• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

DVD Rebuilder problem - Cannot copy move: Data error (cyclic redunancy check)

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I recently shrunk 2 DVD's with DVD Rebuilder/CCE. No problems were encountered during the encode. However, when I try to move the files from one HDD to another, I got an odd error. All the files from disc 1 moved over fine but then all but one file from disc 2 moved over. The file in VIDEO_TS.VOB. The error that came up was Error copying file or folder. Cannot copy move: Data error (cyclic redunancy check)

Any idea why I can't simply move this file?

wabid

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Your data is failing a checksum of somesort, which means its integrity can not be verified and it is likely is corrupt. It could be the motherboard or cable, but chances are your hard drive is failing.

Not good.

You COULD try some crazy things like turning the hard drive on its side, or turning it upside down, and seeing if the data will copy correctly. It could be a mechanical read error and not platter damage. A better option would be to get software such as http://www.miray.de/products/sat.hdclone.html and make a complete duplicate of the disc, before anything else goes wrong. That means you should probably stop reading and writing to that disc until you can back it up. HD clone does some cool things to make drive backups painless. It is also cool in that it lets you do a "hot copy" which means you can backup your hard drive while your operating system is running. It is also much faster than standard copying because its fast copy mode does logical sector copying instead of just file copies.

Is this your os disk, or a separate hard drive?

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Separate HDD on my old XP computer. The HDD is older than hell and I'm prone to HDD failure so that seems about right. Great.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Give HDD Regenerator or Spinrite 6 a try, it may take a few days to fix the drive but it's worth a try.

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fix the drive? Doesn't it seem more like a mechanical failure? I'm moving important files off of the drive now and it's moving slower than molasses.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just give it a try, if it's a mechanical error then you've lost nothing and if it's a magnetic error then you're all good.

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Will do. Thanks guys.

Top Bottom