• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Edit Complete. Now to make the DVD.

Pagz

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've completed my edit in Sony Vegas and I'm ready to create my DVD. The question now is, how?
Do I render my video file as an AVI using my Lagarith codec and then convert it to mpeg? Do I render out the audio channels separately? The goal is a dual layer 5.1 audio dvd. I'll be building the DVD with DVD lab pro.
Who has some directions for me? :)

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
there are plenty of guides here on DVD Lab pro, so do some reading first. To get started, I recommend rendering your edit to lagarith AVI from Vegas, and using an encoder (The Film Machine with HQ Enc is a good free one, or CCE for pay) to make DVD compliant streams. Then have fun with Lab Pro to author it.

Pagz

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's not DVD Lab where my problem lies, it's what to do with my files in Vegas to even get started.

When I render the AVI do I include the audio, or am I just rendering the video?
If I'm rendering the audio with the video, is there a specific order the tracks need to be in on my composition to ensure proper translation into 5.1?
If rendering the audio separately, do I render each track out as a mono track or can vegas render them out as a 5.1 track, and if so, what order do they need to be in in the composition?

I've been going through the DVD authoring forum, but so far everything I find assumes this knowledge already and is starrting later in the process.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Look in the Fanediting Applications forum.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
as Frink said, there are lots of topics (especially for Vegas) that cover this in the Fanediting Applications forum.

The CliffsNotes version:
-render video from Vegas to lagarith AVI
-render audio from Vegas to DVD-compliant 5.1 AC3 stream
-convert lagarith AVI to DVD-compliant mpg video stream (m2v) using a high quality encoder (CCE, HQ Enc, TMPGEnc, etc.)

you now have DVD compliant audio and video streams to work with in your authoring program.

Top Bottom