• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

DVDFab scary glitch

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just learned about a major glitch with DVDFab the hard way. I was intending to rip to my hard drive but forgot to change the output folder, which defaults to burn to a new disc. So when it finished copying and ejected the source disc, I just re-closed it. Rather than halting the process and with an error message, it actually tried to burn over the source disc and destroyed it!!! Grrr.... :|

Really? Holy crap dude. Did you copy the whole disc?

EDIT: oh yeah, i guess it wouldnt matter :(

Waaahhhhh! Sadly a couple cool bits about sound design from The Two Towers Appendices will not be on my Behind the Scenes documentary now.

How could it have destroyed the source disc? Shouldn't it just have given you a message saying that the disc was full and couldn't be written onto, and then ejected the disc?

Beats the hell out of me, but it did.

wow, unheard of. Was the disc you were working with a burned disc or a commercially pressed disc?

Frantic Canadian said:
How could it have destroyed the source disc? Shouldn't it just have given you a message saying that the disc was full and couldn't be written onto, and then ejected the disc?

It would wipe and burn if the disc was a ReWritable.

AvP said:
It would wipe and burn if the disc was a ReWritable.

Well yes, but since he was ripping this disc for an edit I was assuming that the source disc was an official release that he purchased. Plus he said that it tried to burn over the source disc and ended up destroying it. If it was a ReWritable disc it would have simply erased the disc and then written over it, not destroyed it. ;)

ThrowgnCpr said:
wow, unheard of. Was the disc you were working with a burned disc or a commercially pressed disc?

It was the commercial disc that came with two towers bluray extended edition. Appendices are on DVD though.

geminigod said:
Waaahhhhh! Sadly a couple cool bits about sound design from The Two Towers Appendices will not be on my Behind the Scenes documentary now.

Ouch. I'm sorry to hear that, man. :-(

If it was me, though, I would have immediately purchased a replacement copy, but I'm obsessive that way.

Ok, a little more information about this after further investigation. Both good and weirder. The good news is that the disc itself appears not to be destroyed. I can still see the file structure, and it still plays properly with VLC. But neither DVDFab or Cyberlink PowerDVD 10 can access it properly anymore.

Now for the weird. I got my hands on a DVD version of the extended Two Towers (note the appendices discs are all DVD), and the same appendices disc does the exact same thing as described above. So this has me thinking that somehow in the process of accidentally sticking the source disc back into DVDFab to burn onto, it didn't actually try burning but must have messed up something in a reg file somewhere...

If anyone has any thoughts on how to fix this, please do share. It is more out of curiosity than anything at this juncture.

(EDITED)

Could be a mastering error when the discs were pressed.

Have you tried something like Blindwrite to copy it to another disc and try with the backup?

nOmArch said:
Could be a mastering error when the discs were pressed.

Have you tried something like Blindwrite to copy it to another disc and try with the backup?

Maybe I was unclear or maybe you haven't read my initial post on the thread...:|

2 different commercial discs - 1 from bluray extended edition & 1 from DVD extended edition do the exact same thing. They worked fine with all programs prior to the incident I described with DVDfab. Its not a mastering error, and I can't imagine making a 3rd identical disc would change anything.

geminigod said:
please edit the thread so it is more watchdog friendly.

Done. If you have a question regarding my editing of your posts, please PM an admin.

Good news regarding this matter. It would seem I forgot the golden rule of computer troubleshooting. Solution: Reboot. DVDFab and PowerDVD10 are now reading the disc fine again. I guess that the incident I described at the beginning of this thread must have cached something messed up about that disc into memory.

Case Closed.

Back
Top Bottom