• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

EXORCIST II : THE HERETIC Special Edition Blu-Ray

dr.sapirstein

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

[FONT=&amp]EXORCIST II : THE HERETIC, SPECIAL EDITION 2.0[/FONT]
119' Director's Cut | 103' Theatrical Cut | & bonus features
[
HD remasters | Full Blu-Ray | BD-50]
[FONT=&amp]
This new release of The Heretic features two different cuts of John Boorman's most disreputed film, reconstructed using true HD sources, and presented alongside almost 2 hours of bonus material.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp] ORIGINAL DIRECTOR'S CUT [HD 1080p][/FONT]
[FONT=&amp] This full-length, original director's cut was only shown in theaters for a couple of days when the film premiered, before being recut due to negative audience reaction. It was never released on VHS, LD or DVD or BD.
Runtime : 01:58:46
Video : AVC1 | 1920x1080 | 1.78:1 original A.R. | 23.97fps | 28.000 kb/s.
Audio 1 : English | original mono mix 1977 | LPCM 1.0 | 768 kb/s.
Audio 2 : English | remastered mono mix 2014 | LPCM 1.0 | 768 kb/s.
Audio 3 : English | new DTS 5.1 mix 2014 | LPCM 5.1 | 1.536 mb/s.
Subtitles : English, French.

THEATRICAL CUT [HD 1080p][/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]This version runs 15 minutes shorter than the original director's cut. It was recut by John Boorman the day after the premiere of the film, and was released in theaters worldwide, then on VHS. This was the only version of The Heretic available for more than 15 years. It then completely vanished when the film was released in a different cut, first on the VHS re-edition in 1993, then on DVD in 2002. Although this rare theatrical cut misses many scenes, it also features some additional footage exclusive to this version. Some scenes are ordered differently. It includes an added flashback scene, stock footage of Regan as the demon, extra gore, and a different ending. Some of the music and sound effects are also noticably different.
Runtime : 01:43:05
Video : AVC1 | 1920x1080 | 1.85:1 original A.R. | 23.97fps | 28.000 kb/s.
Audio 1 : English | original mono mix 1977 | LPCM 1.0 | 768 kb/s.
Audio 2 : French | original dub 1977 | LPCM 1.0 | 768 kb/s.

BONUS FEATURES [HD 1080p][/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]A revealing 25min. interview with John Boorman [1991].
Rare interview with Linda Blair on the set of The Heretic [1976].
The original French video press kit [1977].
The Heretic by Eli Roth on Trailers From Hell [2014].
Linda Blair talks The Heretic in "Intimate Portrait" [2001].
William Friedkin shares his views on The Heretic [2013].
Linda Blair webcast : The Heretic and the Exorcist saga [2013].
Original Teaser 1976.
Original Trailer 1977.
Audio commentary by Movie-Bonfire.
Photo gallery with more than 250 rare promo shots.
Trailers : the other films of the Exorcist saga.
Notes about the film's different versions & cuts.
Essay about the film's production [2012].
Music video "Linda Blair" by Tanya Markova [SD].
Animated menus, easter egg and BD-rom extras.
Bonus features runtime: 01:48:56

BD-ROM EXTRAS [multimedia][/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]The complete motion picture OST by Ennio Morricone [24-bit 96kHz] [audio]
The City Of Prague Philharmonic performs "Regan's Theme" in 1996 [audio]
Cinema Misfits reviews "The Heretic" [audio]
New 2014 HQ poster [pdf]
New printable Bluray covers [pdf]
Weblinks.

BLU-RAY SPECS
Format : BD-50 | BDMV
Blu-ray size : 49.1 Gb[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]"I liked the first Exorcist, but The Heretic surpasses it. Maybe Boorman failed to execute the material, but the movie still deserved much better than it got." - Martin Scorsese [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]

TM Productions

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've always liked Exorcist II. I'm excited to see the directors cut and watch it on blu-ray since it will probably never get an official blu-ray release, or at least not a very good one.

TM Productions

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
But be patient, I've currently been downloading for 4 days and it's not done yet. But it is a full BD-50 so I kind of expected that.

cashiers

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I can't wait to see this. I talked to the writer of a Boorman bio and he was really talking up E2.

cashiers

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is there a good thread somewhere about burning/converting these kinds of files? I've never seen such things. Trying to be vague.

billyboy2010

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't have a blu-ray burner, so would anyone be willing to make a copy of this for me? I would be happy to trade for it. Please PM me if you can help.

Marshman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm now pretty sure it is impossible to get this on to a blu-ray disc. The standard capacity of a BD50 disc is 46.6GB and this "special edition disc" is 49GB. I've tried different brands of disc just to be sure there isn't variation but it appears nothing will take a BDMV folder of this size.

Marshman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I didn't have the time or inclination to start remuxing and rebuilding this disc to make it standard size so found an easier fix if anyone is interested in getting this on to a blu-ray disc.

Load up the BDMV and CERTIFICATE folders to your burn list, then go into BDMV and then into STREAM and delete file 0002.m2ts from the list. This file is the photo gallery, losing it brings the total size down to a burnable level. The photos are very small and low-res anyway, and play in a little frame in the centre of the screen. The whole 20 minute segment is also accompanied by two irritating American voices yakking the whole time, don't know who they were because I couldn't listen to more than a few seconds at a time! Losing this item is no problem for me because I doubt I would ever have watched it anyway.

So with that file excluded, the disc burns fine. I watched the movie to make sure the disc structure wasn't screwed up in some way by the deletion and it played without any problem. Obviously if you select "Photo Gallery" from the menu nothing plays, it just stays on the menu.

The menu would be my main criticism of this project [apart from not making it the standard BD size of course!]. Each item is presented separately on a sort of carousel and every time you move to the next item the menu background video stops and restarts, meaning it is impossible to quickly skip through items. Every step means a wait of a few seconds while the menu reloads, it is infuriating.

The movie is the main thing though, and it looks fine. I've previously seen the restoration of The Exorcist which was ok but a bit blocky and only 720p. Exorcist II doesn't have those issues. The movie itself is not good of course, but no amount of restoration is going to change that! ;-)

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
American voices for the win.

Toonloon

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Amazing work Dr Sapirstein. Thank you. I especially liked the Billy Friedkin, "the guys responsible for this movie are in this room!" clip.

Neosmith

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I realize this is an old thread - but I'm very curious about this project. From everything I've seen, this is near-Industry level work, complete with a Bluray menu, numerous audio-video options and bonus materials.

But I wonder - how does the presence of bonus materials here fit the 'own the source' policy exactly? I mean, these elements are not part of the Preservation edit itself - and I assume they haven't been re-edited in any way, shape or form, though I assume they were altered. Also, what sources did Dr. Sapirstein use in the (re)construction of the two cuts? Especially, as the Director's Cut "never released on VHS, LD or DVD or BD"? Are there extensive notes available detailing the differences?

Top Bottom