• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Earth One: A Beezo Fan Edit of 'Another Earth'

beezo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi Everybody,

I just finished my edit of Another Earth, which I've titled Earth One. Before submitting to the .info site, I'd really like to get another editor's sharp eye to look for technical and/or story problems.

The purpose of the edit was to remove the more obvious symbolism in the film and make it more scientifically digestible. I've also removed VOs, trimmed some of the weaker moments in acting and modified the opening so that there's a little more mystery to the film.

Thanks in advance!

(PM for link, I guess)

beezo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi everybody,

A few months back, I completed my fanedit of Another Earth, retitled Earth One - A Beezo Fan Edit. I thought I went through the right channels to get it approved, insofar as it would be listed on the site as a new edit and then added to the imdb site. However, I must have taken a misstep. So, I'm trying again to get that sweet, sweet approval. :p

Faneditor Name: Beezo
Original Movie Title: Another Earth
Fanedit Name: Earth One
Fanedit Subtitle: A Beezo Fan Edit
Franchise: None
Fanedit Type: FanFix
Fanedit Release Date: February 2015
Original Running Time: 115
Added Footage: 3
Fanedit Running Time: 95
Available in HD? Yes
Brief Synopsis:

The purpose of this edit was to remove all of the imagery of Earth 2 being in close proximity of Earth 1 and to otherwise remove scientific implausibilities throughout the film. A mystery component was added to the film by removing the opening scenes. Bad acting was trimmed, VOs were removed and a new, less troublesome, ending was provided.

Highlights of the edit include the following:

This edit hides Rhoda's role in the accident throughout the film. All shots of Earth 2 are either removed or replaced. All VOs are removed where possible. The ambiguous ending of revealing Rhoda 2 was removed.

Earth One : Fan Edit of Another Earth

- Removed all shots of Earth 2 throughout the movie
- Commentary track included

Act 1:

- Removed party / "Jupiter" V.O. / Accident
- Added "Look at us" V.O.
- Added footage of Earth
- Added Earth One Titles
- Removed most of brother's dialog in car
- Removed mother's dialog in car
- Removed "Am I alone?" V.O.
- Removed dialog, "But you have such a great mind."
- Removed hypothermia sequence
- Tweeked "Essay" V.O.

Act 2:
- Removed most of "It was my fault" dialog
- Removed ripping up of the check
- Removed "Another you out there." V.O.
- Added telescope shots of Venus (Earth 2)
- Removed "Dangers of Earth 2" V.O.
- Removed footage of astronauts
- Added Earth 2 at the beach sequence
- Removed "Driver was a minor" scene
- Tweeked "Wanna get high" scene
- Removed "Look at us" V.O.

Act 3:
- Removed "Happy" dialog
- Replaced many flashback shots
- Removed "Get out now!" dialog
- Removed Rhoda 2 reveal

----

MA links can be found on the dot info site.

If there's anything else I can or need to do to make this happen, please let me know!

Thanks,

Beezo

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't know how you submitted it before, but the correct way to do it is:

- User Menu --> Fanedit Submission
- Fill it out properly, click Submit at the end.

Otherwise you should PM an Administrator about it, instead of starting a new thread in the wrong forum section.

beezo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Whoops! I had forgotten about that altogether! I suppose this thread can be deleted. Thanks!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thread merged, renamed and moved.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
wow, I'm surprised to see this here. Another Earth has become my all-time-favorite movie. I thought it was brilliant.

I'm not sure about your edits, but I may check it out since I love this film so much.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Lol, I thought this was After Earth.

beezo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr

Yes, I'd be very interested to hear from someone who really enjoyed the movie in it's original form. I suspect you would like some of the minor changes, and less so on the larger ones. Explanations of my edits can be found on the commentary tracks, available on the DVD and BD versions should you be interested to hear.

TV's Frink

Yeah, I've already had a lot of confusion from people thinking that. Sooner or later, some faneditor here is going to tackle After Earth and do the impossible - make it interesting. :p

alnaln

Reaction score
Trophy Points
***SPOILER ALERT******

Beezo, I am one of those who liked the original.

I also listened to your commentary track, so I've seen your version twice.
I think that editing out the party and moving the crash reveal until later
made the film boring for the new viewer. As a fan of the original, I felt it
added very little to the suspense.

So while the edit was novel and almost seamless, it did little for me. And if
memory serves me right, I think the final scene with the doppelganger was
omitted as well. To me, that scene was classic sci-fi. Removing it lessened
the experience.

Please forgive the negativity of this post - but you asked for (honest) feedback.

beezo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
alnaln said:
***SPOILER ALERT******

Please forgive the negativity of this post - but you asked for (honest) feedback.

You watched it, listened to the commentary track and gave me honest feedback. There's nothing more I can ask! Thank you for doing so!

I suspected those who enjoyed the first might not be so receptive to this. For me personally, I'm not particularly fond of fanfixes of some of my favorite films too. I believe the commentary track spells out my intentions fairly well regarding the edits so I see no need to defend myself.

Thanks again for giving it a try and letting me know what you thought!

Rantus Vil

Reaction score
Trophy Points
As a new viewer to the film, I can attest to the success of removing the party and crash at the beginning. The mystery element played out perfectly. I posted a longer review on ifdb, so I won't reiterate much, but this edit is great for people who never saw the origina, such as myself.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rantus Vil said:
As a new viewer to the film, I can attest to the success of removing the party and crash at the beginning. The mystery element played out perfectly. I posted a longer review on ifdb, so I won't reiterate much, but this edit is great for people who never saw the origina, such as myself.

...but you do own the original, right?

Rantus Vil

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I probably should have mentioned that. Yes, my brother (whom I still live with) owns a copy that I always intended to watch. Never did though. He liked the original well enough.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
rebue posted on internal funedit donutbase:

Like the last reviewer, I wanted to see Another Earth when it was released but never got around to it. When Beezo released this edit, I chose to watch his version before the theatrical cut so that my first impressions of the movie would come from what I hoped would be the better of the two.

And whaddayaknow. . . I like Beezo's cut much better. The story remains coherent, overly obvious plot/emotional points get dropped into the dumpster, and the only appearance of Earth 2 appears to be in a dream sequence, which satisfies the science geek in me, which would be concerned about a heavenly body so close to Earth 1 fucking up our tides and crust integrity (and reciprocally, Earth 2's, too).

*Schpoiler alert*

I like that this edit is called Earth One, a thoughtful title choice. Its focus is on the characters and events of this planet, and I prefer Beezo's ending, which keeps things grounded, so to speak. The theatrical cut's ending is also interesting, but maybe because I saw Beezo's cut first, I find Beezo's ending a more natural place for the story to end and leaves more to the imagination. Beezo's ending also emphasizes better the theme of forgiveness and provides a bit more hope.

*End schpoiler*

One criticism: the mp4 file I viewed did not contain a commentary track, which could easily have been muxed in. Why should only the DVD and Blu-Ray viewers have all the fun? I would have liked to hear some fanediting insights but must resign myself to imagining (in Tom Servo's voice) why Beezo wants to open the space station airlocks.

Aside from that nitpick, I really enjoyed this fanedit of a really good movie. Because of edits like this, I want to continue, when possible, to see fanedits before cracking open the retail release, to see a better version first.

Enjoyjoy: 10 pelvic aerothrusts.

beezo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ssj said:
One criticism: the mp4 file I viewed did not contain a commentary track, which could easily have been muxed in.

Honestly, I didn't even know I could mux the two audio files in an mp4 when I finished this. However, I did figure it out for my latest edit Blade Runner: Danse Macabre.

Thanks for watching and writing such a thorough review! Glad you enjoyed it!

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Cheers, bezoar! Thanks for putting that edit together.

Top Bottom