• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Emerald City: An Oz Fanedit

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for watching the edit higgins. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

higgins said:
A great edit! Just two things I'd mention. The jump to the variety show seemed kinda abrupt, but I can't imagine what kind of filler or hint one could put before that anyway.

I just rewatched the part you are talking about. That is actually inherent to the show, that was not a cut/transition that i did myself. And, just my personal opinion, i honestly dont think it is abrupt. But obviously opinions can differ.

Second, I didn't quite get the point of the blue tinted flashback with the Beacher in the hole. Just seemed to repeat all the stuff that was shown barely a minute ago.
Lol, i actually agree with you. In the first season and the following seasons they used these sort of flashbacks quite a bit. This was obviously a function of it being a TV series and giving little recaps/refreshers of what happened in previous episodes. So I agree when it is condensed as it is in my edit it can appear repetitive. However, the reason I didn't cut out the flashback was because i thought it would be a difficult cut to do (for some reason i thought August Hill's narration was going on during the flashback). But i just rewatched, it would have been an easy cut to do. Oh well. Something to think about/remind myself of in future edits!

Thank you for the feedback. If its not too much trouble, would you mind copying and pasting this review to the fanedit.org page for this edit, and leaving a rating. It would be greatly appreciated!

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
higgins said:
Damn... made me want to make an edit focusing on Kareem Said... but he doesn't have as good as intro as Beacher does and I simply hated how his storyline ended.
Eamonn Walker was written out of Oz so he could film Tears of the Sun.

I say go for it! I'd watch it. I'm with you on how his storyline ended. I was considering maybe doing a sequel with season 2 where keller come into the picture but i probably won't.

Also, I asked Brumous the same thing:

Did you watch past the end credits for the "easter egg"?

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
For those awaiting the new avi links, it is currently listed under "O" as "Oz: Emerald City" hopefully that will get fixed and it will be listed under "E" as "Emerald City: An Oz Fanedit"

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
.info is currently being refined to help the browsing logic of the site. Because some have had difficulty in locating fanedits, the edits will be arranged alphabetically per their source title, so in this case, O for Oz. This should help people new to the site or simply not able to recall the fanedit title to find what they are looking for. It also allows all edits of a film to be grouped together for easy reference. For instance, When Malek's Man of Steel edit comes out, it will be grouped under Superman Returns, so that it is easily located with other Superman edits.

As far as the AVI, that is me being hounded irl. AVI links should be added to the .info listing asap.

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
L8wrtr said:
.info is currently being refined to help the browsing logic of the site. Because some have had difficulty in locating fanedits, the edits will be arranged alphabetically per their source title, so in this case, O for Oz. This should help people new to the site or simply not able to recall the fanedit title to find what they are looking for. It also allows all edits of a film to be grouped together for easy reference. For instance, When Malek's Man of Steel edit comes out, it will be grouped under Superman Returns, so that it is easily located with other Superman edits.

As far as the AVI, that is me being hounded irl. AVI links should be added to the .info listing asap.

Ahhhhh OK. That makes sense. Sorry for being a pest! You are clearly a patient guy :)

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
LOL.. no worries Gatos. I've been far too busy, and I also remember what it was like when I was in your shoes. :)

higgins

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gatos said:
I just rewatched the part you are talking about. That is actually inherent to the show, that was not a cut/transition that i did myself. And, just my personal opinion, i honestly dont think it is abrupt. But obviously opinions can differ.
Having re-watched the scene as well, perhaps you're right. Maybe I'm just saying this because I know the show and most big events are discussed via multiple viewpoints, so, I guess I was used to be aware of things before they happen.

Gatos said:
I say go for it! I'd watch it.
Haha, I probably won't though. Don't really know anything about the technical side of editing. Tried KDEnlive just once, but there are probably more advanced tools out there.

Gatos said:
Did you watch past the end credits for the "easter egg"?
Yea. The "introductory" scene for Robson :-D

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
UPDATE:

Just for anyone waiting on the new avi file, the new links should be up. However they don't show up on the main page, you have to go to the index (under "O" for Oz) and the dlc should be there.

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This edit is currently offline (previously had been hosted on megaupload :-(). I doubt there is much interest in this edit. But in case there are one or two people out there still interested I do plan on reupping this in the near future. I'm debating updating the edit slightly and putting out a Version 2 which will fix an stylistic "error" that higgins pointed out to me.

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'd like to eventually watch it. And, in any case, I don't think only "popular" fanedits should be listed or rescued. If it's any good, it will find an audience.

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dwight Fry said:
I'd like to eventually watch it. And, in any case, I don't think only "popular" fanedits should be listed or rescued. If it's any good, it will find an audience.
^ on both counts.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Take note.

The avi version of this edit is online again, via Mediafire and* Rapidshare. I only have the avi version. I don't know the current status of the SL DVD.

The avi is 698 MB.

The Mediafire files are double password protected. Normal fanedit.org passwords apply, read this for more info.

The Rapidshare files are not password protected.

I have test downloaded both versions I uploaded and both extracted perfectly fine for me. I use WinRar trial version I downloaded for free here. I downloaded them using JDownloader. In JDownloader I have JD Unrar disabled so I can unrar the files myself.

I plan on re-uploading to Usenet soon as well.

The DLCs should be on info soon, but until then send a PM to me if you want to watch it. EDIT: They are on info.

Enjoy this wonderful edit. :)

*MF account gone. Sorrry.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
And the avi is on usenet now as well. No parts missing. NZB has been submitted to info.

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks Neg!

I encourage you all out there to watch it (duh!). But especially a certain forum member whose name starts with an "A" and rhymes with "Badabisi". You know who you are!

Adabisi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gatos said:
I encourage you all out there to watch it (duh!). But especially a certain forum member whose name starts with an "A" and rhymes with "Badabisi". You know who you are!

I had thought about doing my own edit of season one for the longest time, but never got around to it. Then yours came out and blew me away - much better than I could have ever done. FWIW, you got my vote for FEOTY.

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Adabisi said:
I had thought about doing my own edit of season one for the longest time, but never got around to it. Then yours came out and blew me away - much better than I could have ever done. FWIW, you got my vote for FEOTY.

Nice!! Glad you enjoyed it :)

I know there was a stretch where you hadn't been around the forums much, but after I had made the edit, I thought to myself, "if anyone would appreciate this edit...or at the very least be interested in seeing it, it would be a guy who took his name from one of the characters on the show!"

But I'm glad you got to see it and I appreciate the high praise!

Adabisi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gatos said:
Nice!! Glad you enjoyed it :)

I know there was a stretch where you hadn't been around the forums much, but after I had made the edit, I thought to myself, "if anyone would appreciate this edit...or at the very least be interested in seeing it, it would be a guy who took his name from one of the characters on the show!"

But I'm glad you got to see it and I appreciate the high praise!

No problem. So when do you start working on Season 2? :)

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Adabisi said:
No problem. So when do you start working on Season 2? :)

I had considered doing an edit of season 2 but

Since Season 2 does not end with Beecher as the victor, I felt it would be kinda depressing to have the "sequel" end with the main character not on top

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This has probably already been posted somewhere in this thread, but couldn't resist after having watched this great edit of yours!

Awesome job. This is the best tv-to-movie adaptation I have seen on this site thus far. What I especially like about it is that it actually is a movie with a clear beginning, middle, & end that can be watched in one sitting, as opposed to most adaptations that are more like a mini-series or condensed version of a season with no clear beginning and/or ending.

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't know why it took me so long to watch this edit. It's magnificent, and hope it enjoys a new life now that it's up for the FEOTY awards. It's not an easy watch, though, but if you're familiar with the source material you already know that...

Top Bottom