• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

editing software questions

ultimatesquash

Reaction score
Trophy Points
im going to restart a project in another program rather than womble what is the best way? what would happen to my audio if i were to do this:
im going to rip dvd to open in womble instead of editing use it to export just the movie and deleted secenes (sperately) as an mpg muxed(rather than demuxed with seperate ac3 file as premiere doesnt seems to support them). will my audio become then stereo?
im doing this as im sick and tired of how tempremental womble has been banging extra frames into my edit with different burns knocking sound out of sync etc. don't get me wrong i think womble is amazing what it can do but its editing seems so limited i feel like the a-team when trying to make an edit. just moving everything along the timeline is a chore having to select everything rather than a shortcut(or have i missed that?). any help please?

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It totally depends on which software you want to use. There are editors that can handle and output surround (Vegas) and others that don't although they claim they do (Ulead Media Stuido Pro, Adobe Premiere).
The big plus for womble is the smart rendering engine. If you manage to make your cut in there without transitions, you can do a terrific job qualitywise and keep your surround sound. But if you need to do a bit more then it gets complicated. However, ADM is the man for that. He can probably be of much more help than I can.

ultimatesquash

Reaction score
Trophy Points
do you think it would be a good idea to do the whole edit in womble without transitions and add the transitions in premiere when editing the soundless mpg? or just have it as a stereo edit (im not bothered about surround to be honest). boon are your edits in surround? also i cant believe how fast you reply to post and manage to watch,download,make and create art for fan edits.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hehe, yeah, where is my real life when I need it? Nah, I am just spending quite a lot of time in front of my computer and since fanedits are my hobby it all flows into the next activity. Sometimes it is really tedious though, but "all good things to those, who... :) work."
Back to your question:
I am working with Ulead Media Studio Pro, simply because it can handle transitions without getting out of sync and it lets me perfectly adjust the audio inthe way I want it. I don't need an external audio editor later on (only during the editing proces, when I want to add music or sound bits, for which I use Adobe Audition 1.5, because 2.0 is full of bugs). The audio engine (which is only stero) in UMSP is fanatastic, because I can listen to the result while I am editing. This makes staying in sync pretty easy.
Later on I use veags to create fake 5.1 audio, so it will soudn pretty good on asurround system without being real surround sound, but that's the rice you pay for getting what you want. I don't need the full surround sound when keeping it costs me movie quality.
So... if you want to work with womble, work it the way womble can. Find out the weaknesses and avoid them. Other editors have other strengths and weaknesses. Womble is unsurpassed in video and audio output quality, because of smart rendering. If it was more flexible I would use it more often. But to me it is only a supporting tool, when others fail.

ultimatesquash

Reaction score
Trophy Points
nice answer. fake 5.1 sounds cool. do you achieve that merely by importing the sound file into the program and converting? im not too familiar with vegas

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
yes, that's about it. Vegas has an option to create 5.1 from 2.0 which is VERY impressive in its result. It rules over regular stereo any day.

Top Bottom