• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

DVD movie style interface for audio dramas

Kirok

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'd like to tap into your expertise to see what options I have open for a project I have in mind.

I run an annual event called The Twelve Trek Days of Christmas, 2007 is here and 2008 is here, and for next Christmas I'd like to make some of the material available as downloadable ISO images of DVDs.

One thing I would particularly like to do is make a a DVD of Star Trek audio dramas that can be played on your home entertainment system to take advantage of the depth of sound and foley etc that the editors put so much work into. I know that my DVD player can play mp3's and they sound great but I'd like to make it a more polished experience. For example right now you pick them on an ugly static menu: is there some way of making the DVD "boot up" with a cut scene that I could get specially made that would cross-fade to a specially made menu screen?

Basically what I would like to do is make something like a movie DVD interface for audio dramas. Feel free to point me to other posts if this has been covered before.

What software would be required? I suppose it would be too much to hope that there's some freeware that would do it? If it can only be done by professional software I might bite the bullet because my son and I are thinking of trying our hands at machinima and animation later anyway.

There's some really great work being done as fan productions that can't be enjoyed to its fullest on a computer system - to be really appreciated it needs to be brought into the living room!

Cheers

Kirok of L'Stok
Fan Production Curmudgeon

From what I can remember, this is very easy to do in DVD Architect. You just need to create your intro video, put it into the workflow and set it as an introduction movie. DVD Architect is not expensive either, about £30.

Ghostcut said:
From what I can remember, this is very easy to do in DVD Architect. You just need to create your intro video, put it into the workflow and set it as an introduction movie. DVD Architect is not expensive either, about £30.
Thanks for the quick reply Ghostcut. Looks like it should cover most of the things I want to do in the short term except that it doesn't seem to support mp3s according to the features

... so my next question is - is there some way of "batch converting" mp3s into a format that can be used by DVD Architect (and which format would be the best balance of sound quality and file size) or is there an alternative DVD creator that can take mp3s?

Cheers

K

Looks like it should cover most of the things I want to do in the short term except that it doesn't seem to support mp3s according to the features ... so my next question is - is there some way of "batch converting" mp3s into a format that can be used by DVD Architect (and which format would be the best balance of sound quality and file size) or is there an alternative DVD creator that can take mp3s?
Having a quick poke around the forum it looks like the general advice is to get my media files into "DVD-ready mpeg elementary streams (video: .m2v, audio: .ac3)". Is there a budget way of doing this or would I be better to bite-the-bullet and get a more fully featured package like one of the Sony Vegas ones. I notice that Vegas Movie Studio 9 includes DVD Architect and is only US$54.95 - would that be a good starter package?

The reason I'm asking if there is any way of "batch-processing" the files is because just during 2008 there were 38 Trek audio dramas, all over 30 minutes each, so if there's any way of streamlining the process I'm all for it!

Cheers

K

PS - Found THIS comparison review of interest, but still think that the basic (Movie Studio 9) Sony Vegas package might be the best for me. We live in Australia but my son found that it was cheaper to buy from the US on eBay than the best internet price we could get. - K

you can use a converter like TMPGEnc 4 Xpress to batch convert files to elementary streams (.m2v and .ac3). If you plan on doing any video editing ever, the Vegas package you mentioned is a great starter, very powerful, and affordable.

Back
Top Bottom