• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Eleven

Mollo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ELEVENWallpaper.jpg

New Name :ELEVEN
Original Film : Capricorn One
Film Studio : Lew Grade AGF
Editing : Mollo
Original Film Release : 1978
FanEdit Release : April 2008
Original Runtime : 2 Hrs Approx
New Runtime - 1 Hrs 20 Minutes

Summary: ELEVEN: The Number of Missions. ELEVEN: The Number of Murders.

DVD Features: Menu & Scene Selection. Extras - Selected Commentary & Stills

Footage

Capricorn One
Stock Footage
The Right Stuff
Apollo 13

ELEVEN

Having edited my first FanEdit, Star Trek BUGS, on iMovie, I felt I needed a more advanced editing suite if I was to embark on a feature length project. The choice of software was easy; the selection of a project was not.

I watched Capricorn One again and was struck by the fact that such a great premise rapidly descended into a simple chase movie with all the usual Hollywood baloney thrown in. Unrealistic dialogue and endless monologues pepper the film. There is a scene where one astronaut climbs a cliff and recites a joke while he's doing it. The scene is just too painful to watch.

Apart from the speeches and corny dialogue, there are some really terrible performances. O.J. Simpson being a point in case.

So for this fan edit I have tried to construct a more insidious beginning. I have removed most of the appalling dialogue and the more ridiculous scenes. This means that Telly Savalas is no longer in the picture and Karen Black is left with only one line. Elliot Gould as the intrepid condescending reporter has also been trimmed and re-jigged to try and make the character a little more believable. I have also changed the ending.

What I hope I have done with this FanEdit is created a more exciting and conspiratorial version of the movie but I will let you be the judge of that.

Hello,

This FanEdit will be ready by the 8th.

Mollo

I'm intrigued. Sounds like an interesting project but just out of curiosity what was the software choice that you went with?

well... if his first was using "imovie" then he's got to be on a mac... and there's really only one choice for mac.... final cut pro.... i would assume that's what he meant....

ELEVENDVDCoverSmall.jpg

Hello,

I have posted a small Torrent Mp4 version for rapid viewing and also a Torrent of the Complete DVD.

DVD Torrent (rar files)

piratebay

Mp4 Torrent

piratebay

NOTE: I will not personally be uploading this to RapidShare because as a Mac user the only option is to upload the files individually which takes an incredible amount of time, not withstanding all the errors. I am not prepared to install any windows compatible programs as this has caused problems for my system in the past. Finally I will seed as much as I can but please be patient.

congratulations on finishing this.
I love Capricorn One, still I want to watch, what you did to it.

Thank You boon, I hope it won't take forever to download!

well, it actually does.
7% in almost 2 days... for a mere 3.45GB with 7 leechers. It looks like you should ask for help next time you want to seed a torrent. Or you should get a better connection. Are you just seeding this or doing other things as well?

Anyway... it's your way to seed it and I will try to wait patiently for it.

Hello,

The ELEVEN DVD (Pal) will play on a normal 4.3 Television and Wide screen TV correctly. No Black Bars will appear at the sides of the image but they will appear if played in QuickTime or in any other computer software player.

Thanks

checking through Piratebay it seems that you are seeding more than one torrent with you being the only seeder for each of these.
Sorry to say this, but this strategy is seriously annoying. Your torrents take an eternity and this is really not necessary. I really suggest going one-by-one. It is not like you are in a releasing hurry.
I know that I am not forced to download these, but please let me tell you that this will only result in less people taking interest in your works due to downloading issues. It happened before.
The torrent for ELEVEN is now 5 days old and few people are downloading it. From these 13 leechers most are at 57% now, which is really draggingly slow.

All I can say is that it will download faster than the hours I put into editing it.

VForVendettaWallpaper.jpg

Prologue:
In a comment on Nick Mollo's thread about his fanedit of "Capricorn One" I mentioned I was (and am) a huge fan of the original. In an email he asked me to write a review about his fanedit, which I hereby do. However, asking a fan of the original movie to write a review about a fanedited version (and in this case drastically fanedited) is quite courageous, because the review will probably be not a positive one. I have a huge respect for that. I for one always get afraid, when someone promises a review of one of my fanedits, who is a fan of the original movie. Unfortunately in this case my review also isn't all positive. Please bear with me that I love the original movie as it is, for its Hollywood style, for its mood and its pacing. I am fan since I was 13 or 14, when I watched it first in 1982 or 1983 and still am.

I tend to review a fanedit on its own, as if it was the original movie. Therefore I will not go too much into detail mentioning the original movie.

The review:
The title Eleven is based on the Apollo 11 mission, which might or may not be a fake. It's a great title choice. Capricorn One clearly is a fake. The fanedit starts off promising, generating a good atmosphere of suspicion, of suspense. I knew pretty early something was wrong about this attempt of a Mars landing. This worked really well as exactly what the faneditor wanted. But pretty soon things started to seem rushed and this feeling constantly remained for throughout watching the movie. The convincing of the astronauts to be part of the fake landing seemed unlikely to me, because of what was they said beforehand. The realization of the astronauts that they are about to get killed is just popping up for no reason, so they escape. And with the exception of James Brolyn none of the other astronauts get any kind of proper introduction, which makes them extremely flat as characters.
The flatness of the characters is a continuing problem of the entire fanedit. Elliot Gould, the journalist, was actually the leading actor of the movie, but in the fanedit he is an ignorable side character, who actually does not have any influence on the story, which is especially awkward, when he enters the hangar, where they shot the fake landing scene. There is no scene showing how he was able to find that place. The faneditor tries to imply that by a scene, in which Brubaker's wife shows him videos of a movie production in Flatrock, which she and her husband and son visited last summer. To me this was way not enough to find a top secret facility. And the journalist finding the hangar is also his last scene int he movie, which does not seem to have any impact on anything. The funeral does not get interrupted and the conspiracy is not revealed. The journalist's character in the fanedit is actually the thing that explains best, why this fanedit did not work for me. It all seems to happen by chance and mere luck, which irritates me more than making things interesting or thrilling.
The astonaut's plot works kind of well. I found that shot, when the one astronaut had climbed up the cliff and there is that long zoom towards the cliff to see the choppers confusing, it felt wrong. In the commentary the faneditor explained his motivation why he used the scene backwards, but it does not work well for me this way.
The death of Brubaker is another problem, because I did not see it. Of course there is no footage for that, but a reall movie would show it by all means. The hero deserves a proper death (if he dies). The ending is overall problematic for me, because of the huge number of fade-outs that kind of rip it apart. Brubaker in the cave, Brubaker in the storm, Burnaker shot, funeral preparations and so on. In the end I was not happy with the movie and especially not with the ending, because it seemed chopped.
However, the expertise of the sound work the faneditor created on Brubaker's escape from the gas station for example is outstanding.
So, as a movie itself, the fanedit works, but was still disappointing for me because of plot holes (timing, jumps, the journalist, character depth), resulting in a 2 of 5 rating for entertainment.
Editing execution was pretty good: the faneditor took care to avoid hard cuts and made some terrific and well working scene to scene edits. There are too many fade outs in the end. This results in a 4 of 5 rating for editing.
The audio came as PCM and was edited extremely well. A lot of work went into this. Unfortunately the soundtrack for Capricorn one is rather boring and repeating the main theme that often gets a bit annoying at times. I rate the audio editing 4 of 5.
The image quality of the movie is sufficient, yet it suffers a bit from interlacing problems and a rather low bitrate. Using PCM audio only takes too much disc space, which shows on the image quality. My PAL original looks a lot better. Also 16 to 9 is standard these days and is also, what the original DVD is in. Turning it to 4 to 3 is an unnecessary degradation. Resulting in a 3 of 5 for image quality.

DVD Details: The fanedit comes with an interesting 23 minutes commentary, animated menus, cover art, an additional slideshow, animated scene selection. It is really a nice DVD. On the contra side it should be mentioned that using PCM audio only takes too much disc space, which shows on the image quality. 5 of 5 for the DVD authoring.

Conclusion:
The original movie is rather a detective story than a science fiction movie, rather a suspense thriller than an action movie. The faneditor tried a lot to work on the pacing, to make the movie faster and more menacing. Unfortunately this was done on cost of the depth. To me the fanedit is very superficial, where the original has a lot of depth to it on many levels. The problem is that I seem to like everything the faneditor hated about the original, so I am probably the worst choice of person to review his work here. I loved the cliff joke, I enjoyed the car without brakes scene, I really liked Telly Savallas and I am a fan of Elliot Gould...
Still I am sure people can and will enjoy this fanedit. It is not amateurishly done and I am looking very forward to the next works of Nick Mollo, who is among those rare faneditors, who risk a lot for a new view and not just little cuts here and there.
The overall rating from me is 3 of 5 (because of the entertainment rating, which is the most important one for me, I cannot give a higher rating, although the sum implies a 4 out of 5).

boon, thank you for the review, I mean it.

LandSm.jpg

My FanEdit ELEVEN has really slipped under the radar. It seems that quite a few have seen it (It has been downloaded over 150 times) but it has failed to provoke much reaction. Judging by the "10 most viewed posts on fanedit.org" thread, being on the opening page of FanEdit.org has a lot to do with how much attention your FanEdit might get.

Maybe apart from the featured movies at the top of the FanEdit.org page, a new link could be added, maybe called "Top Ten" or "FanEdit.org recommends" and could list popular or different FanEdits on a monthly basis that have moved off the front page and are getting less exposure. The moderators could pick them as they see fit. The moderators also could write a short one-line assement of the fan-edit of their choice (instead of a tag line) such as "This Matrix edit is the best of all the Matrix sequel Fan-edits" or " This Fan-Edit shows how a movie can be completely re-envisioned". It is bit like those lists that people make on Amazon but instead this would be controlled and selected by moderators.

10 Most Viewed Posts Thread http://forum.fanedit.org/viewtopic.php? ... a&start=90

that's why we will have the new promo page in place, to keep the fanedits that the faneditors care about in the radar.

Judging from your promo thread, it sounds a little different to the idea above.

NickMollocopy.jpg

Nick Mollo said:
My FanEdit ELEVEN has really slipped under the radar. It seems that quite a few have seen it (It has been downloaded over 150 times) but it has failed to provoke much reaction. Judging by the "10 most viewed posts on fanedit.org" thread, being on the opening page of FanEdit.org has a lot to do with how much attention your FanEdit might get.

Maybe apart from the featured movies at the top of the FanEdit.org page, a new link could be added, maybe called "Top Ten" or "FanEdit.org recommends" and could list popular or different FanEdits on a monthly basis that have moved off the front page and are getting less exposure. The moderators could pick them as they see fit. The moderators also could write a short one-line assement of the fan-edit of their choice (instead of a tag line) such as "This Matrix edit is the best of all the Matrix sequel Fan-edits" or " This Fan-Edit shows how a movie can be completely re-envisioned". It is bit like those lists that people make on Amazon but instead this would be controlled and selected by moderators.

10 Most Viewed Posts Thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3986&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=90

the little selection on the top is already that. It is a recommendation of good fanedits from the staff (as long as there is no other special faneditor award).
Besides that the promo page is a chance for faneditors to promote their works, not dependent on the attitudes of others or on reviews.
But what I could offer is that members write such a best-of-list, like you say it, comment on it and we make a post on it on fanedit.org called "Member recommendations" or "High-Five"or something like this. There would be a menu link to this.

I think it's a good idea because people are lazy, as I am, and the opening page of any website is the grabber. Sometimes it can be quite hard finding an edit if it is not on the first few pages. I like the idea of FanEdit.org or members recommend list with a quick reason as to why you recommend it.

NickMollocopy.jpg

ok. I will put something up for it on the website news. Thing is: it will require those who want to create such a list to work a bit for the settings, because I currently don't want additional work on the website.

I know nothing of web design and the little I know is Mac based.

It only needs to be one page just like the opening page of the site and with very little information but the title - Members Recommend or FanEdit.org Recommends. 10 small pictures of the cover of the Fanedit which are links to the film and to the right a short one sentence quote by the member. "This is the best fan edit I've ever seen!"

Maybe members will want to do it because they feel for a certain edit. I would say the only rule should be that the recommended fanedit should not be one that is on the opening of the site.

NickMollocopy.jpg

Back
Top Bottom