• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Editing a 5.1 track in Vegas

OfficiallyUnofficial

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey, quick question. I notice a lot of fan edit projects that have 5.1 tracks on them, and I'm wondering how I can edit/create 5.1 audio in Vegas? I even tried creating a small 5.1 audio DVD with Vegas 6 and DVD Architect 3, and it only came out in 2 speakers. I thought I'd ask because I really want to have my 30 Days of Night project in 5.1 rather than simple stereo, just to make it more professional. Since it's just a matter of cutting and moving 5.1-based scenes, I figured it wouldn't be too difficult... once I figure out how to do it, that is :-D

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!

for vegas 7 and 8 you need to buy the ac-3 surround plugin.
then it is just:
render as...
select dolby surround 5.1
and it should work.

boon23 said:
for vegas 7 and 8 you need to buy the ac-3 surround plugin.
then it is just:
render as...
select dolby surround 5.1
and it should work.

So you can edit ac-3 in Vegas 7 and 8? I know 6 can render ac-3, but not edit/play. I've thought about upgrading lately, and this might be the best reason if it can edit.

vegas 7 even opens a surround file even in different tracks (lrc front, lr back, sub).

boon23 said:
vegas 7 even opens a surround file even in different tracks (lrc front, lr back, sub).

Now that's what I call super service! Thanks a ton for the heads up!

Btw, one more thing... if I use Vegas 7 or higher, can I open a saved project from Vegas 6? Just making sure since I'm still using 6 to finish up the Dawn of the Dead project. Thanks again!

OfficiallyUnofficial said:
Btw, one more thing... if I use Vegas 7 or higher, can I open a saved project from Vegas 6? Just making sure since I'm still using 6 to finish up the Dawn of the Dead project. Thanks again!
I had no problems with opening any of my Vegas 7 projects in the later Vegas 8 Pro - the only problem you may run into is if you try to open a Vegas 7 project in Vegas 6 (of course, that's pretty much true with most types of software ).

JasonN said:
OfficiallyUnofficial said:
I had no problems with opening any of my Vegas 7 projects in the later Vegas 8 Pro - the only problem you may run into is if you try to open a Vegas 7 project in Vegas 6 (of course, that's pretty much true with most types of software ).

Yeah, makes sense... it'd be like trying to play a DVD in a CD player :lol: Thanks everyone for the help... I think it's about time for me to update my Vegas...

Okay... well, I've got 7 up and running, which has also fixed some FX issues I've had in the past ("old film" effects originally wouldn't animate, just sit there). However, I can't find a plug in to open ac3 files. Apparently I can still render them, but I haven't been able to find any downloads for ac3 plug-ins in order to actually import them.

you need to order the plugin from sony. It is a registration code.

Yeah, I'm looking around... not sure where to find where to buy/download/add the new plug-ins. Sorry if I seem to be REALLY slow with this whole process :?

when you try to render in 5.1 it should pop up.

Well, rendered an ac-3 file... and, nothing else popped up. Still can't import. I really do appreciate you responding so fast to all of this... hope I'm not coming across as a big-ass pest.

you are not. I don't know, what the problem is then, because I can import ac-3.

boon23 said:
you are not. I don't know, what the problem is then, because I can import ac-3.

Hmm, guess I'm haunted :? Well, thanks again for all the help... guess I'll just keep attacking this and see what happens.

There is a workaround: use BeSweet to split the audio into separate mono tracks and drop them into Vegas. This is the method I always use for 5.1 editing in the program.

Ghostcut said:
There is a workaround: use BeSweet to split the audio into separate mono tracks and drop them into Vegas. This is the method I always use for 5.1 editing in the program.
I was also going to suggest that method as well - it works great and gives you a lot of control over the audio mix.

Boon: I may be wrong, but I believe that the ac3-encoder plugin is now included as a part of the Vegas 8 Pro collection and is no longer available to buy seperately from Sony - however, the Vegas version no longer supports ac3 import (but DVD Architect does).

..one more reason for me to not upgrade to version 8

... So what are the other reasons?

I am happy with my vegas and the new one is expensive.

Ghostcut said:

Thanks! I started looking for a separate ac3 channel splitting program, and this sounds like what I'm looking for!

Back
Top Bottom