• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

DVD Ripping

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It seems that every program I have used to Rip a DVD onto my computer has failed in some way miserably.....either the dubbing is off, parts of the movie have a messed up picture, or the first half of the movie will have sound and the other half will be silence!

My question is what do you editors use to rip things onto your computer. At this point, I've had a DVD player hooked up to my computer and it just runs like I'm watching it on TV, but I'm actually capturing it onto the computer. Takes a while and the files are HUGE. Please recommend programs for me to try. Thank you in advance.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
dvd fab decrypter is the one and only ripper people should use. It is free, state of the art and can rip all new copy protections. I still like anydvd because I am used to it, but dvd fab decrypter is the better tool. Forget about dvd decrypter. It is old, no longer updated and cannot handle any newer copy protections.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^^ perhaps that should be reflected in the guide, then? :)

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I can't edit ADM's guide... it's ADM's guide :)

JMB

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Could we perhaps add a disclaimer in the thread?

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I use DVD Decrypter and AnyDVD. But I think, you might be able to use IMGBurn and AnyDVD.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
boon23 said:
dvd fab decrypter is the one and only ripper people should use. It is free, state of the art and can rip all new copy protections. I still like anydvd because I am used to it, but dvd fab decrypter is the better tool. Forget about dvd decrypter. It is old, no longer updated and cannot handle any newer copy protections.

couldn't agree more. I use DVD fab, and it rocks. hasnt failed me on 99.9999% of discs.

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
dvd fab has worked fine for me and is my preferred ripper, however I have had my share of odd issues with it where it would crash/not rip a disc when it should have:

1. greatest example is it seems to have problems even seeing a disc made with a jvc (drm100s) dvd recorder

2. Some movies that I backedup also with really no advanced protection crashed the ripper.

In that case anydvd did the job fine and the older dvd decrypter (which still has it uses) worked great with the jvc made dvds.

keeping both fab and decrypter is a good combo (and for the non free route anydvd)

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just tried DVDFab 6 on a quick hour or two's side project, and didn't find it anywhere as easy as dvd decrypter. For one thing, dvd decrypter makes an easy two core files - the audio and the video - whereas DVDFab splits the movie into 20-minute chunks. Moreover, there was no obvious "demux" option on DVDFab; is the idea to isolate and rip the elements separately, and then to line them up? Is there any chance of causing non-aligned hiccups in doing so?

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
while DVD decrypter is easier, DVDFab is more robust and can handle any CP I have encountered.

I usually rip the DVD in "full disc" VTS mode and then run the VOB's through PGCdemux to get the seperate M2V (video) and AC3 (audio) files.

I run the AC3 through 'Besweet' to seperate the tracks into 6 WAV's
I run the M2V through 'virtual dub mpeg 2' to get a lagarith lossless AVI

then its editing time!

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
elbarto1 said:
I use the m2v directely under Premiere Pro cs3 and it usualy works fine for editing.
Am I doing something wrong?

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I really dont know as I am unfamiliar w/ Premier Pro.

I am just following the tutorial Boon and ThrowgnCpr gave me when I asked them for conversion tips early on.

I am sure there are multiple ways to achieve the same goal, this one works very well for Vegas - which is what I use.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
elbarto1 said:
I use the m2v directely under Premiere Pro cs3 and it usualy works fine for editing.
Am I doing something wrong?

I don't think so. I think the situation was that many older programs did not handle direct editing of MPEG-2 files very well, and that many people's computers were not up to it and ran slowly or crashed, so people tended to convert to AVI. Perhaps newer machines and newer software can handle this better.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
I just tried DVDFab 6 on a quick hour or two's side project, and didn't find it anywhere as easy as dvd decrypter. For one thing, dvd decrypter makes an easy two core files - the audio and the video - whereas DVDFab splits the movie into 20-minute chunks. Moreover, there was no obvious "demux" option on DVDFab; is the idea to isolate and rip the elements separately, and then to line them up? Is there any chance of causing non-aligned hiccups in doing so?
Hola guys, I've still got this problem for DVDfab, and ditto for the ANH:r-Purist dvd. How does one do seameless edits in Womble if the playback stutters significantly when moving from one .vob file to the next (in-sequence) one? :)

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
you should really put the video in an mpg container. demux from the DVD files (you can use PGCdemux) and them mux back into an MPG (a variety of software can do this, including TMPGEnc). An MPG file extension is handled much better than the raw VOBs.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh, dear... TMPGEnc has never been kind to me... there's no program that offers the ease of dvddecypter; one must use two programs before even starting editing? Well, guess I'll give it a shot... thanks for the reply. ;)

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
Oh, dear... TMPGEnc has never been kind to me... there's no program that offers the ease of dvddecypter; one must use two programs before even starting editing? Well, guess I'll give it a shot... thanks for the reply. ;)

Gaith, editing this way is far better in the long run, and the benefits far outweigh the minor inconvenience that the use of two programs prior to editing causes. It seems so natural to me now that I don't even think about doing it.

I don't use TMPGEnc either. I use Muxman, of which there is a good free version that has never given me any problems. I find it better than Womble's own muxer. Give it a trry!

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Muxman

Top Bottom