• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

DVD plays smoothly in player, not on computer?

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
seciors said:
Well I get what you are saying, and truthfully all I can tell you is that it did cause jerkiness.

I think you're assuming post hoc ergo propter hoc. Playing an AVC-encoded video (perhaps one with too many reference frames) on an old, slow computer that struggles to decode the stream could cause jerkiness, but it's extremely unlikely that a stand-alone player would have problems decoding and playing a DVD. A certain amount of jerkiness (caused by the 2:3 pulldown) is inherent to NTSC, and that might well be what you are seeing because changing GOP length should not introduce any inherent jerkiness to the video.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
seciors said:
my TV is 1080i CRT

lol, I just had a flashback to last year when I finally ditched my 1080i CRT and joined the year 2007 ;)

seciors

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
lol, I just had a flashback to last year when I finally ditched my 1080i CRT and joined the year 2007 ;)

Trust me, I want to replace it, but the thing weighs over 150lbs (and is only a 30" screen...)

But yeah, one of the things on my wish list is a new 1080p screen (and a real surround system!)

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Captain Khajiit said:
A certain amount of jerkiness (caused by the 2:3 pulldown) is inherent to NTSC, and that might well be what you are seeing because changing GOP length should not introduce any inherent jerkiness to the video.

I was wondering about that too. [MENTION=9560]seciors[/MENTION] has a good critical eye for technical details. Might this just be normal 2:3 pulldown choppiness on slow pan shots?

seciors

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Captain Khajiit said:
A certain amount of jerkiness (caused by the 2:3 pulldown) is inherent to NTSC, and that might well be what you are seeing because changing GOP length should not introduce any inherent jerkiness to the video.

geminigod said:
I was wondering about that too. seciors has a good critical eye for technical details. Might this just be normal 2:3 pulldown choppiness on slow pan shots?

Thanks for the compliment [MENTION=10512]geminigod[/MENTION] :), but in this case it definitely was not normal choppiness; I know because I have a disc that doesn't exhibit the choppiness. But upon further research, I also agree that GOP size shouldn't affect choppiness, only quality (which again, I did notice that).

One possible thing I was wondering was could a bad burn cause these kinds of problems? (I know it's unlikely).

With regards to my BD player upscaling DVDs, I couldn't find any settings that would allow me to disable such a feature, so it might be something built-in. or maybe it isn't upscaling. However, it does allow me to choose an output format (e.g., 720p, 1080i) and both of these formats are supported by my TV. It's possible that by switching the BD player to 720p and letting the TV do the interlacing, that might improve things as the TV might have better hardware that does the conversion. (right now I have the BD player outputting 1080i60fps).

When I get the time, I will do some more testing on this issue, as I am curious to what is going on, and maybe this will help someone down the line, someday. And I'll be sure to post results and info here.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If switching to 720p solves the problem, certainly this provides a strong indication that the problem lies with your TV. But this all isn't quite adding up in my head because first you said the playback problem was on your computer and not TV. Now you are saying the opposite. So what happened in between?

seciors

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
geminigod said:
If switching to 720p solves the problem, certainly this provides a strong indication that the problem lies with your TV. But this all isn't quite adding up in my head because first you said the playback problem was on your computer and not TV. Now you are saying the opposite. So what happened in between?

Well, playback never got fixed on my computer. But when I switched from 6 to 12 for my GOP length, that seemed to cause the choppiness on my TV. I mean, that's the only change I made. That's why I was wondering if a badly burned disc might cause problems like this. (I did create one coaster at one point while I was doing all my testing...)

I promise to provide some more data and investigation soon...now I need to get to bed; have to get up early tomorrow morning...

EDIT: I think if switching output from the BD to be 720p solves the problem, it would indicate that the problem is the BD player, right? Since the TV is 1080i native, and right now it is not doing any conversion to the signal. It is all on the BD player right now. Or maybe I'm missing something. However, this is just a shot-in-the-dark and I doubt this change would fix the issue.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah good point. I'm just grasping at straws. A CRT should never really "hiccup" But certainly a bad disc and/or dorky BD player could cause that. Both seem consistent with the fact pattern. Are you using Memorex anything by any chance? If so, move that right up to the top of the culprit list.

seciors

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
No, verbatim. But I do plan on redoing the disc just to eliminate that variable. It's a weird situation to be sure, but I think we need more data to really figure out what is going on.

EDIT: and both the TV and BD player are Sony.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It seems that coltonlolz has discovered fanedit.org. Colton, welcome to fanedit.org. You'll find this forum an easygoing place, but you'll also find that there is little tolerance here for the kind of behavior that recently got you banned from ot.com. Please consider this a friendly warning.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Such as posting something pointless on a 3 month old technical thread. I'm already annoyed.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The staff is well aware of Colton's m.o. and I can assure you it won't be tolerated here.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I only visit OT on rare occasion, to see if Adywan has finished.
Don't know nothing from nothing regarding baggage.
Hope you can lay low and contribute, CGR.

Top Bottom