• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

dvd authoring software

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was just curious if anyone had any suggestions on DVD authoring software. Specifically one that is somewhat user friendly, but allows you a lot of control over the design. Here are the apps I have used and my comments/issues. Any insight would be appreciated.

Nero7 (w/ Nero Vision4) - No problems whatsoever with a/v sync, but almost no control over menus. I use it, yet cringe when I see my menus

Ulead DVD Workshop 2.0 - Great control over the menus, but I am constantly having issues with A/V sync. I dont use it much simply for that reason, but I love the ease, yet flexibility of layout and menu creation

Ulead DVD MovieFactory 6 - Just tried this, it seems like they took most of the menu flexibility out. I havent actually authored anything with it yet, because of the menu issues.

Adobe Encore DVD 2.0 - doesnt seem the most user friendly, although I havent tried much with it.

Cyberlink PowerDirector - very cookie cutter

i really like DVD Architect... but i'm not sure you can buy it seperately (it comes with Vegas, which i also use and like.)

it has full control over menus, and offers scripting capabilities as well (which i haven't used).

Same goes for DVD-lab Pro. Full control over everything, though there is a bit of a learning curve. I picked it up quickly enough.

A bad idea from the start, I think, is using the same program to encode your audio and video and author the DVD. I'd say get dedicated tools for those purposes.

yes, RB. Those one click tools or all-in-one solution finalyl make it harder for you, because you never knew what you did before.
On the other hand I am glad I got my windows and don't need to know anymore DOS. I might have no idea what the programs do, but I don't care either, because they do and I have time for the essential.

thanks for the comments. I have generally been using the software to both encode and author. I have looked at DVD-lab Pro, and I didn't have the time to break over the learning curve, maybe in the future. I guess I will have to start trying to encode elsewhere and use elementary streams. Hopefully that will work better in Ulead DVD Workshop 2.0. I like the interface, just haven't had luck with sync. let me know if you guys have any other sugestions

I think a very easy and good authoring program is TMPG DVD author. I tofers a lot and has a very easy interface.
If you don't need subtitles or something very special, this is the way to go.
The new version can even handle 2 subtitle streams.

I'll back up TMPG DVD Author for easy authoring. I haven't used it in a while, so I don't know how much has changed. When I used it, there wasn't a tremendous amount of menu flexibility, but there's enough that you won't cringe.

TMPG Enc is also a pretty spiffy encoder. Personally, I use CCE, but TMPG Enc does pretty damn well for itself, especially since it also encodes sound. The newer version can also convert to just about any other file format, which is really handy for uploading things to YouTube and suchlike.

Thanks guys, I have a copy of TMPG DVD author at home, not sure which version it is. I never tried anything with it. I have used TMPG Enc to encode things before. Keep the suggestions coming!

I've just started experimenting with DVD Lab Pro. One of the things I like about it is that if you attempt to do something a certain way and you're not suppose to do it that way, it doesn't just error out. It actually tells you how you should be doing it instead. I've found, so far, that that makes it a lot easier to use than it would be otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom