• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Edit in x264?

DoctorM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've got a project I'm working on that's spinning out of control.

I've got 3 different sources I'm working with and I'm considering tossing out what I've done to work primarily with an HD-x264 source.

The problem is, the only method to do this that I can find is to use avisynth to cut/join and then re-encode to x264 (there'll also be a DVD version).

Is anyone aware of program (a sort of an Vdub or Womble) that can cut and join x264 video directly without re-encoding?

This project would be so much easier to edit in HD then encode to DVD and be done. Otherwise I'll I need to script edit the whole thing and then encode DVD and then encode x264 separately.

well, i know you can edit HD in the new version of Vegas.... don't know much else than that... but you can do it. don't know how good the HD encoding is, or how much it actually encodes.... might have to read up on that.

Well I Womble seems to be capable of editing HD, but only in Mpg.

Are you saying Vegas can handle x264/avc?

Edit: Just checked, their website says Sony HDAVC. Not exactly the same but MIGHT work.
The problem is I've never gotten Vegas to work on my system.

well..... i don't even know what exactly x264 or HDAVC are, other than some form of high def... lol so you know more than me.... i just thought i'd throw out that the new versions of Vegas will do HD... that's all i know lol
i hope it helps.

i know you can download a trial version of the software... though i don't know if you can render stuff out.... but at least you might be able to see if it could open and manipulate the files.

i've submitted questions to them and they've always answered me, in case you wanted to ask them.

Hmm. I'm not sure what format it needs to be in.
Vegas doesn't seem able to load x264 as either a raw file, mkv or mp4.

Googling, it's been mentioned that Ulead's Video Studio can... but i have no idea how that is as editing software.

Though on the upside, I final managed to get Vegas running... except now I don't need it.

Nope Video Studio is the same.

Here's what I know now. It's the same thing I ran into before when looking into BD-9 discs.

You can do some rough cut and merge of x264 streams but the real editing software is designed for Blu-Ray/HD-DVD/Digital Vid Cams.

The 'official' version of H.264 used for these formats is AVCHD.
This format unfortunately varies enough form x264 to make x264 unloadable in editing packages.

hmmmm.....well, i don't really know what most of that means lol
i think i'll just leave all that to you, since i'm totally clueless lol

The simple answer is that AVC/H.264 (same thing) compression stands to replace both Xvid and mpeg2.

x264 is a free encoder that supports the format. You can find lots of standard and HD rips compressed with x264 now (instead of divx/xvid).

BluRay and HDDVD are capable of using Mpeg2, AVC or VC1. Mpeg2 is of course what's on standard DVDs but it is dated and inefficient. VC1 is M$'s bid for market share. The AVC used here is still H.264 compliant (as is x264) but is AVCHD which is proprietary and there are some specific tweaks to it that the x264 people haven't figured out how to duplicte yet in order to be 100% hd/bd disc compliant.

do you know how to convert x264 to an mpg2 for DVD? I have a clip I would like to convert, and I cant seem to get it to load in anything. I would prefer to use CCE.

EDIT: after updating to the newest k-lite codec pack, it seems to be working in TMPGEnc, although I would prefer still to figure out how to use it in CCE

EDIT2: ok, video works fine in TMPGEnc, but audio output is silent

If you have an x264 codec installed like ffdshow or CoreAVC you can use an avisynth script just add directshowsource("filename.mkv").
Probably an mkv file right?

Anyway, then you can take your script right into CCE.

If you want to do anything more than a direct reencode you should look into the alpha build of DGAVCIndex.

DoctorM, I used that avisynth script for CCE and it "worked" however I was not pleased with the results of the video. I got some very unnatural motion happening. It seemed like the video would speed up at parts. It just looked very unnatural.

I was able to convert it fine in TMPGEnc though.

Ok, then use DGAVCIndex.
It's alpha and I don't think there has been any development in awhile.

I found it crashed a lot when I used it, but I also had like 100 cuts and called 4 or 5 avisynth scripts from within the script I was passing to CCE.

When I use it for direct HD2DVD projects it works a dream.
Get it here: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=122598

You may need a tryout version of ffdshow's libavcodec, but the most recent release version seems ok for most things.

thanks again doc, I will give this a try. :)

btw... what ever happened to your Harry Potter HD stuff?

all of Gekko's fanedits come in h264.
To convert them to DVD I am using TMPGxpress 4 with a 2-pass hq setting. It is doing an awesome job there. I have tried lots and lots of other tools, but that one is there first one where I found the result sufficient.
There is another program that claims to be able to do that. Rhozet Carbon Coder, but it is way to expensive, so I can't tell for sure.

Back
Top Bottom