• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Elf - Buddy's Big and Tall Edition

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
"I'm sorry I ruined your lives and crammed 11 cookies into the VCR"

A holiday favourite of mine, it's always fun to see what was cut out of films from your childhood.

The first act has a lot of pieces moved around in this edit compared to the theatrical, so you can see more of Buddy coming to terms with being a human, which is some great character stuff, sadly cut out to get the plot moving faster. Here's a rough comparison to the structure of the opening in the North Pole. I've recut it according to the shooting script. Italics are new or extended scenes.

Theatrical:

Buddy in school -> Papa shows Buddy the sleigh and asks him to be his tinkerer -> Buddy lags behind -> Buddy is put in toy testing -> Buddy overhears other Elves talking about him being human and passes out -> Buddy storms home -> Papa consoles Buddy and tells him the truth

Script:

Buddy in school -> Elf Hockey game -> Buddy struggles to fit in -> Buddy lags behind -> Buddy storms home -> Papa consoles Buddy -> Papa shows Buddy the sleigh and asks him to be his tinkerer -> Buddy is put in toy testing -> Buddy overhears other Elves talking about him being human and passes out -> Buddy wakes up at home and Papa tells him the truth

It honestly flows a lot nicer, and character wise makes more sense. We see Papa struggle to tell him, and Buddy struggle to accept the truth, something that is mostly delegated to narration from Papa in the final film. Also there's an Elf Hockey game in the mix for fun too! I shouldn't take the structure of this family Christmas film so seriously...

CHANGELIST:

- Added Buddy dominating the Elf Hockey game, and the post-game locker room banter
- Added scene with Buddy struggling to adapt to the Elf world
- Added Buddy storming home and Papa trying to console him after he was told he's not up to standard at work
- Moved Papa showing Buddy the sleigh to after here, now as an act of love trying to cheer him up
- Added Buddy waking up at home after passing out at work, and Papa telling him the truth about him being a human and not an elf
- Extended scene with Walter telling the Nun he'll be taking back the books due to missed payments
- Added Walter meeting Emily after she finishes work, to tell her he has another son
- Extended tuck-in with Buddy and Walter
- Extended fight with Miles Finch and Buddy

Theatrical - 01:36:37

Buddy's Big and Tall - 01:43:51

Added - 6:46

elf.png

Did you have to cut anything to make scene transitions work or is it just additions?

This is such a perfect edit for Christmas time :) when will it be available?

Wonderful! We’re already traveling for the holidays, but I’ll definitely grab this when we get back!

My sister is a huge fan of this movie and watches it every Christmas. I'm looking forward to watching the extended version with her this year!

This will be a nice addition to my Christmas watchings. Great work as always Bobson! Elf is one of my favorite Christmas movies, btw. So this one is special to me

DM OP for link have yet to hear back

Sometimes it can take a bit for editors to get back to messages with the links.

Add in the holidays and I can see why. You will hear back eventually though and I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

They have the link on TheFaneditNetwork. Is that place kosher? Do they just take the links without asking or...? I've found all of my edits on there and never personally submitted anything to them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom