaded films. Why does it bother you?

wow he's changed his tune a bit, notice distinct lack of lawyer contact information though.

nOmArch said:
wow he's changed his tune a bit, notice distinct lack of lawyer contact information though.

That's because he's full of crap. The last thing he wants is to make a legal issue out of this because he knows he'll lose so he uses that fear to threaten those who question him. When that didn't work he went on a guilt trip about how he's doing people a favor by charging them for what they can get for free.

Notice how in his first response he said he never heard of people giving the movie away and in this one he acknowledges it as common knowledge. Keep the pressure on him.

im just surprised ebay hasnt taken down the auction yet. usually they are pretty prompt with stuff like that. :???:

did the guy even look if you type mojo into the sites search there is only two threads with that words. This one and the one in rs that says Mojo's Halloween. The guy has trouble searching apparently. And what does he mean a file on the computer. The file is dvd-video. All you do is burn it to a dvd.

Lastly is he really serious about asking why we would stop him from asking $35 bucks for a movie? How about the last sucker he got to buy one who paid $85 check his history. Because a burnt movie at most should cost $5-6 bucks and that is including a good quality disc with a color printed label, dvd case and also high quality cover art.

We are here for people who love movies, we want to see people be able to get these movies for free and to be able to enjoy all the old memories these movies bring back without having to sell a spleen to get it.

*Sorry for the partial rant*

Does this guy not realize he is just as bad as the guy who charged him $95 for the movie originally. I really wish i had the time and equipment because i would love to take every single edit to ebay and sell them for cost. So people will always have a dirt cheap option as opposed to someone charging $35.

and i weep. I just checked how many this guy sold in this one auction and apparently he has already sold 9 of them and has 11 more to sell. Talk about depressing.

rant? all sounded like common sense to me! i just hope a few more people other than me and hienrich have reported and sent him emails. i'd love to see him try and keep up with 20 people emailing him about it.

Back
Top Bottom