• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Extract 7.1 or 5.1 - if Only Using 6 Channels?

tizzeres

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello, I'm using eac3 to convert DTS audio into wavs, for use on an edit. The edit is using 5.1 audio - no back left or right channels.
And so, I was wondering if I convert the DTS-HD MA 7.1 into wavs - and do not use the two back channels - will I be losing volume? That is to say, on a 7.1 mix is audio within the front left and right channels split between the other left and right channels - and so, by themselves, quieter. Or, are the front left and right channels of a 7.1 mix usually the same volume as they would be in a 5.1?
Is it then better to use DTS 5.1 audio from a rip or the DTS-HD MA 7.1 (minus back channels)?

Maybe it depends on the editing program you're using, but I use DaVinci Resolve, and I have never been able to successfully convert 7.1 to 5.1. Resolve usually rejects the file when I do it (I think 5.1 is the maximum for my version of Resolve, since I use the free version).

So my advice is to stick with 5.1, but I think this is a sort of trial-and-error kind of situation. The only way to find out, really, is to convert the file, and see what results you come up with. If you're not satisfied, delete the converted file and try again. I've done most of my conversions through trial-and-error, and while it can be frustrating, you'll eventually find a conversion process that works perfectly for you! I promise!

You will potentially be losing content. Convert 7.1 to 5.1 first.

EDIT:
Use dmMediaConverter to convert the 7.1 channel to 5.1 channel audio file in WAV format. To do this: uncheck the Enabled box for the video stream. Uncheck the Copy box for the audio stream. Highlight the audio stream then select WAV as the codec and select 5.1 for the channels. When you save the filename be sure you add the .wav extension or the program won’t convert it correctly.

Also I personally find it much easier not to use separate WAV’s. I make one WAV which contains 6 channels.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom