• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Exported a 1hr long avi file and its 17gb?

TM Productions

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I exported my fane edit from vegas as an avi file with the ntsc template and 6 audio channels. It came out as a 17 gb file so now I can't put it on DVD or anything. Any suggestions? Maybe change the template or settings when exporting?

Were you editing with a lagarith avi? You should probably be exporting as an MPEG if you're making a DVD

reave said:
Were you editing with a lagarith avi? You should probably be exporting as an MPEG if you're making a DVD

yes, I was working with a lagarith avi and 5.1 surround sound

Exporting as lagarith is advisable, so you can use HCenc rather than the built in MPEG-2 encoder. Use my guide. Always check the guides section. Most of these issues are covered somewhere.

Captain Khajiit said:
Exporting as lagarith is advisable, so you can use HCenc rather than the built in MPEG-2 encoder. Use my guide. Always check the guides section. Most of these issues are covered somewhere.

Thanks Captain, you've been soooooooo helpful!!

Captain Khajiit said:

I'm a little confused. How will this help me with exporting because this looks like its just effecting my original lagarith file I have already edited.

You rip a DVD in full, convert it to lagarith, edit it, export it back out as lagarith, and then convert it to MPEG-2 (DVD) format using HCenc. That's what he means ;)

Kal-El said:
You rip a DVD in full, convert it to lagarith, edit it, export it back out as lagarith, and then convert it to MPEG-2 (DVD) format using HCenc. That's what he means ;)

Oh my gosh. Thanks, I hope I dont sound like such an annoying noob :oops:

Yes. TM Productions, in your first post, you said this:

TM Productions said:
I exported my fane edit from vegas as an avi file with the ntsc template and 6 audio channels. It came out as a 17 gb file so now I can't put it on DVD or anything,

The guide shows you how to encode that file so that you can put it on a DVD. I am not sure why you are confused.

EDIT: I was typing while you made your above post. I see that you have understood now.

Captain Khajiit said:
The guide shows you how to encode that file so that you can put it on a DVD. I am not sure why you are confused.

Because I thought you were talking about the avi I had used to edit with for some reason, but now when I think about it that really doesnt make any sense lol. sorry. I followed your guide and its working perfectly, thanks again:)

Back
Top Bottom