• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Exporting Mov into a good quality edit.

geminigod said:
Keep in mind that an MKV file is also a container file not so different from MP4 (or the BD M2TS file ironically). Thus you may gain nothing by converting to this except to potentially cause quality loss... UNLESS what the MKV tool is doing is simply demuxing the M2TS file and remuxing as MKV. IF this is the case and IF this allows your other program to then convert that into the ProRes format, this could be an acceptable workflow with minimal quality loss. It should be easy to tell, because if it is just re-muxing, the whole conversion process shouldn't take more than 10 minutes. If it is re-encoding, the process will take significantly longer for a movie.

FYI, according to the web site answers in the forum, MakeMKV provides you a 1:1 copy of the BD, except without the copy protection, and just places it inside the MKV container.

I agree though, if PavTube can do everything and with no quality concerns, it is probably worth the money, because it should get you there faster than MakeMKV --> iMkvExtract --> MPEGStreamClip. But, if someone must have a free solution, this is the solution it seems.

Sweet! Perhaps you and L8wrtr can summarize these 2 workflow options and make a sticky for it in the mac technical section???!?? ;-);-) Ripping on mac: 1. Free option. 2. Easier semi-cheap option.

Sounds like a good idea.:)

I've got my BD burner ordered, and once I get it ill give the free option a try and document how it goes!

Good and bad news!

Good news is that I solved the problem!
Bad news is that I am going to have to make another extraction from my bluray copy, unfortunately last time I did that was at my cousin house and that's like 2 hours on air plane.
Meanwhile i am stuck here with the blu ray and dvd. My question is, would a dvd rip quality make the trick? is the difference that huge?

Stygma Raptor said:
Good and bad news!

Good news is that I solved the problem!
Bad news is that I am going to have to make another extraction from my bluray copy, unfortunately last time I did that was at my cousin house and that's like 2 hours on air plane.
Meanwhile i am stuck here with the blu ray and dvd. My question is, would a dvd rip quality make the trick? is the difference that huge?

Well, if you only are able to use the DVD then it obviously won't be HD. But it might be easier for you, since this is your first edit, to do it in standard definition and work from your DVD. You might run into less problems, and now that your fellow forum members have generously offered up some good support and advice, it should be a smoother process.

But let's make it clear that the quality difference video is a huge one, especially if you use 1080p.

However, there are merits like Gatos said to working with the DVD instead/first, especially if this is your first edit. DVD will be easier to work with all down the line, including when it comes time to release. Since this is your first edit, it is a compelling argument to just focus on your editing skills and not worry whether you are releasing the highest resolution possible. You can always go back and re-release your first edit in HD (like I'm doing! ;-))

so you ask, will the difference be a huge one? You need to consider the big picture, and video quality is just one of them at this point. The quality of your editing both technical and in telling the story are far more important. Trust me when I say your fist edit is not easy, and I think maybe it might be a good idea to go with DVD first.

Finally, to help ease your worries, check how many other editors have released HD versions of the edit you are working on. I bet not many, since the movie is an old one (Jurassic Park, right?) . That means most reviewers won't be comparing your release to others that are in HD.

Alright, I just did another extraction from my DvD and its funny but the quality of how it looks its way more amazing in comparison on how it used to look.
Now I must reconnect/merge the timeline right?

I havent slept in 3 days because of this, But I give you my word that I will get it done.
Thank you so much to all of you guys for your support and patience!

Stygma Raptor said:
Alright, I just did another extraction from my DvD and its funny but the quality of how it looks its way more amazing in comparison on how it used to look.
Now I must reconnect/merge the timeline right?

I havent slept in 3 days because of this, But I give you my word that I will get it done.
Thank you so much to all of you guys for your support and patience!

No reason you should be losing sleep over this. This isn't a race. Just take your time with it.

Stygma Raptor said:
My question is, would a dvd rip quality make the trick? is the difference that huge?

Are tits a big deal? Not in the grand scheme of things, but I'd probably fly two hours for a pair. :p

H
geminigod said:
Are tits a big deal? Not in the grand scheme of things, but I'd probably fly two hours for a pair. :p

Hhahahaha! Ohhh stop it!:-D

Surprisingly the DVD quality looks grainy and waaay better, whilst my blu ray rip looks pixelized.
Ill show the dvd quality one first and later on Ill do a blu ray special release with extra content ^_^

Reconecting media has become troublesome as well, because the sequences are gaining an extra pair of frames on every cut that I did. >_> this is sure troublesome.

Stygma Raptor said:
Surprisingly the DVD quality looks grainy and waaay better, whilst my blu ray rip looks pixelized.
well, you probably didn't rip the blu ray correctly then. It shouldn't have looked pixelated. But this is an issue you no longer have to deal with right now! ;-)
Reconecting media has become troublesome as well, because the sequences are gaining an extra pair of frames on every cut that I did. >_> this is sure troublesome.

i hate to say this but really your best course of action would be to start a new project. I have been in this same boat, trying to reconnect media after a change that caused the sequences to have extra frames at the end causing flash frame moments, and boy is it a pain to fix. (Again, back when I worked on my first edit and I had originally ripped the DVD at 30fps, then wanted to switch to 24fps)

there is no way in fixing this except manually, I've found. So you have to weight what is going to take more of your time - and I'd say most cases point to just redoing your edits in a new project. See it as an extra learning experience, and when you revisit the edits, you may end up making them better anyway. :)

seciors said:
well, you probably didn't rip the blu ray correctly then. It shouldn't have looked pixelated. But this is an issue you no longer have to deal with right now! ;-)

i hate to say this but really your best course of action would be to start a new project. I have been in this same boat, trying to reconnect media after a change that caused the sequences to have extra frames at the end causing flash frame moments, and boy is it a pain to fix. (Again, back when I worked on my first edit and I had originally ripped the DVD at 30fps, then wanted to switch to 24fps)

there is no way in fixing this except manually, I've found. So you have to weight what is going to take more of your time - and I'd say most cases point to just redoing your edits in a new project. See it as an extra learning experience, and when you revisit the edits, you may end up making them better anyway. :)

Sniff Sniff... Well At least I will get my current version up for people to give me critic. Its the least I could do anyways.
I will talk with an instructor tomorrow to see what he thinks that could be done. He didnt had a lot of time today but he showed me how to trim stuff really quick, I was astonished.

That will be my last resort, if it can be done then hurray! If not... then Bring in the pain >_>

yeah, definitely check with your instructor before taking my advice on starting over. And if your instructor has a way to deal with the problem, please post it since I'd really like to know too!

Finally I have cracked the problem. Had to use trim but I managed to fix them movie. Now I have it in Blu ray and its exporting as we speak.
I would like to give a special thanks to everyone who gave their time and effort on helping me out. Thank you so much for your time! :D

That's great news! I'm guessing you had to examine each edit point and trim it if necessary?

so you are back to using the blu-ray source? Did you re-rip it? I thought you said it looked pixelated and inferior to your DVD rip?

what are you using to export to BD?

Yup I had to trim some frames, my instructor taught me how and it was super effective! As a matter of fact I think it made some sequences look even better than they where before!

A friend happened to have a blu ray ripper, He made me a huge favour and ripped me a new one! And now I have the final product. The only problem is that its size its almost 32GB.
I exported it on AppleproRess422 Lite, I am going to try and see if I can turn that one into a h.264 or 234 or whatever the name of that file is. In order to make it smaller.

Stygma Raptor, I think you should consider making a standard definition version of this edit. The HD route is difficult, especially for new editors and the file sizes you've produced will discourage many viewers from downloading it (and will be a major roadblock in getting an Academy member to watch your submission). This is just my opinion though.

I think Gatos' advice is sound, especially since you are working on an edit that isn't "overdone" (like the Star Wars PT, where people now except HD) - meaning, people will be willing to overlook the SD vs HD issue if you produce a good quality edit, and that has nothing to do with picture resolution.

When you are doing your first edit, you really want to make things as easy on yourself as possible. And working with SD will make thins easier. This is especially true when it comes to delivery; and that's incredibly important not only to get your edit approved, but to be watched. You won't be thinking about this now, but HD delivery options on the Mac are much more complicated than SD, since Apple has and is still adamantly against supporting the blu ray format natively. If you are using FCP7, then you also have DVD Studio Pro, which should make it much easier to create your final product (in SD). You can also use iDVD if you wish.

I'm not going to say you can't go with HD, but you really need to make sure what you are doing in terms of format choices, because the last thing you want is to make a bad choice at the start and have to start over at a certain point when it comes back to bite you. Or you get to the end and get overwhelmed by how to author your final product.

If you are gong to edit in HD, it is essential that you edit in an appropriate format. Unless you are using a super powerful computer, you should not be doing your editing with h264 - it's a highly compressed codec meant solely for playback. Your computer has to do tons of decoding work to allow you to work and make editing decisions at the frame level. You really need to stick with prores when editing on the Mac.

Second, if you are using FCP express or 7, i'm almost positive you can't even use h264 for editing - when you import such a file, FCP will first require a transcode back to prores.

FCPX can edit h264 natively, but again, you need to have a super powerful computer to do so in HD. however, FCPX does allow you to create a proxy version which will be 1/4 resolution and in prores proxy. I've done this in the past and it works fine; you just need to remember to switch back to your native format before final export.

If you set things up correctly, I think editing in HD is not too much harder than SD - as long as your computer can handle it and you are prepared for the authoring/delivery process. But it is critical not to try and take short cuts to reduce file sizes.

HD is not the be all and end all, and it seems to me that plenty of fan edits are still being created in SD. You also have to remember that SD can be viewed by a much wider audience than HD at this time.

Finally, and I know I said this before, you can always go back and re-release your edit in HD after it has been approved! Lots of people do this, including myself. Yes it sounds like needless extra work, but your firstling edit is almost certainly something you will end up wanting to redo, and if you release it in SD, you get the built in incentive to do so to upgrade it to HD! :)

Stygma Raptor said:
He made me a huge favour and ripped me a new one!

Actual literal laugh out loud ;)

But I agree, you should consider starting with SD.

I have been breaking my head to upload a high definition one. Dang it >_> should had kept the standard definition one, even if it looked a bit pixelized. I am going to see if I can restore the archive. I remember it not being bigger than 3GB or something, excellent for Vimeo.

Anyways, does anyone know how can I bring down the definition into a SD one? That would make it faster but if it cant be done then its ok.
Ill get it done very very soon. Thanks for all the support :D

BTW: whats the best format for streaming? Appleproress? Mp4? Or h264?

Back
Top Bottom