• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Editing BetaMax footage

7cjbill2

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello, all. I just signed up today. I have visions of doing a fanedit on an old original movie that is probably more for myself than anyone else. I currently do some things like this at work (Mostly ASTM testing videos) but this will be my first foray into something like this.

This source material will be BetaMax, mostly for the untouched/un-modified original soundtrack, and adding in video from a recently released DVD version and a broadcast TV version that I happen to own a copy of...

I have a semi-decent video/capturing PC setup at home, but what I'm really looking for is good editing software that will lend itself well to my capturing off of an analog Beta source into the PC. Mostly I do this at work with DV/Firewire so that is really easy, and I use a very watered down version of Pinnacle Studio for that.

Any advice/recommendations?

capturing and editing should be done separately. Once you have a decent transfer in a digital format, you can use any video editing software. read around this subforum, you will find plenty of info on each editing application.

7cjbill2 said:
Any advice/recommendations?

You seem to know what you are doing in terms of capture, but you might consider doing some research on videohelp.com, if you have not done so already, and if necessary post a thread there. There are some people there who know a great deal about how to process such material, and they are usually happy to help.

Yeah, thanks. The capture I can handle but I will definitely need some assistance and education WRT the editing. :)

and since you are working with a now much older betamax format I would STRONGLY recommend running the signal through a TBC (time base corrector) and then capture. If that is not an option (they are expensive) and if you do encounter syncs issues with a pc capture, I would then suggest getting a home deck dvd recorder which would at least get it digitized

Planning on it, got a TBC-1000 for old VHS testing videos so that should work good. I need to locate a really decent BetaMAX player that the owner doesn't think is made of gold.

7cjbill2 said:
Planning on it, got a TBC-1000 for old VHS testing videos so that should work good. I need to locate a really decent BetaMAX player that the owner doesn't think is made of gold.

That is the TBC I own. In my case my old Beta deck that I had from the 80's (Sony Sl-2410) was on it's way out (it even had a cracked circuit board and STILL played tapes) because the tracking control started to fail. Just at that moment of despair I found the same exact model in nice condition on ebay. I have both here. It may take time, but you can find some good deals. Though your best bet might be trying to track down a super Beta.

If you don't mind me asking, what film is it?

"Fast Times at Ridgemont High" w/ original theatrical music + all deleted scenes from the broadcast version.

If that's the project, why use the BetaMax? Why don't you just use the DVD and add the music where it belongs?

That's the plan, to get the original music off the Beta and add it to a higher quality format rip but while I'm at it I wanted to preserve a good, clean digital copy of the original 1982 Beta version for my own personal archive purposes.

7cjbill2 said:
That's the plan, to get the original music off the Beta and add it to a higher quality format rip but while I'm at it I wanted to preserve a good, clean digital copy of the original 1982 Beta version for my own personal archive purposes.

That makes sense.

7cjbill2 said:

This is also sounds as if it might qualify as a preservation, so you might consider going down that route too. I am not familiar with this particular film, but whatever the quality of the Betamax version turns out to be, there are those of us who enjoy preservations of old TV material because of nostalgia, regardless of the quality.

7cjbill2 said:

If I am not mistaken, I really thought they finally did release a dvd version with all of the original music restored? I too have it on beta that I recorded off showtime/hbo/cinemax back then. That version has the original music as well. I recall watching the vhs at a friend's house and hearing the awful music they used to replace the good music that occured during the football game. Also a nice composite is out that has all of the tv footage re-edited back into the film, so that might help speed things up for you

Actually, the "original restored score" is a re-score. The original 1982 theatrical release and Beta/VHS versions (prior to 1986 re-release) have some different musical selections. Is the "composite" you speak of a commercial release? -- all I know of those are the re-scored theatrical only. If it's a fanedit, though, I'd appreciate being pointed in the direction of that as I'd like to see someone else's "take" on it before I go ahead and do the same thing for myself!

7cjbill2 said:
Actually, the "original restored score" is a re-score. The original 1982 theatrical release and Beta/VHS versions (prior to 1986 re-release) have some different musical selections. Is the "composite" you speak of a commercial release? -- all I know of those are the re-scored theatrical only. If it's a fanedit, though, I'd appreciate being pointed in the direction of that as I'd like to see someone else's "take" on it before I go ahead and do the same thing for myself!

well it is good to know I have the original theatrical with the original music. The composite was fan made and seems to be floating around (tehparadox had it a while back). Whether or not it is the same version as the one I got from trading years ago (seems to be) I could not verify, but if it was the one I received, that was done professionally on broadcast equipment, that I do know for a fact

Back
Top Bottom