• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Escape from New York: extended

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
FILM NAME: ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK

NEW FILM NAME: ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK EXTENDED

DATE FILM WAS RELEASED: 1981

PURPOSE OF EDIT: to add back in the one deleted scene that occurs

with Snake at the very beginning

ORIGINAL RUN TIME: 99 mins

NEW RUN TIME: 106 mins

Amount of time Cut/Added: 7 mins added

CUTS REMOVED/ADDED/EXTENDED:

1. Restored Snake's bank robbery scene

2. did not use the deleted scenes opening credits montage, used the original films instead

DVD FEATURES:

Static menu, 16x9, ntsc

CONCEPTION OVER ORIGINAL:

makes the film longer and gives you more footage. This is one film where more is better

Maybe downloadable from Fanedit.info

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
one scene is not much, but it gives me a good chance to watch the movie again. The DVD has some serious dust on it, which it actually never deserved.

stomachworm

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
boon23 said:
one scene is not much, but it gives me a good chance to watch the movie again.

But that one scene at 7 minutes is longer than the first Austin Powers Extended ADM version. :smile: I can't wait to get out of work and start d/l this. I get to watch more Snake tonight, WOOHOO!!! Thanks Tranzor.

rijir

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Did you add the music for the deleted scene?

TeresofBlood

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What about the horrendous quality on that scene? I haven't watched it in a while, but I remember it being terribly worn and dirty.

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
the scene already had full background music in it so I left it as is.
Not much I can do with fixing it up but I did slightly raise the saturation level. I then noticed the actual dvd transfer for the film. Unless the original elements are not that good anymore, the SE dvd does not really look that great. It looks more as if they used the already made laserdisc transfer for the current dvd

TeresofBlood

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Perhaps you are correct. Hopefully they totally remaster it for blu-ray. It is movies like that that I look forward to owning in the new format.

Ziz

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It'd be convenient to see the one scene put back to the beginning of the film, but it wouldn't really accomplish much. If you listen to the commentary, Carpenter said he cut it because it toned Snake down too much, made him soft to show that he cared about his friend, so when you see Snake in the rest of the film, you wonder why he's being such a hard-ass. As the film stands, Snake's personality is consistent thru the film.

Now, Escape from L.A....that could use some trimming. It got real campy at times.

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Very nice! Any sort of a cover for this?

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
nope, no cover work for it.

"It'd be convenient to see the one scene put back to the beginning of the film, but it wouldn't really accomplish much "

that is why I mentioned more is better. Does not do much of anything to the overall film but give you more footage. I would love more footage from this film in addition to the one scene they did give us. In way it was true to Snake's nature. He was softer with those he did care about and more of a hard ass with the ones he did not. However in my view it always seemed more of a "macho" act. Perhaps it was the way Russell acted in the film, but through the facade you can tell that Snake was character who did care about himself and those around him

stamper

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Excellent, did you integrate the deleted scene as a pre-credit, or after like it appears in the bonuses ? I think it doesn't work after the credits, because being presented the prison, we assume the first scene happens in the prison, but the deleted scene does not. It would work better as a pre-credit Bond style.

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
i put the scene in where it went originally, after the opening montage of credits where you are told what happens to Manhattan Island. It went in the exact same spot it would have went if it was kept in the film

"because being presented the prison, we assume the first scene happens in the prison,"

not really, the deleted scene shows snake gettng caught in San francisco.. It is then showing him in the nY prison which he was obviouly transported to afterwards

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have created cover art for this one:
cover_by_boon23_preview.jpg

I hope you like it.

stamper

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Looks cool ! The reason they cut this scene out is actually that it didn't make sense right after the credits. We are exposed to the credits, then the recap about the island which is now a prison. We automatically assume then that the first scene takes place in the prison. As shown in the deleted scenes, (it's a VHS rip probably), it doesn't work, and as Carpenter have said numerous time, the audience in the previews didn't get it. We think he is in NY, when he is actually some other place which is not a prison. This should be put in a fan edit as a pre-credit sequence I think. Perhaps it will be another edit :smile:

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
firstly, Boon your cover art is splendid and naturally I burn my own backup off my pc and delete the files only to have excellent cover work made afterwards. I am archivng the covers regardless. Thank you once again for making beautiful cover art for one of my edits

Hey Stamper,
not to argue with you but I always fully understood the scene. The train tells you "san francisco". It also is mentioned when Snake is intergated later that the crime took place elsewhere in the US. No offense to those who do not get it, but it might mean they were not fully listening. Either way glad you enjoyed what I did.--

Adabisi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Review posted at IFDB:

I missed this on the first go around back in 2008 and when it resurfaced this year, I was beyond happy. Sure, the A/V quality can't hold up today's standards but this this an all-time classic extended edition. Simple in concept, perfect in execution.

Top Bottom