• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

DVD Lab Compiled DVD Does Not Play Smoothly On DVD Player

Metrostar

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So, Ive compiled a DVD with DVD Lab Pro and burned the resulting files to a dual-layer DVD disc. I've tested it out on my computer and it looks great. Plays great. Sounds great.

Then I put the the DVD into my living room DVD player and press play. The video is jittery/jumpy/choppy throughout the entire movie. I try the disc upstairs on another player and it's exactly the same.

Any ideas?

You could try building a DVD with something besides DVDLab (like straight out of your editing app or The Film Machine) to see if you still get the problem. It might have something to do with encoding settings. If that's it, you could check that GOPs are closed and the bit rate is not too high.

Tried lowering the bitrate and it was still the same. Will try another editor. Not sure what you mean by "GOP's are closed."

GOP means group of pictures. The encoder groups the images in a defined way so the decoder can decode them. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inter_frame

Your encoder might have a setting for the GOPs to be open or closed. Closed takes up a bit more space but has maximum compatibility with players. I once encoded a video with open GOPs and it turned out a little bit jittery. That might not be the problem you are dealing with, but it's worth checking out.

what kind of blank media are you using? Have you tried re-burning another disc? Your problem could also relate to a field order mix up-- where the file should be top field but was flagged or encoded as bottom field first (or vice versa)- that will also cause the error you described

I only use Memorex and have never had any problems with the discs before. I have tried burning the disc again and I also tried using different burning programs. I am convinced it's not the disc, the burning software or the burner. It's got to be something to do with the files. I even tried using wav files instead of ac3 files for the audio.

I will look into the "field order" and GOP stuff asap. Thanks! :)

Fixed. I changed the field order to "None (Progressive)" and the burned disc plays without any jitter on both DVD players. Thanks for the help. It's appreciated.

Metrostar said:
Fixed. I changed the field order to "None (Progressive)" and the burned disc plays without any jitter on both DVD players. Thanks for the help. It's appreciated.

top/bottom field order does not have to do with a file being interlaced or progressive. However since you de-interlaced (hopefully this was done properly) your file and it works- cheers.

Let me give you a heads up on something else however-- for the rest of the world- Memorex are absolute worthless landfill shi*t and you never know exactly what garbage 4th rate pressing plant they are using for their disc since they change often and it is never anything good (checking the media code will always ensure that you are getting garbage). I will break it further--- I would rather never burn anything ever again than use anything from Memorex-

tranzor said:
Let me give you a heads up on something else however-- for the rest of the world- Memorex are absolute worthless landfill shi*t and you never know exactly what garbage 4th rate pressing plant they are using for their disc since they change often and it is never anything good (checking the media code will always ensure that you are getting garbage). I will break it further--- I would rather never burn anything ever again than use anything from Memorex-

I concur.

tranzor said:
top/bottom field order does not have to do with a file being interlaced or progressive. However since you de-interlaced (hopefully this was done properly) your file and it works- cheers.

I did try switching the field order around between upper and lower and it was still the same. None/Progressive worked great. Ok to leave it like that I assume.

I've never had any problems with Memorex. been using them for years. However, I have a big project for someone who wants all their home movies transferred to DVD from VHS. I've already done the slow part and got them on the computer. I didn't want to spend a lot on DL Dvd's and found Kodak ones on Amazon for $25 for 50. Free shipping. Any opinion on Kodak?

I've never had any problem with Memorex either. But I've only used their DL & the disks from Taiwan are manufactured by Ritek. Kodak is supposed to be much worse. Best bet is Mitsubishi Verbatim DVD-R, DVD+R or DVD+R DL, made in India, UAE, Singapore or Taiwan - according to this article http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm

Thanks for the tip Brumous. The kodak is already on order. The person who wants the DVD's will get what they pay for I guess.

Brumous said:
I've never had any problem with Memorex either. But I've only used their DL & the disks from Taiwan are manufactured by Ritek. Kodak is supposed to be much worse. Best bet is Mitsubishi Verbatim DVD-R, DVD+R or DVD+R DL, made in India, UAE, Singapore or Taiwan - according to this article http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm

Glad you posted that link (because I was going to) Verbatim DVD+R DL made in Singapore are still the best dvd+r DLs period. Also note that Verbatim has now outsourced it's dvd-r/dvd+r line. This was discussed quite a bit on videohelp.com (of which Lord Smurf a moderator there is the owner of digitalfaq.com) and I forgot exactly what you now had to look for, but buying them new (now) you really might be getting third rate crap, just like Sony

Back
Top Bottom