• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Editing a 5.1 track in Vegas

Okay... got the program... now what is the most basic way to convert an ac3 file into 6 mono tracks? I'm still trying to figure out all of the little tweaks in the program, and so far I just keep getting one 2-channel wav file.

I just did some tests with my copy of Vegas 8 on my laptop and it turns out you can import ac3 into Vegas, but there's a trick to it: you have to import the VOB files from the ripped DVD directly into Vegas, which will create a Video Track of the mpeg-2 video and Audio Tracks for any soundtracks present in the VOB file (so if you ripped a single 5.1 soundtrack, one Audio Track will appear - if you ripped three soundtracks , three different Audio Tracks will appear).

Now having said that, I still prefer using the BeSweet method to create the 5.1 mix, because importing ac3 using the method I just described results in only one Audio Track to edit from - the BeSweet method, I feel, gives far greater control over audio editing/mixing because it lets you work with 5 separate Tracks as opposed to 1.

It's a miracle, I'm finally getting thins to work! I managed to split an ac3 file into 6 channels (took me long enough!) Now I'm testing out a clip from Tom Yum Goong by using the center track (which is dialogue and sound effects only) and adding my own music for the left/right and surround channels, plus background reverbs. Here goes nothing! Thanks everyone for the help!

Back
Top Bottom