• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Ep. 1: The Silent Menace

lukeburrage

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DVD%20Mockup%2020120923%20600.jpg

Brief Synopsis:
The Silent Menace is The Phantom Menace completely re-imagined and re-written based entirely on the visuals and John Williams score. All dialogue is removed and replaced with subtitles, allowing for a new script, many new story elements, new character development (including backstories for major characters), and new relationships between the characters. Cutting and reordering footage allows for more logical and connected action sequences. The soundtrack is replaced by the John Williams score from The Phantom Menace, plus individual tracks from other Star Wars movies.

Opening action:

Intention:

When watching a foreign movie without subtitles the viewer must re-invent the characters and story in their own imagination. By applying this exercise to The Phantom Menace, I realized I had something in mind far more entertaining than George Lucas's original script. It also fit far better with the themes, relationships and continuity of the Original Trilogy.

Here's the IFDb listing:
http://www.fanedit.org/ifdb/compone...fix/914-star-wars-episode-i-the-silent-menace

BladeRunner391

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Congratulations Luke! This is one of the best fanedits ever made in my opinion, and I am very much looking forward to the other two! :)

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
congrats on finishing, skywalker!

naxa

Reaction score
Trophy Points
BladeRunner391 said:
Congratulations Luke! This is one of the best fanedits ever made in my opinion, and I am very much looking forward to the other two! :)

I second that. This work is an increadible step on this movie. It fixes everything while keeping things intact at the same time and removes all annoyances in a such clever way that in the same time it creates a story with reasons, emotions, logic and context... ah! I can watch ep1 again! And thank you for the actual relationship between, well, everyone! (But I had the queen and Anakin in mind.)

I'm glad to hear there are other two!
In my opinion they will be harder to fix, because I'm on the controversial opinion that Ep1 is the best since it has the best visuals and music (and best acting if you ask me). Ep1 was made for love.
Ep2-3 are not so much movies, they are like attempts to fix things that fans think they are but are actually not wrong with Ep1, while keeping poor Mr. Creator making not-so-good choices in the director and writer chair, bloated by attempts to address everyone's alleged issues with Ep1. That's why I think Ep1 is made with love, it's everywhere, it's just failed because of the script - but Ep2 and Ep3 are more seriously flawed in my opinion, because they try to address the random things everyone said, while not addressing the problem that, well, may be cruel, but many part of the whole prequel script never had any sense from the beginning to begin with - or it just didn't come through (albeit the social parallel is quite clear). (Sorry, Mr. Creator! I still like Ep1, if that adds anything. You did what you could.)

That said, good luck! :D

lukeburrage

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
naxa said:
I second that. This work is an increadible step on this movie. It fixes everything while keeping things intact at the same time and removes all annoyances in a such clever way that in the same time it creates a story with reasons, emotions, logic and context... ah! I can watch ep1 again! And thank you for the actual relationship between, well, everyone! (But I had the queen and Anakin in mind.)

I'm glad to hear there are other two!

Thanks for the kind words, Naxa. Also thanks for the IFDb review and and the many PM's. I don't have time right now to reply to every point, of course, as you brought up a lot of interesting stuff.

As for the "other two", the approach is slightly different with those. In Ep. I there is loads of random shit going on, and I could include those elements and mix it up with the main story to make new and interesting connections. In II and III, the random shit is in the background. That means that instead of inventing whole new science fiction/fantasy concepts and re-editing action sequences, it feels way more like just doing a normal cut-the-worst-material fan edit technique, with the added benefit of being able to re-write the script too.

And, as I've already done loads of work on the edits, it feels like work! Just like you're saying about Lucas, my Silent Menace project was a work of movie making love, because I love movies and this was my chance to sculpt my own work.

When rewriting episodes II and III, it felt more like an academic exercise. Objective: make Silent Menace link up with A New Hope, and break continuity less than George Lucas did with his originals. It's interesting, but I'm not into it as much as The Silent Menace. I'll still complete them, I'm sure, but first I'll probably do a more traditional fan edit of a non-Star Wars movie. I'm considering messing about with the structure of Cabin in the Woods.

gorgeousjohnson

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bravo!!!!

Luke, preview looks phenomenal. I'm new to the universe of fanedits but it's the promise of works like the Silent Menace that have me already hooked.

In particular I'm obsessed with Star Wars prequel fanedits. I just can't ever get over how impossibly atrocious the Lucas work is on these movies. It becomes all the more evident with all the simple but creatively effective fixes faneditors such as yourself implement.

Love the conversation of critical insights on II and III vs. I. Yet again I have to watch a prequel trilogy that I despise in order puzzle out further perplexities.

seciors

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey Luke, just wanted to let you know that after some reflection, and also after watching/reviewing some other edits of Episode I, I updated my review on IFDB (in an upward direction) for audio editing and narrative. As your edit was my first review, I hope you can forgive the "training wheels" I had while working on it.

First, I think the audio truly does deserve a 10 given how much work that went into it, and how well integrated it felt in almost all cases. Any small problems were greatly outweighed by the numerous other areas where you did some fantastic audio work!

I also increased my narrative score from a 7 to an 8, as even though I had some issues with your narrative (noted in the review), in the end, I feel your edit deserves the higher score due to the originality of some of the new plot ideas you brought to the edit (again, this is noted in the review).

Finally, this changed the overall score to be an 8, which is what I was hoping it to be in the first place (it is auto-calculated, so one can't completely control that part.)

Again, very nice job on your first edit! :)

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This edit is now available on Megashares via info.

theforce

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Are there any transcripts available for reading it like a book or script?

Top Bottom