• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

EVENT HORIZON: SLASHED aka KILLER HORIZON

If you have watched this fanedit, please rate it here:

• 10 stars (awesome)

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • 9 stars

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • 8 stars

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • 7 stars

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6 stars (average)

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • 5 stars

• 4 stars

• 3 stars

• 2 stars

• 1 star (atrocious)

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.
Lest We Forget!.....and I do prefer it on top!

TopOfThePops.jpg

55.jpg

That's weird, I get a different readout when I visit the main page:

piczm1.jpg

Also, I'd just like to point out that here in Australia it is 3am, October 31st...and I am on post 666.

Oooooh!

hahahaha... not too bad.... good one :)

A Comment by Uncanny Antman October 31st 2008

An interesting documentary about Pazuzu's interest in space exploration.

Enjoyed this edit muchly. A few rough edges, but nothing to get too worked up about. (One spelling mistake and a few continuity gaffs.)

I love the approach of the new ending. Amazing how easily an early sequence becomes chilling when moved to the climax.

If you enjoyed the original Event Horizon, check this one out. If you didn't care for it, you should still check this one out.

Well Gee, Thanks Uncanny Antman for the insightful comments and knocking this "rough edged" FanEdit off the perfect list. As it was going to be kicked sooner or later who better than by you? Yes, making a new ending by simply moving the beginning to the end is a good tactic, I recommend it! A shame about the "continuity gaffs" but I did check the part you mentioned and could not see one. Thanks for the comment and I am glad you enjoyed it.

Mollo said:
Well Gee, Thanks Uncanny Antman for the insightful comments and knocking this "rough edged" FanEdit off the perfect list. As it was going to be kicked sooner or later who better than by you? .
Awwww... too bad.
I sooo wanted to be me. :p
i guess I'm just gonna have to wait for your next "rough edged" FanEdit. :lol:

Mollo said:
Well Gee, Thanks Uncanny Antman for the insightful comments and knocking this "rough edged" FanEdit off the perfect list.
I can't tell if you're joking or if you're actually mad, but I can tell you it wasn't "knocked off" by me. When I posted my comment and voted, someone had already knocked it down a single notch. Y'all can get Boon to verify that if you really want.

That said, if it weren't for the other vote it would have been me, as I did vote four stars. Which I did with no malice whatsoever.

No Uncanny I am kidding, it was already knocked off! ;)

Man, you are the master! Total respect and admiration! I mean it really.

Update: This is a DL DVD but the bit-rate of the feature is better and all the extra features are included.

Double-Layer DVD Features: Menu & Scene Selection, Extras - "Slashed" Deleted scenes, "Evil Sound" Audio design short, Deleted Alt ending, 4 Trailers, Sideshows and Info - Aspect Ratio 2.35:1- NTSC - 6.9GB

RapidShare - Killer Horizon - Double-Layer NTSC DVD - 6.9 GB

Ok, here is my review of this fanedit.
Now as a way of setting this up I must mention that I do know Nick Mollo, he is famous for starting the "Consecution" series.
Also I don't hold any hatred or animosity towards him. Although he does get awfully defensive if you don't love his work.
Sometimes I have been accused of being unduly harsh and insensitive.
But that is not my intention, I just call it like I see it.
So Mollo if you are ready for this read on...

KILLER HORIZON
Just finished watching it.
EVENT HORIZON is a film that I had also considered fanediting.
But after watching it again I decided against it.
And now I am glad i did because the pleasure went to Mollo who took it and ran with it.
I watched the NTSC dvd.
It comes with nice motion menus.
A little hard to navigate. I can't seem to be able to go side to side but must press down to go right. weird.
As usual the PLAY button is MIA. a familiar Mollo touch.
On with the show!

VIDEO
Pristine quality. No flash frames or awkward edits.

AUDIO
Crisp, sharp. loud.

STORY/ENTERTAINMENT
Oh yeah, now we're talking.
This is a fine piece of fanediting. I appreciate the care and effort involved.
I did not bother re-watching the original. I just remembered that it was tedious and silly.
This version is not. Mollo has tightened up the story and added his own visual/sound effects to create the version that might have been.
The biggest compliment I can pay this faneditor is that I was able to lose myself in the story and forget that it was a fanedit.
Well done.

On a technical level Audio and Video are impeccable.

On the editing level, it is seamless.

On a story editing/entertainment level, I enjoyed the movie.

For me this film became KILLER FANEDIT

On my street-wise rating system I give this film a

GREEN LIGHT: Go and Enjoy.
r196707748817mx0.jpg

Event Horizon was cool idea- kind of an attempt to mix elements of 2001, The Shining, and Alien - with a dash of The Philadelphia Experiment thrown in. It has a lot of positives, solid production design & visual effects and a mostly talented cast. Unfortunately, the rest of it -dialogue, characters, story- never really comes together. It borrows from other films, but doesn't deliver anything new of it's own. It has a few OK moments, but also has a lot of "huh?"- corny lines, confusing plot points, etc. From my point of view, it is pretty deeply flawed in a lot of ways. So, plenty of opportunity for a creative faneditor to apply his skills. Enter Mollo.

I have seen a few of Mollo's edits now and can fairly say I believe his skills improve with each new edit- of course, technically he has always been way above average in the video and audio departments. So far this ranks as the best edit of his I have seen overall, both creatively and technically. Mollo strives for perfect with each edit- you know you are always getting his best effort. He also seems to like coloring outside the lines, always thinking of alternate routes form point A to B and isn't afraid to take risks to get there. The more his skills improve, the more this approach is paying off. I think the guy may well create a perfect fanedit one day. Killer Horizon is certainly a step in that direction for him.

As I said, this is his finest work, for me, so far. Firstly, the video quality is top rate. And the titles are expertly done, and mesh perfectly with the new opening music. I was particularly impressed with the insertion of footage from other films, which is by now sort of a Mollo trademark. Here I found it his most seamless use of this technique by far. Really imaginative and assured, very smartly done. They give the film much needed jolts of energy. Especially good is Justin being "tempted" (although it might have been nice to hear a female voice seductively calling his name before he puts his hand in). Audio-wise, the work here is fantastic, really impressive. From the new soundtrack to the new little bits of sound design here it was a magnificent job. One thing I would have left out: The "I am Lucifer" dialogue near the end. It sort of made the evil more "Earthbound" in a sense, less universal. Plus I recognized it straight off. But this is more of a storytelling quibble, for technique my hat goes off to you. Flawless.

While Mollo has given it much more direction and life I still did not find it to be too great of a movie in terms of character and narrative flow. And I found myself not really caring to much about the characters- they didn't seem to have any real relationship with each other and some were just not that strong anyway. Plus, I never got the sense of location or proximity. I wasn't sure where some things were taking place, or how far characters were from each other at various times. Plus, some of the side characters didn't seem to be affected at all by the mysterious goings on, so overall there was not an all-encompassing atmosphere of claustrophobic fear. The danger level is not really felt all the time. But, most of this is due to the problematic source material. The crew just does not seem all that smart or together to begin with, and there are some questionable logical and motivational choices made throughout. And frankly Sam Neill for me is never a very interesting actor. Here is no exception; he just doesn't seem to have it in him to give the sort of slowly unhinging madman performance that I think the role required.

While it still sports a few logical gaps and some weak characters and dialogue, Mollo has done much to improve the original. By adding a more sinister tone through the intelligent use of new visuals and enhancements to the sound design/soundtrack (as well as cutting out some "huh?" stuff) Mollo effectively makes it a better watching experience. However, for me, the result is now simply an average sci-fi movie instead of a rather bad and boring one.

Video/Audio: An enthusiastic 5
Editing: 5
Entertainment/Story: 2.5

Overall: 4
Again, Mollo delivers a product that is superior to the original.

Thank you for the review JMB. Very well put and I especially agree with the Character development points.

Just wanted to let everyone know there is a pretty good review of this fan edit on the Genrefinity Podcast. Direct link here.

Back
Top Bottom