• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

DVD Ripping

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Captain Khajiit said:
Gaith, editing this way is far better in the long run, and the benefits far outweigh the minor inconvenience that the use of two programs prior to editing causes. It seems so natural to me now that I don't even think about doing it.

I don't use TMPGEnc either. I use Muxman, of which there is a good free version that has never given me any problems. I find it better than Womble's own muxer. Give it a trry!

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Muxman

Ditto! Muxman does such a good job that most of the time I am making menus in one program and using just muxman to make my contents alone and then using dvdremakepro to merge the two together

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nice to know there's a route that doesn't involve buying another $37 program... but if I'm to use this circuitous route, I'll be needing some help. :)

So, I'm trying to convert ANH:R-Purist to mpeg, after dragging and dropping the dvd files to my hard drive... and PgcD gives me this:

85017082.jpg

Damned if I know what that error means. Am I even selecting the right input? 'Cause I tried selecting VTS_01_0, but that instantly spat out a tiny-ass video file with nothing in it. :razz:

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thats the wrong IFO. you'll have to go through them to see which one is the actual movie file. Start with VTS_01_1.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Throw is right. Gaith, can you see where it says PGC Selection? When you look through the other IFOs, you will find that the Titles radio button will not be grayed out for some of them. When you find that you can select it, you will see a running time. After a bit of looking, you will find one that matches your movie, or whatever else you need.

The Check A/V Delay button is really useful too. It shows information about all the audio tracks, and saves you from having to work out the delay yourself if your files are out of synchronization.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gah. I really should have been able to figure that one... :razz: thanks. :)

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ok guys, bear with me as I'm very new to this and I'm not understanding most of what I've read so far.

I'm trying to rip The Phantom Menace to my hard drive using DVDfab. I used the DVD Ripper to rip Title 1(1) (2:16:04 length) to a VOB. I then tried to demux using PgcDemux, but it wants an IFO file rather than a VOB. Did I do the rip wrong?

Already stumped... :oops:

Side note: Loaded the VOB into Womble and it looks ok, but when I put it on the timeline, the audio is out of sync for several minutes (from a few minutes in on) before going back into sync. Sometimes it is in sync if I let it play, but if I jump to a specific spot it is out of sync. Don't know what's going on there either.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rip the whole DVD to your hard drive, not just Title 1.

Full Disc --> Set the target to wherever you want on your hard drive. The rest of the settings should be right by default; just leave them.

Then use PGCDemux to pull out the film.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That seems to have worked. But I take it I need another program to separate the AC3 audio into separate channels?

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You do, but Womble is not really the best program to work with audio split into separate channels -- or have you bought Vegas Movie Studio?

ADM's guide has instructions on how to use Hypercube Transcoder to split the audio. Some people use Besweet, which will do a good job, but I don't because I don't like the program.

EDIT: Oh; I see you are still having problems with Vegas Move Studio. Womble will handle 5.1 in one file if you know how to handle the audio. Browse back through this and Tranzor's thread.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I want to buy Vegas Movie Studio. But I downloaded the trial version and I can't get it to run at all. I have an email into Sony but no response so far.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just read your post in the other thread and edited my post -- above.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes, I used Womble to put together a short TPM clip in my fan edit idea thread. It seems to work fine, but all I'm doing is cutting and pasting. For what I want to do I need to work with separate channels.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You'll have to get Vegas working then. You could try the trial of Adobe Premiere Elements, but most people find that runs more slowly than Vegas.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What is the best way to rip DVDs in the current year on Windows? I want to finally start editing, and I want to do it efficiently. Is there a better thread for my question?

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
What is the best way to rip DVDs in the current year on Windows? I want to finally start editing, and I want to do it efficiently. Is there a better thread for my question?

For DVD's I've been using DVD Decrypter to rip the whole disc onto my computer and then Handbrake to turn the file into an mp4, but there are lots of other output options.  

For Blu Ray's I use MakeMKV.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
musiced921 said:
For DVD's I've been using DVD Decrypter to rip the whole disc onto my computer and then Handbrake to turn the file into an mp4, but there are lots of other output options.  

Thank you so much, I will try this out when I get the chance.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Any tips on recommended settings for Handbrake?

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
Any tips on recommended settings for Handbrake?

I generally use the presets located on the right side.  

All have worked for me, but I'd stick closer to the HQ or Super HQ ones.  The Fast one I use if I'm ripping something that I'm ok with being of a slightly lower quality to throw onto my DropBox streaming, but for editing I use HQ for the most part.

Top Bottom