• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Explain Difference Between INTERLACED & PROGRESSIVE?

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As a MAC user, I have followed Jorge's wonderful tutorial on how to use MPEG STREAMCLIP

http://www.fanedit.org/forums/showthread.php?3134-Interlaced-v.-Deinterlaced-for-editing-(Mac)

One of things according to the tutorial you must alway do, is change from INTERLACE to PROGRESSIVE.

I recently got some new software, and I noticed also in the Compression Settings it has a choice between Interlaced and Progressive.

So it got me finally wondering, what specificly do these different settings mean?
I know these are some of the most fundmental aspects for the foundation of editing, but I must admit I have been sadly ignorant as to what it means or does.

So while I open up myself to ridicule,
would someone to care to enlighten me?

What is the exact definition of INTERLACED and PROGRESSIVE in terms of editing?

Is Progressive better than Interlaced?

Why do we choose PROGRESSIVE in MPEG Streamclip and not Interlaced?

Is there ever a time when you would choose INTERLACED?

My cup is empty,
please fill me with your knowledge.:)

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Simply put, interlaced consist of two fields... an upper and lower. Each field contains half an image and are a frame out of sync. This creates a full image. That's why you see the strange frame rate of 23.976 or 29.97. Progressive is a full image per frame, not half.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So if I am understanding this right, and please correct me if I am wrong (as I often am when it comes to these things....)
the main reason we choose to convert in MPEG to Progressive is because most viewing screen (TV or computers) are progressive scan
and to eliminate "twittering" during action scenes.

Is there a benefit to Interlace? Since most software comes with the option of both?

Is there a negative side effect when converting an Interlaced Movie to Progressive?

Are there instances in Fan Editing when it would be preferable to have the edit be Interlaced?

hhhmmmm.... answer one question, create more questions.... I may need a bigger cup!;-)

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
So if I am understanding this right, and please correct me if I am wrong (the main reason we choose to convert in MPEG to Progressive is because most viewing screen (TV or computers) are progressive scan and to eliminate "twittering" during action scenes.

Not really. All TVs used to be interlaced. In fact, interlacing has its origins in the days of analogue TV. It's better to edit progressive material because the fields can cause problems when making precise edits. There is also the fact that many encoders don't do as well with interlaced material, and encoding fields if you don't have to is a waste of bitrate because you are effectively encoding more frames than you need to.

Is there a negative side effect when converting an Interlaced Movie to Progressive?

A negative side effect might be that deinterlacing might leave artifacts or your deinterlacing might not be fully successful. It is usually worth deinterlacing if you can.

Is there a benefit to Interlace? Since most software comes with the option of both?

In basic terms, if you make an NTSC DVD, you need to apply pulldown flags so that the DVD can be played back and displayed on an older set. DVDs have to make provision for interlaced playback because they wouldn't be in spec if they didn't. The DVD spec was created with compatibilty with analogue TV in mind.

Top Bottom