• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

easy and effective de-interlacing

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Interlaced movies can be a true bitch to work with.
Here is a method that worked quite well for me recently.
It uses an avisynth script created with megui tools, so you do not need to learn any code.

tools you need:
megui: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MeGUI

what it will do:
change the fps from 29.97 to 23.976 by getting rid of the pulldown flags, deinterlace the other frames to give you a good quality progressive source to work with.

what you need:
an mpg or m2v video

what you will get:
an avisynth script which you can load either in virtualdub (for creating a lagaraith avi for example) or in CCE (for final conversion to m2v) or other tools that can handle avisynth scripts.

the guide:
1. launch MEGUI
2. tools DG INDEXER --> D2V CREATOR (this will make it possible for avisynth to properly read your movie file).
2.1 input your movie --> no audio demux --> queue
2.2 switch to tab QUEUE --> start (now DG INDEX will analyze your movie - it can take a bit of time. It will then create a small .d2v file in th edirectory, where the movie is)
3. avisynth will automatically open, also will a preview window --> switch to tab FILTERS --> analyse
3.1 you will now have your video analysed for interlacing issues. Just accept the offered suggestion, usually it is TIVCT.
3.2 (not obligatory) use the noise filter (minimal noise) to avoid all flickering.
3.3 save
4. leave MEGUI open (not sure if this is necessary or not) and use the avisynth script for virtualdub or CCE.

you can use virtualdub to check the quality of your deinterlacing by previewing
if unhappy start again with step 1 and try the other deinterlace options.

thanks boon. interlacing can be teh megasuck. any tool to help with this is greatly appreciated. Will give this a go... thanks!!

Huge thanks, Boon. :)

I'm guessing that by
2.2 switch to register QUEUE --> start
you mean switch to the Queue tab, and press start. I'm getting an error indication at that point. I have loaded an m2v that has been run through Womble GOP fixer. Any ideas why I'm getting an error?

corrected my guide.
you are getting an error with dgindex?
try the standalone tool then: dgindex
then use megui's avisynth script creator to continue.

one of my projects in my new job is to convert all the old educational videos to digital format so this will come in very handy 8)

Been needing a good way of de-interlacing for a couple of projects I've been working on but have yet to find one that I'm happy with, will have to give this a try. Thanks.

avidemux is good for this, too, and you can use huffyuv (a plus!)

Add video filters Decomb Telecide + Decomb Decimate (default options should suffice)
Set video codec to huffyuv
Set audio codec to copy
Set container to AVI (or whatever...)

also really good at doing the above AND resizing big HD 1080i broadcasts to DVD (mpeg2/ps of course) ;)

megui hates me. won't even think about running on my XP computer.

OK. Problem solved. Make sure to restart computer to motivate megui to update.

What I don't understand is how you reinterlace after editing to make your DVD. NTSC needs to be 60i to play properly on a 60 Hz TV. Does the encoder do this?

well, of course a DVD has to run at 29.97fps and for that you need to use pulldown.

Yes; dgpulldown can add a pulldown to make 23.97fps into 29.97 fps, but if your source is fully progressive (after being deinterlaced) how do you reinterlace it. Or does dgpulldown do this too? I mean will a frame become two fields again with this option?

29.97 is interlaced, yes.

that is correct. :)

EDIT: Sorry, this was a case of my not understanding someone on another forum who doesn't have the same first language as I do. (The joys of international communication! :smile: ) I have resolved my confusion.

The problem was we were (it seems) debating hard-telecined DVDs and each getting the wrong end of the stick. I thought there was something I could do to reduce telecine judder, but there isn't. My bad!

It seems region 3 DVDs are often encoded as 29.97 fps (interlaced) and don't have pulldown flags. This might also further explain why I first found it hard to apply Boon's custom framerate Dgpulldown trick to one of my DVDs.

Back
Top Bottom