• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Exporting From Adobe Prem Pro CS4 Problem

Metrostar

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So, when I export to MPEG2-DVD from Adobe Premiere Pro CS4, I get these jagged edges around curved objects. I can't figure out how to stop that happening. I've spent weeks googling for answers and trying different export settings and the jagged edges will not stop happening. Is it my computer? Is it codecs? Is it the files I am putting in?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/3/jaggedw.jpg/ = Shoulders, railing, typewriter...

Please help...

Frame rate off possibly? TMBTM can weigh in as he used PP, but from what he's said, PP tends to change the frame rate slightly and you have to go and change it back manually.

What format is the video file you're editing? Are you encoding using Adobe Encoder (comes with Premiere)? What is the frame rate of your edit? What is the frame rate of the export? Can you post a snapshot of your export settings?

I never export from Premiere Pro directly in mpeg2 but what bugs me in your description is: "mpeg2-DVD".
Could not you just export to "mpeg2"?
What exactly is mpeg2-DVD anyway? A mpeg2 in 29,97 fps maybe? In this case maybe the convertion from your (I suppose) 23,976 fps project into 29,97 fps can cause problem when done by Premiere Pro.

TMBTM said:
I never export from Premiere Pro directly in mpeg2 but what bugs me in your description is: "mpeg2-DVD".
Could not you just export to "mpeg2"?
What exactly is mpeg2-DVD anyway? A mpeg2 in 29,97 fps maybe? In this case maybe the convertion from your (I suppose) 23,976 fps project into 29,97 fps can cause problem when done by Premiere Pro.

MPEG2-DVD is an option in Adobe Encoder that conforms to the MPEG2 standard. But... you can set the frame rate to 23.976 manually instead of leaving it auto to 29.97, which I suspect Metrostar isn't doing. That's why I wanted to see his configuration. :)

I used VOB2MPG PRO, then VirtualDub to make a Lagarith AVI. I imported that into PP and edited away until it was time to export. Whatever I export as, the result is the same. Even another Lagarith AVI. I exported as MPEG-DVD because I was under the impression that I had to because the resultant .m2v file is what imports into DVD-Lab nicely. The original VOB files say the framerate is 29.97 in the player I used. I should double-check that with another tool.

It's all quite frustrating. Thanks for the help. :)

Well, I've never used VOB2MPG and I haven' edited in 29.97 in a LONG time, but I'm guessing that's where the problem is. 23.976 is basically a progressive resolution whereas 29.97 is interlaced. The jaggedness is probably a result of that. I'd suggest an experiment: try to recapture the footage using a pulldown to get the 23.976 frame rate. (tsMuXer might work for this to demux and get the video. Then use VirtualDub to go to Lagarith (make sure you manually set the frame rate instead of auto, even if auto shows 23.976.) Then do a short editing clip in Premiere and export it, configuring the frame rate in Encoder to 23.976 and see what happens. It should give you nice clean footage.

Did exactly as instructed. tsMuxer produced an .mpv file which opened in VirtualDub. The resultant Lagarith file was interlaced. Was that supposed to happen?

Imported the Lagarith into PP and exported to .mpg (.m2v). It was better. Much better. But there were still very small jagged edges.

I really think you are onto something with the framerate. I think that if I could produce a Lagarith file that isn't interlaced, that would solve the problem.

EDIT: Instead of changing the fps in tsMuxer, I just checked the Remove Pulldown and that created a file, that when pushed through VirtualDub, created a Lagarith file that wasn't interlaced. I'm happy with the quality.

Problem solved. Thanks guys. Much appreciated. :)

Back
Top Bottom