• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Encoding final project - need help . . . please

FreeTime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi,

New guy here. I have been teaching myself how to "fan edit" and believe I am stuck and humbly request help.:-(

I have created my first fanedit and have the project exactly where I want it to be, but I am confused/stuck :| on the final step . . . exporting/encoding/converting my project to a viewable video file.

Project details/procedures:
I created my fanedit using Adobe Premiere Pro CS 5.5.2. [aka PP] as my main editor (see below for other programs I used)

Because my source file is only available as a DVD [no HD versions yet avail out there], I ripped the dvd to my hdd.

used pgcdemux to demux it to a separate m2v and .ac3.

used virtualdub (64-bit version) to "convert" the m2v to an avi (using Lagarath as the codec)

did all my editing/work within Premiere Pro CS5.5, Photoshop CS6, Sony Sound Forge 10 Pro, After Effects CS6, Illustrator CS.6 and Blender 2.76.

My "final"/complete project is a Premiere Pro project.

Here's my confusion/question:
When I go to "convert" (it's called "export" in PP) my project via PP, no matter what file type I use/settings I use, the final video ends up being "jittery/choppy/stuttery" when things are moving in the video (i.e. people, objects, the "camera", etc).

The actual quality of the video is excellent.

In PP you can directly export/convert from within the program; or close PP completely and open Adobe Media Encoder (CS6.2) and encode that way---there are no differences in options/settings/choices between the two methods.

I've viewed my various "exports" using VLC, jRiver Media 21, Zoom Player Max, PowerDVD15 Ultra, MPC-HC and they all look like @#!$$%^#.

File types I have tried: H.264, mp4, Microsoft AVI, mpeg2, mpeg2-DVD, uncompressed AVI. There are others, but haven't tried them---mostly because they are file types I'd never used and/or heard of--prob commercial stuff.

I also used an old program called "G-Spot" to verify that all my codecs are valid/up-to-date/installed/functioning etc.

What am I doing wrong? missing? not understanding? not using? :-(

Is there some other encoder I should be using? Should I be saving my project as one of the video formats I listed above, at the highest possible setting, and then use some other program for a final convert/encode?:cry:

PLEASE, PLEASE, please help. I've put a great deal of my free time into teaching myself all this and coming up with an edit and I am soooo frustrated to be at the final step and not "getting it" - i.e. what I am doing wrong or not properly doing at all. :cry::-o:-|

Thank you in advance.

FreeTime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here's the stats of the computer I am using:

Windows 8.1 (64bit)
Nvidia GeForce GTX980
32gb system ram
4 Ghz cpu (unclocked)

256gb ssd (os resides here)

3tb 7200, 6gb/s, 128mb cache (caviar black western digital)

2tb 7200, 6gb/s, 128 mb cache (caviar black western digital)

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
please report the information (framerate, etc.) of your input file (the AVI you got from vdub), your project settings in Premiere, and your render settings from Premiere. It sounds like you have a framerate conflict.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah it must be a framerate problem, answer all the above questions from ThrowgnCpr and we can help. Plus: Your source is a DVD right. NTSC or PAL?

FreeTime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The source file:
US NTSC DVD
vdub file type: avi
image size: 720x480
frame rate: 29.97
average data rate: 4.2 mb/ second
pixel aspect ratio: 0.9091

Premiere project settings:
Editing Mode: DV NTSC
timebase: 29.97 fps
frame size: 720 hor. 480 vert.
pixel aspect ratio: D1/DV NTSC (0.9091)
Fields: Lower Field First
display format: 30fps drop-frame timecode
sample rate : 48000 HZ

an example of the "typical" render settings I have tried:
Format: mpeg2
preset: custom
Filters: none used
Multiplexer settings:
Multiplexing: mpeg2
bitrate/buffering details: variable
packet info: 2,048 bytes, packets 1, video buffer 0kb, audio buffer 4kb​
Video settings
codec: main concept
quality 5 (that's the max setting)
tv standard: ntsc
frame width/height: 720x480
frame rate: 29.97
field order: lower
pixel aspect ratio: standard 4:3 (0.909)
Profile and Level: both Main
Bit encoding: vbr, 2 pass with 2.5mbs as min, target as 4.2mbs and max as 6mbs
GOP settings: m frames 3 and n frames 15
All "Advanced"settings under the Video tab are set to default
Miscellaneous settings:
Use Maximum Render Quality
Render at Maximum Depth​

Thanks for taking the time to look this over.:)

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points

FreeTime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you for the information! Greatly appreciated!

As I said to you privately, I made the "assumption" (N-N-N-nooooo-o-o-o-o! :oops:) that any and all NTSC source was 29.97. :|

I have gone back and re-read Boon's guide. I am planning on going back to my edit and vdub-ing a new source file and using it in my project. Then when ready, encoding it using the correct settings.

I am hopeful this may be the solution!

BTW, I don't encode to mpg, I just used it as an example of the rendering settings. I prefer mp4, avi, mkv etc.
In fact, I just upgraded to the newest/latest version of Media Encoder CC this morning. WOW, what a difference between my old version and the latest one!

If you think of any other possibilities, please don't hesitate to mention them to me.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
FreeTime said:
As I said to you privately, I made the "assumption" (N-N-N-nooooo-o-o-o-o! :oops:) that any and all NTSC source was 29.97. :|

It is nominally. RFF flags instruct players to convert 23.976fps material to 29.97fps on playback; modern progressive players can ignore those flags.

To be sure to remove the pulldown properly, it is best to make an index with DGIndex and then perform an inverse telecine with AviSynth. See the FAQ of my HCenc guide, and follow only those sections that relate to converting to 23.976fps before editing.

FreeTime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Success!
[part one]

This suggestion fixed the stuttery/jittery/choppy video issue immediately:

ThrowgnCpr said:
My guess is that you are forcing 29.97 on film footage (which is actually 23.976) . . . The first section of Boon's guide will help you prep your footage . . .

I did a fresh convert of my m2v file using DGPulldown, then created a new Lagarath avi using a deinterlace filter. Then I created a quick 1min "test" video of an area of my edit that has a lot of movement (both characters, objects, as well as camera movement etc.) . . .

The video is now stutter/jitter/choppy-free! My test video is BEEE-U-TI-FUL! Thank you! :)

*** After applying the excellent fix above, an audio/video sync issue manifested; it was out by approx. 1.5 secs ***

Please read the next few posts to see how the audio sync issue was quickly and easily resolved

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
FreeTime said:
The video problem is resolved, BUT now the audio of the file is waaaay out of sync.
I followed the steps in Boon's guide to the letter.

Using the exact same programs, settings etc . . . and now the vid and aud are out of sync.

Suggestions?

Do you mean the audio is out-of-sync on your new source file? Or in your timeline now you've imported your new source file?

FreeTime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Do you mean the audio is out-of-sync on your new source file? Or in your timeline now you've imported your new source file?

Both.

My new "source" lagarath AVI on its own the audio is out of sync; and if I take that file and put it on my timeline, same out-of-sync issue . . . about 1 second delay (audio is behind video).

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Stripping the pulldown with DGPulldown works only if your video is 100% soft-telecined, which is rarely the case; otherwise, a loss of sync results, as you have just discovered. Demuxing the DVD with PGCDemux and taking it into DGIndex is the correct procedure. You should also check to see if PGCDemux reports an A/V delay.

FreeTime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Captain Khajiit said:
. . . Demuxing the DVD with PGCDemux and taking it into DGIndex is the correct procedure. You should also check to see if PGCDemux reports an A/V delay.

pgcdemux did not report any delay. (even before i came, with computer in hand and head bowed low, begging for help, I knew to check this). :)

Having never use DGIndex, can you take me through some settings?

I've got it d/l'd and have looked through it, but am unsure of what settings/etc would be needed at this point.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The relevant section of the FAQ of the my HCenc guide has all the information that you need in respect of settings. If you follow the instructions there for making a sample and send it to me over PM, I'll have a look to see what sort of material you have.

FreeTime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Success!
[completely!]

This suggestion fixed the stuttery/jittery/choppy video issue immediately AND the audio remained in-sync:

Captain Khajiit said:
The relevant section of the FAQ of the my HCenc guide has all the information that you need in respect of settings . . .

Following Captain Khajiit's very easy to follow and well laid-out guides, I was able to solve my video issue and the audio remained in-sync.

It probably took me a bit longer than others to work through all the various steps (just about an hour or so), as I had to teach myself avisynth and avs scripts; and DGIndex and a few other minor things.

In all, great information that absolutely helped me! I, for one, thank Captain Khajiit for taking the time to produce his guide.

Thanks goes to ThrowgnCpr, Captain Khajiit and TM2YC for their help, comments and input . . . and especially their patience in helping a frustrated newbie such as myself . . . :biggrin:

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Glad you got it sorted! A lot of the technical stuff is tricky but props to you for not getting frustrated and taking your time to understand the guides, not just follow the steps blindly. It's easy to get frustrated with that stuff, especially when you're not sure what the problem is.

FreeTime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
thecuddlyninja said:
. . . props to you for not getting frustrated and taking your time to understand the guides, not just follow the steps blindly . . .

Thanks!

I am the kind of person that wants to understand and know how to do things. :)

I've zero background in video editing (I'm a managing VP and lead aerospace engineer in a fairly well-known engineering firm), so all this video stuff was all new to me six months ago when I watched my first fanedit.

Because of work, my wife and our daughter---I've very little free-time, so doing this [working on my own edit] takes me much longer than I'd like. :-(

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
FreeTime said:
Thanks!

I am the kind of person that wants to understand and know how to do things. :)

I've zero background in video editing (I'm a managing VP and lead aerospace engineer in a fairly well-known engineering firm), so all this video stuff was all new to me six months ago when I watched my first fanedit.

Because of work, my wife and our daughter---I've very little free-time, so doing this [working on my own edit] takes me much longer than I'd like. :-(

That's a great approach. Props to you and the women come first (I've a wife and two daughters so I get it)!

Also, wish I had known you IRL a couple years ago. I couldn't get an entry level defense engineering job a couple years ago despite a military background and a physics degree with honors from a good school. That's how I ended up being a PM in telecom. It all worked out for me, though I really miss math a lot. I do problems from my old textbooks sometimes for fun.

Anyway, I've thoroughly derailed this thread. Thanks for being a part of our cool little community. As you've seen, there are a ton of really knowledgeable, helpful people here. Cheers!

Top Bottom